Muzzleloader recommendation for elk under $1500

matechakeric

I am interested in muzzleloader hunting for elk but don't know which gun to get. Any recommendations under $1500?

Additionally it seems like some states like CO outlaw the use of breach action muzzleloaders so preferably not a breach action recommendation

Tons of options, if that is your budget you can take your pick of any one you want.

Might have a tougher time finding one that isn't an inline muzzleloader if that's what you need.

I am interested in muzzleloader hunting for elk but don't know which gun to get. Any recommendations under $1500?

Additionally it seems like some states like CO outlaw the use of breach action muzzleloaders so preferably not a breach action recommendation
Figure out where you plan to hunt. Then check out the reg's for the state or states. If the modern inline doesn't fit your needs check out The Track of the Wolf website. They have a number of used traditional rifles from $499.00 to $5000.00. Plus all the extra items you will need to get shooting.

There are a ton of options well under your price range, but if you are inclined to pay a little more the Knight Ultralight is a fantastic option. I have had one for 5-6 years; it shoots lights out and is a dream to carry.

I have a scoped Savage smokeless frankengun that I use for deer in TN. Accurate enough to the 150yd or so that I will hunt with it, but cleans super easy (when I clean it).

I also own a scoped CVA Optima that I use with reduced BH209 loads for kids to hunt with. It also has open sights so that it can be used for a western hunt if I ever get drawn for a state that has those restrictions. It’s plenty accurate, as well

Love my CVA Accura V2 with the Bergara barrel. I think it was around $500. Very accurate out to 200-250 yards and can probably be pushed further.

In all sincerity, are you making your own bullets from scratch? If so that's amazing, didn't know people do that.
Yes sir, from the instructions that came with the mold, videos of experts and idiots, and a camp stove along with $7 in Goodwill cooking implements, I just did that.

I mined some lead last week from a BLM wildcat range thinking I would wash off dirt, melt it down, skim off casings. But then I watched some videos of people “exploding” melted lead and decided to start with pure clean lead.

Thompson Center Hawken, Lyman Great Plains Hawken, or Browning Mountain Rifle. All in .54 cal, of course.

And then there are the one-off rifles built by amateurs or semi-pros that really knew what they were doing back in the 60s, 70s, and 80s. These can be really nice rifles for $1500 and under. I have one with a Bill Large Barrel (a fabled barrel maker from the 60s and 70s.

Here are 3 pages to look at. That .58 cal half-stock is pretty interesting. The TC Hawken that @Ben Lamb recommended is there, along with others.

What kind of muzzleloader are you buying for $1500. It’s supposed to be a primitive weapon. My goodness how things have gone wrong.

Primitive has nothing to do with price.
This will do

You can use inline MLs in Colorado. As previously mentioned, the bargain priced MLs at Walmart are more than sufficient. Just get one with open sights. Powerbelt bullets are very popular in Colorado due to sabots being forbidden. I've used 348gr powerboats to take 7 or 8 elk. First ML was a tc black diamond and my current ML is a tc omega, both 50cal. Best of luck.

The knight rifles are hard to beat. I have a knight .50 for Co elk and a Knight Ultra-lite .45 caliber for everywhere else. They are great rifles.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back