Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

MT Ram

I drove through the area on my way home from the goat hunt today. I was amazed to see how little snow is in that area. Surely not helpful to sheep hunting. Even with that, I am quite confident that the best ram living in the unit will likely be the ram "formerly known as the best ram living in the unit" by the end of daylight on the 28th.

Good luck @Greenhorn

“Now it is pleasant to hunt something that you want very much over a long period of time, being outwitted, out-maneuvered and failing at the end of each day, but having the hunt and knowing every time you are out that, sooner or later, your luck will change and that you will get the chance that you are seeking." - Ernest Hemingway

Ram I was looking for was killed today by a lifelong hunter, 82 year old Jim Boorman. Have met him hunting elk in Spanish peaks previously. Good man and hard earned sheep on many respects. Was with his son and grandson this day. I hadn’t seen the ram since September 6th, about 9 direct miles away. He was about 4 miles hiking in, very impressive given his age. I personally haven’t seen an animal I’d consider a better trophy. Spanish Peaks rams like this are very rare, hides are exceptional..

668DFF3B-3359-4E21-BCED-B8BE72EF85B1.jpeg

Those dark sheep are very striking. Beautiful trophy indeed.

Even though the protagonist is still on the clock, it’s been very cool to hear just a little about these others. Some pretty neat stories and rams.

Still waiting on one more though…not giving up on this one yet.

The ram still awaits you in the Spanish Peaks. I have no doubt that you will connect soon enough on a great one.

That's an extremely bitter sweet scenario. Good luck partner!

Looking forward to the rest of the story to come!

Ram I was looking for was killed today by a lifelong hunter, 82 year old Jim Boorman. Have met him hunting elk in Spanish peaks previously. Good man and hard earned sheep on many respects. Was with his son and grandson this day. I hadn’t seen the ram since September 6th, about 9 direct miles away. He was about 4 miles hiking in, very impressive given his age. I personally haven’t seen an animal I’d consider a better trophy. Spanish Peaks rams like this are very rare, hides are exceptional..

View attachment 202862
The hunter certainly has my respect and congratulations but I was sure hoping that your story about this ram would end like Big Fin’s story about the grubby goat.

I am still looking forward to hearing about the rest of your hunt.

View attachment 202862
Very beautiful ram and bitter sweet. Back to the easy to access ram? He is still a great ram too.

May not help ease that pain much, but now that the main target is gone there is a "new" best of the bunch walking around. Go get him!

I'm sure there's still one that will get your heart racing. Don't lose hope and don't quit now. You won't ever get this time back! Keep pushing

View attachment 202862
How I wish all hunters espoused this joy for another hunter’s success. Thanks for the perspective, @Greenhorn

Man I hope I'm still out there at 82 years old. That's a beautiful sheep. Keep after it, there's still good sheep to be had out there!
Hell, I am 1 step away from 60 and hoping to be able to still climb at 62 to 70. New aches and pains every day.
That’s a great ram. Bet he is happy to share the experience with his son and grandson.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrGeauxNewMexico
Back