PEAX Equipment

Howa - Super Lite - 308

Mallardsx2

Anyone own one of these and care to give me an honest review?

I am considering buying one to carry while elk hunting if I have a black bear tag in my pocket.

I watched a few videos that showed the brass hanging up in the action when guys were trying to eject it and that has me a bit concerned. The guy did appear to be quite the knucklehead though so I don't know if it was a fair review or not.

Just wondering what score 1-10 you would give the gun regarding function and accuracy.

If you prefer to PM that would be fine.

Thanks.

I didn't see that caliber listed on Howa's website. Only 6.5 and .308.
I have the super lite in 7-08. Only reason to own the gun is if you’re looking for something super lite as it’s aptly named. They are unbelievably light. Mine shoots good enough with Barnes 120 ttsx one of the few factory bullets I have tried. It’s my back pack gun for going deep and light. Can’t beat it for that. If your looking for more of an all around I might try to get something a pound heavier

I have the super lite in 7-08. Only reason to own the gun is if you’re looking for something super lite as it’s aptly named. They are unbelievably light. Mine shoots good enough with Barnes 120 ttsx one of the few factory bullets I have tried. It’s my back pack gun for going deep and light. Can’t beat it for that. If your looking for more of an all around I might try to get something a pound heavier

Thanks. I am simply looking for something to carry with me that is super light to shoot a bear with while my wife is elk hunting. I just want something short and light to keep on my back just in case we get a shot at a bear.

Thanks. I am looking for something to carry with me that is super light to shoot a bear with while my wife is elk hunting. I just want something short and light to keep on my back just in case we get a shot at a bear.
This gun would do that well imo

I would likely go with the 308 (because I have the dies) but I bet you that thing kicks hard in 208 with a 180 grain bullet....lol

I have two in a .308 and one in a 7mm-08. Shot the AK bear and my 2022 Wyoming elk with the .308. Uncle Larry shot his 2022 AZ elk with the .308. Shot my UT pronghorn last month with the 7mm-08.

I like them all. Added a cheek weld to find my natural position when shooting a rifle with a rail mounted scope.

Good luck.

Paging @Caseknife
Reviews seem to be good on the below and some other threads. I’d have considered one but found a used Alpine Light in 7mm-08 after a year plus of searching and bought that before they offered the Superlite in that chambering. Only thing that stinks is someone switched out the OEM Howa trigger for a Timney on my gun. But that’s not what you’re asking after…

…but first, some semi-related anecdotes you may or may not care about:

The Alpine was a bit heavier than the Superlite, but still tricky to wrangle accuracy out of initially. After switching up some shooting techniques it goes MOA or better quite well if I do all my chit right. Howas shoot. Check Kimber’s website for advice about shooting light guns. The free-recoil thing and sitting directly behind the gun were game changers for me.

I fitted mine with a Leupold VX3-HD in 3.5x10. Some guy at the range was asking about the outfit the other day. When I told him what it all was he replied “that sounds like a Newburg Special.”

Anyway, here’s the aforementioned thread links to threads about those guns:

Paging @Caseknife
Reviews seem to be good on the below and some other threads. I’d have considered one but found a used Alpine Light in 7mm-08 after a year plus of searching and bought that before they offered the Superlite in that chambering. Only thing that stinks is someone switched out the OEM Howa trigger for a Timney on my gun. But that’s not what you’re asking after…

The Alpine was a bit heavier than the Superlite, but still tricky to wrangle accuracy out of initially. After switching up some shooting techniques it goes MOA or better quite well if I do all my chit right. Howas shoot. Check Kimber’s website for advice about shooting light guns. The free-recoil thing and sitting directly behind the gun were game changers for me.

I fitted mine with a Leupold VX3-HD in 3.5x10. Some guy at the range was asking about the outfit the other day. When I told him what it all was he replied “that sounds like a Newburg Special.”

Still jealous of that Alpine Lite. I think a Superlight in .308 is going to go on the list.

I won a Howa Superlite at theSheep show in January. I added a brake that was recommended by Legacy Sports for a $100. It’s a tack driver. I may add a cheek weld like Randy did. BTW thanks again Randy for picking my ticket! I also shoot what Legacy recommended a Barnes copper 127 gr.

Last edited:
Paging @Caseknife

Oh yeah, I have one and really like it. Right at 5.5# field ready and for my type of hunting, close range timber, it is just the ticket.

I had one in 6.5CM (just sold it to a buddy last weekend). I didn’t put a lot of rounds through it, about 40, but had absolutely 0 issues with it during that time.

My only issue was just that I couldn’t get it to group as tightly as my savage 11 does. I’m pretty sure that’s mostly an issue with me, no the rifle, though.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WhiskyRichard
Back