More damage by ranchers!!

Deal for ranchers - and land
Let's go beyond the ideas mentioned in The Tribune's series 'Change on the Range.' Let's pay to stop grazing.

By Billy Stern
December 9, 2004

We all seem to agree: The old ways are not working. Something has to change on the range. We need new ideas and new opportunities to reduce unchecked urban sprawl, provide employment opportunities and protect the beautiful landscapes that make New Mexico the Land of Enchantment.

So here is a radical idea: Save taxpayers money by paying ranchers to remove their livestock from public land.

Nationwide, ranchers pay about $14 million to lease more than 250 million acres of national forest and Bureau of Land Management land, but it costs the agencies more than $100 million annually to manage the program. That doesn't include millions more spent on stream restoration, water developments, soil conservation and protecting wildlife threatened by grazing.

It would actually cost less to pay ranchers a fair sum up front than to annually subsidize the federal grazing program. The Voluntary Grazing Permit Buyout Bills - HR 3324 and HR 3337 - would do just that. They each have more than 20 co-sponsors and are supported by hundreds of ranchers and more than 200 local, regional and national conservation groups.

We applaud the Quivira Coalition for recognizing many of the problems that confront the Western range and for bringing some new ideas to the table. Forest Guardians also supports conservation easements and related tax breaks and bringing tourism and recreation to the ranching communities.

However, these measures alone are not enough. Quivira ignores the widespread degradation of our rivers and streams and persecution of wolves, coyotes and prairie dogs that that come with livestock grazing. They also seem to overlook how their "solution" to sprawl - better management of grazing - includes dividing the landscape with thousands of miles of fencing and pipelines for new pastures and water troughs.

Admittedly, ranchers working with Quivira are likely doing less damage to rivers and streams. But what are the total costs?

At a recent conference, I asked a Quivira member what he thought about the hundreds of BLM grazing allotments covering millions of acres that go unmonitored. He shrugged it off, holding to his belief that removing livestock would not restore these lands - even while admitting that in many places grazing caused wildlife habitat to become barren and denuded. Improving management on thousands of acres does not make up for ignoring problems on millions of acres.

Although well-intentioned, the Quivira Coalition and the "radical center" do the public a disservice by narrowing the solution to two false choices: cows or condos.

Attempting to bolster ranching in areas with less than 10 inches of rain annually is a stopgap measure at best. Small improvements in ranch management will never be enough to change the financial realities facing the modern rancher.

The truth is that ranching in the arid West has never made sense economically or ecologically. Now, with gasoline prices rising - the pickup being the new horse of choice - the threat of mad cow disease, factory farms filled with chickens and hogs, cheap imported beef and the "return" of drought - actually, drought is the climatic norm - to the deserts of Arizona and New Mexico, it is no surprise ranches are failing.

There are reasonable options available for those who are not afraid to let go of the cowboy mythos. If passed, the voluntary buyout would give public land ranchers who are ready and willing to permanently retire their federal grazing allotments approximately $2,000 for each cow they graze annually.

This money would work well in combination with conservation easements and tax breaks to protect both public and private lands. With money from the voluntary buyouts, ranchers who truly want to preserve their lands from sprawl could keep their ranches, pay off their debts and diversify their operations or simply retire. Meanwhile, removing cattle would allow these areas to recover.

Unfortunately, both the national and New Mexico Cattlegrowers' Associations oppose the voluntary buyout bills, even though for many of their members the buyout cash could mean the difference between selling the ranch and keeping it going on private land with reduced numbers. The voluntary buyout bills provide a reasonable, fair, market-based, win-win solution.

The question comes down to one of vision and values. Do you want your national forests and BLM lands filled with cow pies, barbed-wire fences and water troughs and your streams trodden by cattle and polluted with sediment and E-coli?

Or do you still believe we can have a land where the deer and antelope can truly roam free, where the mountain streams run clear and cold, filled with beaver, fish and frogs, and where the sky is full of songbirds dancing with butterflies amid willows and cottonwoods?

Good article!

"Nationwide, ranchers pay about $14 million to lease more than 250 million acres of national forest and Bureau of Land Management land, but it costs the agencies more than $100 million annually to manage the program. That doesn't include millions more spent on stream restoration, water developments, soil conservation and protecting wildlife threatened by grazing......"

As a conservative Republican, I'm appalled by this wastefull gummint program of subsidizing welfare ranchers.

Nemont,

There is no doubt in my mind that farming and ranching have altered the environment of the West more than anything else.

