Howa - Super Lite - 308

Purchased the walnut stock version in .308 Paid $529.00. The screws to hold the barrel to the stock did not torque out at even 20 inch pounds after I shot it and the stock cracked. I shot it off a led sled that may have contributed to it cracking also. That said, I rate it fairly decent overall. Compact and weighs 5lbs 9ozs. Good trigger. Cycled well. Bolt has zipper sound currently that is supposed to go away. Threaded barrel. The new stock is on its way and I was told to torque screws to 30-35 inch pounds. Accuracy? We will find out. I think it will do the 1moa once i find what it likes. The carbon fiber models sell for additional 400 bucks. Not worth it to me for one pound of weight. But of course they will not Crack. For less than $600 I like it better than any other firearm in that range. For $900 or more? No. I would have gone with a browning x bolt possibly. Also made in japan. I ordered bases, low rings and an additional mag directly from legacy international and will be putting a smaller scope on it. Keeping it as lite as possible.
Carbon fiber version not worth the money? I don’t know of another factory available firearm that comes in any where near its weight and price point of $900 if you go carbon fiber stock. You’re looking at custom guns in the $2k range I think. To me that’s the sweet spot in the market for this gun

Carbon fiber version not worth the money? I don’t know of another factory available firearm that comes in any where near its weight and price point of $900 if you go carbon fiber stock. You’re looking at custom guns in the $2k range I think. To me that’s the sweet spot in the market for this gun
I agree if the weight of one pound less than the walnut is what is driving a person to buy it. I'd just rather buy a higher quality looking gun for the extra 400 bucks. I know they won't weigh in like the superlite

Torqued action screws to recommended inch pounds. Shot it off my shoulder and the replacement stock cracked worse then the original. I give up. I will pay the difference for the carbon fiber stock if they will go for it. Never had a issue with any of my other walnut stock firearms.
Wasn't aware that they were making one with a walnut stock, but just looked at LSI's site, learn something every day. Odd that even firing from the shoulder the stock split, something is not quite right in the inletting.

Not to hi-jack the thread, but can someone measure the muzzle diameter for me around three barrel lengths. I am unsure of the barrel profile.
1. At the shoulder before the thread protector.
2. Around 18”
3. Around 16.5”

Considering one for a 358win but need a minimum of .610” diameter on the barrel somewhere between 16.5 and 20” Thanks!

Last edited:
Doesn't look like he's using a lead sled though - just a bench rest. I agree about weighted sleds, but this one looks like it would allow free recoil...
Yeah, the second stock was reportedly shot from the shoulder. I was referring to this quote: “I shot it off a led sled that may have contributed to it cracking also.”

It's simple physics that "action equals re-action", so a lighter rifle would be easier to carry, but a heavier rifle helps to absorb some of the recoil.

I see a lot of hunting shows with guys carrying full backpacks while they are hunting. I'm sure that they have 5-10 pounds of something in those backpacks that they really don't need to carry for a short stalk or even a day hunt.

And a question for the OP: Why do you think you need a different rifle for a black bear when you're hunting elk? Black bears aren't any harder to kill (and most are half the weight) of a bull elk. Any rifle that will kill a bull elk will easily kill a black bear.

Not to hi-jack the thread, but can someone measure the muzzle diameter for me around three barrel lengths. I am unsure of the barrel profile.
1. At the shoulder before the thread protector.
2. Around 18”
3. Around 16.5”

Considering one for a 358win but need a minimum of .610” diameter on the barrel somewhere between 16.5 and 20” Thanks!
Won't happen, maybe a 338 Federal. Muzzle at the start of the threads, .582", 18"-.592" and 16.5-.603". Pretty light barrel profile.

I hope it’s not too late to to add more to this thread. I always loved the idea of a ultra light rifle and followed the trend since the 80's with Melvin Forbes’ Ultra Light Arms and NULA. They were always out of my reach financially, but I enjoyed a lot of hunting with a Remington Model 600 and Model Sevens.

When I saw that Legacy Sports had released a Super Lite with 1 MOA guarantee for around $1000 street price I was ready to try one. I’ve shot the .260 Remington a bit for matches and hunting and thought I’d give the 6.5 Creedmoor version a try. It really is super light at 4.8 lbs on my scale.

My Howa Super Lite 6.5 Creed shoots a lot of different factory ammo at well under MOA and some under ½ MOA. It shoots well with a lightweight suppresser and a Leupold 3x12 scope on board and weighs in at 6.5 Lbs. (including Suppressor). I could shave some weight with a lighter scope if I wanted to, but no need.

