MT residents thoughts on Steve Bullock

Status
Not open for further replies.
Although being the president is a powerful position, I wonder how much a formerly well liked, billionaire had to gain personally by becoming president.

The fact that we have a DNC and an RNC that clearly favor candidates, choose who gets the spotlight via some sort of arbitrary criteria, and then throw ten of those people on stage two nights in a row, who with the confidence of a religious nut use tweetable sentences to distill subjects that would take a lifetime to fully understand, is so effed. It's a weird illusory assessment.

I like Bullock, but even if he were up there for round one I see no way he would have rose to the top. In fact, I think the more someone "wins" a debate, the less I like them. It's not about logic or facts, it's about the signaling.

All that said, of all the Dems I saw the last two days, I liked Gabbard most.

@Nameless Range have you listened to her on the Rogan podcast?
She’s definitely more sensible than most the rest

I have yes. It's in those long form conversations that last hours as opposed to ten people fighting for maximum-gotcha that you see who is full of chit or not, and though I don't agree with her on everything, I think she is legit and genuine.

Bullock won the nationally televised debate last night on the Colbert Show.

Watching the debates, my main thought throughout was one the Bern spoke to: We have essentially the same flea circus of a presidential debate process that we have had for @ least the last 40 years. It favors the best reality star or sound bite artist. It reduces complex considerations to 3 seconds of blather by a talking head. Evidently voters make their crucial decision based on this process, and here we are. Here we shall remain if voters don't demand more substance from candidates. Disgusting process yielding abysmal results. I am not optimistic about how this all goes forward.

I thought Bennet sounded well-considered, given the obvious constraints. And I know where he's @ on public lands/environment, discussion of which is glaring in its absence so far in this campaign.

Last edited:
I will say that I don't think an alternative system for choosing candidates is obvious. I don't think Americans have the attention span to find out what candidates really think vs what they are just saying.
I am curious if placing preference points per candidate would enable multiple parties...

Say Dems, Repubs, Indep, Liber...
first vote ranks 4 points, fourth vote ranks 1 point...
If a preference scale was in place, I believe multiple parties would begin to form a base worth contention come future elections. See? World problem's solved in 37 words... :)

I am curious if placing preference points per candidate would enable multiple parties...

Say Dems, Repubs, Indep, Liber...
first vote ranks 4 points, fourth vote ranks 1 point...
If a preference scale was in place, I believe multiple parties would begin to form a base worth contention come future elections. See? World problem's solved in 37 words... :)

It sounds like you are describing instant runoff voting, which is a superior voting system to our own IMO.

Instant-runoff voting (IRV) is a type of ranked preferential voting method used in single-seat elections with more than two candidates. Instead of indicating support for only one candidate, voters in IRV elections can rank the candidates in order of preference. Ballots are initially counted for each voter's top choice. If a candidate has more than half of the vote based on first-choices, that candidate wins. If not, then the candidate with the fewest votes is eliminated. The voters who selected the defeated candidate as a first choice then have their votes added to the totals of their next choice. This process continues until a candidate has more than half of the votes. When the field is reduced to two, it has become an "instant runoff" that allows a comparison of the top two candidates head-to-head. Compared to plurality voting, IRV can reduce the impact of vote-splitting when multiple candidates earn support from like-minded voters.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Instant-runoff_voting

Lots of interesting voting theories out there. https://www.lesswrong.com/posts/D6trAzh6DApKPhbv4/a-voting-theory-primer-for-rationalists

Lots of drivel being spewed. Someone asked a legit question that was never answered. How many people that want to come to the United States should we let in? Our country has never let everyone that wants to immigrate here to do it. Every one of us do have ancestors that were "selected" and we should always be thanking God that they were selected so that we can live in the greatest country the world has ever known.

Maybe one of you really smart guys can help me out. How old are the glaciers in gnp? When did they start melting?

What made it so hot in the 30's when most of the high temp records were set? Man made global warming? Then when it got so cold in the 70's, that must have been Carter and the gas lines caused by the shortage of fuel that brought the temps down? And to think during Carter's administration they were worried about the impending ice age. Little did they know they were saving its from global warming by creating a gas shortage.

We are all for Bullock vetoing a bill that would ban sanctuary cities because it would save money. Besides there are laws that ban hiring illegal aliens we just need to spend more money enforcing that. Did I get that right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dalton14rocks
Back