It would be impossible to argue that it hasnt.

Please carefully read what I just said, though...

"There is no doubt in my mind that farming and ranching have altered the environment of the West more than anything else.

It would be impossible to argue that it hasnt"

O K Buzz, I'll argue with you. I say that mother nature has altered the enviroment of the west more than anything else. Volcanoes, glaciers, floods, wind, heat, earth quakes, ect...

Then man would come in second.

Buzz,
I agree with you that human activity has has a major impact upon the landscape of the west. Farming and ranching are just one of the activities. I guess I would just point out that a lot of winter grounds, prime riparian habitat, terrific desert landscapes and alpine meadows not longer have cattle grazing upon them. These areas have paved roads and 5,000 sq. ft. homes on them.

I have yet to see what you propose for public lands once you get ranchers off. I sort of see it as a slipperly slope. If the will of the people is to end grazing on public land what would you think if the will of the people is to end hunting on public lands? That could happen also, especially if you consider the ever increasing urban population, for the most part, does not hunt. There is always an undercurrent to end hunting on places like the CMR and other Nation Wildlife Refuges. I am just curious what you would do with all the public land that would then be off limits to cattlemen? Now note I am not saying they shouldn't pay more per AUM or that they shouldn't be required to keep the lands in good condition.

1-Pointer,
I didn't see where the criteria was total acres. Has grazing had an impact of course it has.

Nemont

Nemont- The point I tried to make (albeit not well done) was that depending on the critera it could change the answer. I was hoping you'd bite on the overgrazing part, but...that's why I suck at fishing.

Regarding the ending of hunting vs. ranching I think it gets a bit dicey. Mostly from the fact that the states are in charge of managing the wildlife populations. Not so with grazing. I for one don't see grazing ending in my lifetime, but I do see it changing it's focus. The amount of food/fiber produced will come second to the use of livestock to alter the environment for it's increasing health. Thoughts?

1-Pointer,

I use the end of hunting on public land as a red herring to get a response. I do not think grazing will end 100% either nor do I believe hunting on public land will end. I am just curious what would the guys who hate ranchers,ie. Ithaca, would do with the land. There aren't enough people to manage it properly now. Also I am willing to bet that the BLM and USFS budgets and the size of their respective Bureaucracy would not decrease but increase.( No insult to you or mtmiller with the bureaucracy remark)

Also to say states have sole say on hunting is incorrect. Here the USFWS doesn't allow buck mule deer to be hunted on the portion of the CMR that is north of the lake during the last two weeks of the Montan General Big Game season. They could just as easily say no more hunting at all. I don't think they will but they could. .

Nemont

Nemont,

All I was trying to say is that the one human caused activity that has altered the WEST the most, is ranching and farming. I realize they certainly are not the ONLY things that have altered the shape of the Western Landscape.

Also, please keep in mind that I am not out to end all public lands grazing. What I'd like to see is equal consideration given to wildlife, water, and the over-all health of the public lands. I'm not against public lands being grazed, but how can anyone with more than 2 firing brain cells even begin to think its being done correctly when 60% of the BLM lands are over-grazed and in poor condition, another 20% are functioning properly but at risk, and the rest is in good condition?

That lone statistic tells me that we have a long, long, long way to go to say we're managing public grazing lands correctly.

There are other considerations in public lands management today than how many AMU's are produced, and they're being taken seriously and at the expense of the welfare rancher...and frankly, its long over-due.

There are other considerations in public lands management today than how many AMU's are produced, and they're being taken seriously and at the expense of the welfare rancher...and frankly, its long over-due.

You would probably be surprised that I agree with that statement. I also think hunters should have more input on the management of public lands. What gets me worked up is the people who lump everyone together and want a one size fits all solution to the problem of overgrazing. What should happen in southern New Mexico maybe be total different from what happens in North East Montana. But the rancher haters like Ithaca only want what is good for them and give two shits about anyone else.

I feel strongly about treating the land right and giving wildlife priority in a lot of areas. I also believe strongly that the public should have access to these lands regardless of their status or if then are land locked. I just will defend ranchers in most cases because I understand them and know alot of them treat their land and adjacent public land with respect.

Nemont

Nemont,

Blanket policies rarely work, and certainly not in the case of grazing on public lands, nor in the case of the CRP.

For what its worth, the amount of BLM lands in MT that are in poor condition and over-grazed is right at the BLM average of 60%...

Glad to hear that may not be the case near Glasgow.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alaska2Montana
Back