Antelope Advice for Beginners (WY Unit 21)

Bam Bam

Oh, I almost forgot.... You should really arrive one or two days before season starts- you'll be able to drive around and find the areas that hold Antelope. That way you can make your "game plan" for opening morning based on actual Antelope sightings, and not optimistic hopefulness. :)

Gunner46

I'll toss in on this one, even though I'm much less experienced at 'Lopes than you guys that live in the West, I'm observant & a fast learner.

'Lopes don't need a magnum anything....They are smaller than most whitetails. More along the stature of Atlantic Coast swamp deer. 100 lbs and less.

The longest I've ever even seen a 'Lope was under 300 yds. The farthest shot under 100. Just the terrain and patience. I know that doesn't hold true for most. Still practice out as far as you can.

Have a plan for immediate meat care!!

They don't even try to hide...THEY RUN !!!!!!!! Don't even think of trying to chase after them. Your ATV won't keep up....

Last, and Most important....Their primary defense is Sight. Really let that sink in.

Good Luck.

manitou1

Areas 21 and 22 never saw a decline in hunt pressure from opening day until the season close this past season. Incredible numbers of people! Idiots camping right at water sources, campers and trucks parked at the highest points in the unit, so that antelope could see them for miles.
Pressure is different for different areas. It seems that areas East of the Bighorns are getting plowed by "Easterners" now. Maybe because of a shorter drives/faster access from the East? My wife is so disgusted with the "circus roundup" that she actually told me not to buy her any tags this year.