Caribou Gear

Antelope Advice for Beginners (WY Unit 21)

Oh, I almost forgot.... You should really arrive one or two days before season starts- you'll be able to drive around and find the areas that hold Antelope. That way you can make your "game plan" for opening morning based on actual Antelope sightings, and not optimistic hopefulness. :)

I'll toss in on this one, even though I'm much less experienced at 'Lopes than you guys that live in the West, I'm observant & a fast learner.

'Lopes don't need a magnum anything....They are smaller than most whitetails. More along the stature of Atlantic Coast swamp deer. 100 lbs and less.

The longest I've ever even seen a 'Lope was under 300 yds. The farthest shot under 100. Just the terrain and patience. I know that doesn't hold true for most. Still practice out as far as you can.

Have a plan for immediate meat care!!

They don't even try to hide...THEY RUN !!!!!!!! Don't even think of trying to chase after them. Your ATV won't keep up....

Last, and Most important....Their primary defense is Sight. Really let that sink in.

Good Luck.

Areas 21 and 22 never saw a decline in hunt pressure from opening day until the season close this past season. Incredible numbers of people! Idiots camping right at water sources, campers and trucks parked at the highest points in the unit, so that antelope could see them for miles.
Pressure is different for different areas. It seems that areas East of the Bighorns are getting plowed by "Easterners" now. Maybe because of a shorter drives/faster access from the East? My wife is so disgusted with the "circus roundup" that she actually told me not to buy her any tags this year.

Just applied this year for the first time.New in the hunting of antelope.Problem is I am not young.
Still had to try.
21looked most appealing to me ,no reason.
I read with interest the posts of some of you , especially bam bam and Manitou.
Quiet a bit of knowledge there.If anyone's willing to share some knowledge/guidance,it will be appreciated.
Don't have much to give back,but always willing to try a dinner in Cheyenne.

The good news is that there is still plenty of time for you to modify/withdraw your app and try elsewhere.
Thanks BlakeA,I just like to stop changing my my mind every day.
It drives me crazy.I kind of thought they dropped the hunter numbers,also it is one of the units that has some public land.
Probably not all accessible,but with one point only,I thought I will try the special.
More money ,but when you are almost 66 ,time is not plentiful too .
Any suggestions would be appreciated.Sorry I don't do guided hunts
Always one man show.

It drives me crazy.I kind of thought they dropped the hunter numbers,also it is one of the units that has some public land.
Probably not all accessible,but with one point only,I thought I will try the special.
Always one man show.
I'll pm you some advice

Always one man show.
If your willing to spend special $ in 21 why not just buy a tag in one of the states that sell them? New mexico, nevada etc would be a significantly better hunt for some more money. 21 isnt worth tag fee at regular cost!

I'll pm you some advice
I keep hearing about trespass ranches/fees.
How do you find them and get a spot?
Would that make a less public land unit more appealing?
As a NR ,never set foot in Wyoming don't really know the particulars.
I think most people asking questions here are in the same boat.
I myself ask, not for the "do",but for the "don't"s.
And always appreciate anyone taking the time to reply.

I keep hearing about trespass ranches/fees.
How do you find them and get a spot?
Would that make a less public land unit more appealing?
As a NR ,never set foot in Wyoming don't really know the particulars.
I think most people asking questions here are in the same boat.
I myself ask, not for the "do",but for the "don't"s.
And always appreciate anyone taking the time to reply.

I hunted 21 last year with some advice from some folks in this very thread. Followed their advice to a tee and we both tagged out by 9:30 opening morning hunting together with my dad.

I was in your boat last year applying for myself and my 63 year old father who doesn't want to/can't wait every ten years to go antelope hunting.

It probably wouldn't be my first choice but I'd go back if it was on the table again, just for the fly fishing.

Just FYI we only saw one other person with an animal on the ground besides us so I wouldn't go in expecting a gimmie and plan to walk and walk some more in 21.

I hunted 21 last year with some advice from some folks in this very thread. Followed their advice to a tee and we both tagged out by 9:30 opening morning hunting together with my dad.

I was in your boat last year applying for myself and my 63 year old father who doesn't want to/can't wait every ten years to go antelope hunting.

It probably wouldn't be my first choice but I'd go back if it was on the table again, just for the fly fishing.

Just FYI we only saw one other person with an animal on the ground besides us so I wouldn't go in expecting a gimmie and plan to walk and walk some more in 21.
You should post up some pics pf both the bucks, don't remember seeing any.

My brother shot a decent buck and I missed a decent buck last season in 21. Everyone is right, people are everywhere. I think Wyoming G&F might have had advertised a pronhorn tag sale in Wisconsin for this unit last year?? We had to hunt hard four days for the two opportunities. Lots of people just doing the wrong thing and spooking antelope from far, far away. If I was a NR I would probably look elsewhere but I dont have to save points either...

Attachments

• IMG_3239 (002).jpg
    IMG_3239 (002).jpg
    984.7 KB · Views: 24
I’m trying to make my plan for 2024 and after reading through 5 pages of Unit 21 bash fest I am still curious about it lol!
Is there anyone here who has any insight into how it is during the early archery season? I’m not interested in fighting the crowds in rifle season but with that many tags and that much accessible public it could make for a dang fun bow hunt?

With the special draw price increasing by a ton, and point creep what it is, my preferred unit I hunted 4 years ago is still out of reach so I’m getting ahead and exploring all my options now.
Feel free to PM any good info, or just post up more of the bad here!

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gcporteous
Back