MT residents thoughts on Steve Bullock

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ben Nicholson

I just saw he’s tossing his hat in the ring for president. Living in Iowa, we have a disproportional say in who gets the nomination. It’s seems to me in order to get elected in MT you have to be pro hunting and fishing, but I don’t know anything about this guy. So my question to you Montana residents, is Bullock a pro hunting and fishing candidate?

Thanks,
Ben

I just saw he’s tossing his hat in the ring for president. Living in Iowa, we have a disproportional say in who gets the nomination. It’s seems to me in order to get elected in MT you have to be pro hunting and fishing, but I don’t know anything about this guy. So my question to you Montana residents, is Bullock a pro hunting and fishing candidate?

Thanks,
Ben
Yes, he and his family are outdoor recreationists who obviously and consistently support hunting and fishing. Gov Bullock formed the Montana Outdoor Recreation Office to support public lands and bolster outdoor recreation. He has been supportive of legislation and programs in the best interests of wildlife, especially big game and fisheries. The one program he supports contrary to my opinion is the controversial "elk shoulder seasons"; however many Montana hunters agree with his position.

For a lot of reasons I think he would be the best President of all those currently in the running ... however I would hate to see him and his family having to move to the "swamp".

Bullock has a sense of humor also and is approachable. After the Helena Governor's Cup 5k race a couple years ago, I approached him and asked, "Since I completed the race upright as an old guy, shouldn't I win the Governor's Cup?" Bullock, who had run the race himself, laughed and replied, "Sorry, I'm not wearing one today!":D

Bullock is solid on hunting, fishing and conservation issues. I hope he gets plenty of attention early in. It would be refreshing to see the conversation shifted back to the center instead of the Leftist edge as it seems many of the current prospective hopefuls are doing.

I think he adds a great option to the race among Democrats. That said, a guy coming from Montana, who has a life experience that tells him there is world that exists beyond the Beltway and the coastal metropolis messes, probably stands very little chance of being nominated.

He is not going to be a Bernie who carries the water of AOC. He's not going to be a Corey Booker who thinks the world's problems are solved by taking firearms from legal gun owners. He does not carry the aggrieved victimization attitude of Warren. And the differences among others could go on and on.

I've known him for ten years. He is probably the least partisan politician I've interacted with. He's been on my podcast. He knows the hunting, fishing, public land, conservation gig, because he lives that lifestyle.

As I write this, it becomes obvious he is different. And that is probably why he has little chance in the two-party machine that panders to the far fringes of their candidate pool.

As Attorney General, he also wrote an opinion that protected stream access while respecting private property rights.

Personally, I hope he's still viable when Kentucky's primary comes around as I think he is exactly the type of moderate unifier this country needs. Instead, we will probably get an extremist that will be easily demonized as radical.

Thanks for confirming my suspicions. It’s nice to have a good (there’s no such thing as perfect) option to support and throw my tiny sphere of influence behind. As for his odds... I wouldn’t count him out. A lot of “unknowns” end up doing alright in Iowa.

I've worked with the Governor for his entire term, and his term as AG before that. He's got my vote.

Bullock's defense of stream access, roadless areas, taking on the pro-transfer crowd and his ability to increase good management of public lands through the good neighbor authority are everything that we could ask for in a public servant. His work on sage grouse is being lauded as pretty visionary in terms of allowing for true multiple use of public lands while still conserving birds where they need it the most.

He's fiscally conservative, having offered up and passed four balanced budgets, always maintained a rainy day account for emergencies, expanded medicaid under a GOP legislature and didn't give in when the no-nothing contingent of the GOP refused to invest in infrastructure, getting over $400 million in new infrastructure projects moving this last session.

He's everything people claim they want in a candidate. Except for the dad jeans.

From the outside looking in I really have liked what I've seen. I am relieved to see someone like him enter the race and will be looking more into him and will try to make sure my fellow Iowans give him a look. I just hope he the man described here doesn't change now that he's stepped onto the national stage.

All the qualities I like about Steve Bullock (which led me to vote for him twice) are the ones that disqualify him from being a serious candidate for the nomination in the Democratic Party of today.
The big money Democrat donors have settled on Biden. Bullock is running in the same lane as Biden. Biden appears to have some serious stamina problems. I don't think he's up for this, and doubt he will last. If that happens, Bullock might be their next best choice.

I have watched him & like what I see overall. No red flags.
I cannot say that of most of the other dozen or so. Some are wrapped in a red flag.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back