Montana Rifle Company

There's a picture of the arca rail on Rokslide. Looks weird on a walnut stock to me, but ymmv.

Damn, hadn't seen that before but for me it just wrecked a really nice wood stock. I guess I'm old school, don't ever see myself packing a Tripod around in the mountains while hunting

Do you know what caused their original demise? Thought they were interesting - and then closed shop before i saw much more.
I knew original owner well. Company that bought it ran it in the ground is what happened. New Buyers were not good people. i have no idea who brought it back to life this time

Kinda like Melvin Forbes with Colt, eh?

$2,500...

I bought my Weatherby Mark V which is only 3oz more for about half that price!

What does a Tikka weigh vs their price?

Me, I'd rather save up the extra $1,000 and get another NULA at 5.5lbs.

I knew original owner well. Company that bought it ran it in the ground is what happened. New Buyers were not good people. i have no idea who brought it back to life this time
New owners are g5 outdoors makes broadheads, archery stuff and prime bows. Based in Michigan. So does MRC now stand for Michigan Rifle Company?

Kinda like Melvin Forbes with Colt, eh?

$2,500...

I bought my Weatherby Mark V which is only 3oz more for about half that price!

What does a Tikka weigh vs their price?

Me, I'd rather save up the extra $1,000 and get another NULA at 5.5lbs.
What year did you buy a mark v for 1250 dollars?

With a tripod, you don’t have to lay your rifle down in the snow when you take an afternoon nap. 😀

View attachment 321721
Arca rail a balanced gun and a good tripod is game changing. I think we shot nearly every animal last season off a tripod. Being able to shoot from any spot in any terrain. Honestly I almost don’t feel right about it.

I got my Mark V Weathermark LT in 7mm Weatherby in fall of 2022 if I recall correctly.
Picked it up for $1,400 and change. Call it $1,500.

The used Mark V Deluxe made in Germany in "Weatherby 300 Magnum" was more expensive.

Heck, I picked up the NULA 24B in 280 Rem, used for $995.
Was a heck of a deal considering new starts at $3,600+.
Alas, i sold it for much more than I paid for it. Wish I still had it!!

New owners are g5 outdoors makes broadheads, archery stuff and prime bows. Based in Michigan. So does MRC now stand for Michigan Rifle Company?
I thought that was weird seeing they are now made in Michigan. Archery guys making rifles, I do have a prime bow that I like

I thought that was weird seeing they are now made in Michigan. Archery guys making rifles, I do have a prime bow that I like
My understanding is G5 is just the outdoor side of a pretty successful machine shop company. I think they were doing a lot of manufacturing for other outdoor companies and decided making stuff for their own brands was a good fit

I used to have a small machine shop in the town I live in that was doing a ton of contract work for outdoor brands

The MRC engineer for this lineup posted in the rokslide thread and didn't dispute any of the negative observations from that review. Seems to be aligned with the quality issues they had prior to being sold. I'd not spend good money on one until its clear significant changes have been made.

I own entirely soulless rifles so the idea of a nice wood stocked rifle is appealing but for the price MRC is asking a guy can have a Sako 90 hunter which is more desirable to me. I do like integrated pic rail, made in usa, and possibly the integrated mlok (on the fence there) on the MRC though.
1712583041541.png

Last edited:
Best of luck to the new guys. I shoot a MCR X2 from the old company.
Not a good review on Rokslide. They needed one as starting out with a company that already has a bad QC reputation is tricky.

The new ones are a much different rifle than
Mine. I like the changes but I’m not interested in their current offerings or at the $2500 price tag.

In hope they can pull it off. Pic of my old X2 in 7mm08 which end up being a great shooter. I enjoy using it on Alabama Whitetails. I had the factory cut the barrel from 24 to 22. Handy rifle out of my climber stands. A little heavy for mountain hunting. IMG_1319.jpeg

1712845852178.png Here's a picture of the rail lock. Looks like it fits flush with the wood. Not sure if I would prefer it or not, but doesn't look like it would be noticeable when you are carrying it.

Back