This rifle loves the 129gr Core-Lokt factory load from Remington. In the 20 inch barrel it gets a remarkable 2933fps and very accurate - I average .75 MOA. I might also add that the 129 Remington tipped has the same ballistic coefficient as the 129 Hornady SST and in the Superformance and the same velocity - but in my rifle the Remington is very accurate and the Hornady is not accurate at all - in my rifle. I have taken one deer with this rifle and my granddaughter has taken one antelope with it. It is a joy to hunt with.

Since my granddaughter has pretty well settled on this rifle as hers and the prices began to drop I opted for a second one in .308 Winchester. This one didn’t shoot so well and eventually I sent it back to the factory, they did their testing and also could not make it shoot so they kept their end of the MOA bargain and replaced it with one that shoots.

My .308 version is 4.7 Lbs. on my scale and the one I have now has a green carbon stock and shoots many factory and handloads very accurately and also shoots very well with a suppresser. I have settled on the 130gr TTSX Vor-Tx factory ammo at 3125 fps and a 150gr TTSX handload that achieves 3005fps, and they shoot to the same point of impact at 100 yards. I have shot one antelope with this so far and it was DRT. It is a joy to carry in the field.

Due to the success I’ve had with my two Super Lites, a friend has purchased one with the new walnut stock. It’s a little more weight, but I will not use the word “heavier” as it is still ultra light, and the price is considerably lower due to the cost of walnut being lower than carbon fiber. We love our Howa Super Lites, and I’ll probably get another as more grand kids come of age to hunt and shoot.

Last edited:
mine in 308 (green web stock) is at my FFL dealer, I pick it up next Monday. I'll give impressions after I set it up & get to the range. Adding a Swarovski Z3 3-10 x 42 BRH in Talley low ring-bases and an Ultimate Gun Sling. Calculations for that set-up and 4 rounds of 150g have it fully loaded at 5lb 15.35 oz, but that includes the Talley ring weight, but does not subtract the weight of the rail I will be removing, which will result in a net reduction. If I put a Banish Backcountry suppressor on it, I'm still coming in well under 6.5lb loaded.

I’ll weigh hers fully loaded with bullets after I get it set up after Christmas but if my calculations are correct it should be under 6 pounds fully loaded for sure.

I hope it’s not too late to to add more to this thread. I always loved the idea of a ultra light rifle and followed the trend since the 80's with Melvin Forbes’ Ultra Light Arms and NULA. They were always out of my reach financially, but I enjoyed a lot of hunting with a Remington Model 600 and Model Sevens.

When I saw that Legacy Sports had released a Super Lite with 1 MOA guarantee for around $1000 street price I was ready to try one. I’ve shot the .260 Remington a bit for matches and hunting and thought I’d give the 6.5 Creedmoor version a try. It really is super light at 4.8 lbs on my scale.

My Howa Super Lite 6.5 Creed shoots a lot of different factory ammo at well under MOA and some under ½ MOA. It shoots well with a lightweight suppresser and a Leupold 3x12 scope on board and weighs in at 6.5 Lbs. I could shave some weight with a lighter scope if I wanted to, but no need.

This rifle loves the 129gr Core-Lokt factory load from Remington. In the 20 inch barrel it gets a remarkable 2933fps and very accurate - I average .75 MOA. I might also add that the 129 Remington tipped has the same ballistic coefficient as the 129 Hornady SST and in the Superformance and the same velocity - but in my rifle the Remington is very accurate and the Hornady is not accurate at all - in my rifle. I have taken one deer with this rifle and my granddaughter has taken one antelope with it. It is a joy to hunt with.

Since my granddaughter has pretty well settled on this rifle as hers and the prices began to drop I opted for a second one in .308 Winchester. This one didn’t shoot so well and eventually I sent it back to the factory, they did their testing and also could not make it shoot so they kept their end of the MOA bargain and replaced it with one that shoots.

My .308 version is 4.7 Lbs. on my scale and the one I have now has a green carbon stock and shoots many factory and handloads very accurately and also shoots very well with a suppresser. I have settled on the 130gr TSSX Vor-Tx factory ammo at 3125 fps and a 150gr TSSX handload that achieves 3005fps, and they shoot to the same point of impact at 100 yards. I have shot one antelope with this so far and it was DRT. It is a joy to carry in the field.

Due to the success I’ve had with my two Super Lites, a friend has purchased one with the new walnut stock. It’s a little more weight, but I will not use the word “heavier” as it is still ultra light, and the price is considerably lower due to the cost of walnut being lower than carbon fiber. We love our Howa Super Lites, and I’ll probably get another as more grand kids come of age to hunt and shoot.
Knowing that you are not giving advice, and that I need to carefully work up my own safe loads for my SL 308, I'd love to hear the load data for that 150g TTSX at 3005. That sounds like the perfect spot if I work up to it without signs of pressure. TIA

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmarshall173
Back