MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Montana Wild Episode 1 - Spot and Stalk Bowhunting

MontanaWild

Hey guys I figured with the spring season underway and everyone getting word on whether they drew a tag, it would be a good time to release our hunting episodes from last season. Check it out as we go on 3 separate stalks over the course of the episode, and I arrow two deer in one day. Let me know what you think and if you like our work give us a [LIKE] on Facebook and subscribe to the website.

http://www.montana-wild.com/montana-wild-season-1-hunting-episode-1/

Watching leaving feed back at the same time. Beginning has great shots. However a little long, music is ok, not bad but just ok. Really enjoy the scenic shots leading up to the hunt at the Honey Hole. I think the commentary should not be done while walking but that is just me. Like the spotlights on the buck and doe with the labels, nice for ease of visual. Like the shots of the stalk with you and the deer in the frame. Commentary of you sitting down is much better on the conclusion of hunt one going in to hunt two. I realize that it is likely that those commentary parts are likely done at a later time. Not sure on some of that commentary after the harvest of the mule deer doe. Looks like you have about every different brand name hunting camo on as well, from Russell, to Sitka and Under Armour. I like the first person pov on the mule deer buck stalk. Two camera angles are nice as well. Bad luck with the property owners on that buck. Definitely think the editing was done fairly well. Have nothing else at this point. Did like it, has room for improvement as all do. I will watch future episodes as I would like to see where it goes and always am interested in new shows.

However I am a little confused as to why you are posting a new show on another shows website.

Last I checked this is a hunting forum where people gather to enjoy all the aspects of hunting. Were simply sharing our experiences with people in hopes that they can take some level of enjoyment from it and/or learn something from our mistakes. Whether we called it a video or episode is sort of inconsequential. At this point it's my brother and I doing this 100% out of our pockets for fun, so I'm sure Randy would be excited to see two young guys hunting public land in a similar fashion as he does on his show.

The shots are nice and crisp and I like your title sequence (Fineas and Pherb taught me that word).

Are you using a GoPro and the Nikon cam for filming?

Not that I care but others may be bothered by the fact that you left a dead deer behind to go after another. I have never read thru Montana laws so I am assume you were within your rights doing that. In WV, you have to tag and field dress your deer and check it into the game station before you can hunt deer with an additional tag. I'm sure it's different in MT but it would be nice if you could have covered that in your dialog sessions.

Overall I enjoyed this video as well as your fly fishing videos.

I think your editing and footage are awesome for an amateur video, and if you had(or have) a DVD out I'd probably even pay to watch but feel free to keep them coming at no charge! I especially like your music, and for a young new video I like that you don't add all the excess graphics. You do really well at using the footage and editing it to be more interesting rather than adding junk. It definitely helps the appeal that you don't have to pitch sponsors. I may be partially biased cuz your in Montana, hunting the same way I do but I think if this was on TV I'd watch it before 98% of whats currently on. Keep up the good work, I doubt you'll be doing it on your own time and money for too long.

Nice work. Get ready to have your video picked apart from everything like your camo doesn't match to leaving the doe to chase a buck, music, etc. I could care less if your camo matches!! Laffin.

I don't care if the camo matches either; it was just something I noticed, so I asked a question. I also agree about the forum, thanks for answering the question. I will be watching for future videos as I did like the video I watched.

The only thing that disappointed me was the neighbouring land owner who refused you permission to enter his property and look for the injured deer, why on earth would he do that?
Cheers
Richard

The adjoining land owner guides hunts on his land apparently as I talked to a game warden about it. His only advice was to talk to the owner, and the owner wouldn't afford me the opportunity to go and take a look. I was able to learn a great deal from that one stalk though and I'd rather have that happen early on in my career as a bowhunter.

Nice video. I think you put it together nicely. It seemed vivid to me compared to a lot of other DIY videos posted. Keep up the good work! I hope to see the rest of your videos soon.

I like the video. Great cinematography, and editing. Looking forward to watching more of them. Keep them coming.

^Thanks guys. We'll have another video next weekend where Travis takes a velvet mule deer on opening day of rifle season.

I have to say that I did enjoy it and thought it was very good. Coming from an eastern states hunter who has only been west of the Mississippi on business, I really loved the crisp clear scenery in the background! Beautiful camera work!
Didn`t completely agree with leaving the deer behind to chase another one though. There are no laws against doing that in NC where I mostly hunt, but I would never intentionally leave an animal behind due to the risk of something else making a meal out of it, mainly coyotes.
But for general feedback, you did a great job, I really enjoyed it and will be looking for more episodes in the future!

I agree with the with the comments above. Great video and editing. I liked the music. Not a big fan of leaving the doe behind to go after something that could be perceived as 'better'....especially when you left to go get lunch....what would have happened if the buck stayed on public and you had to track him till dark 4 miles away? I'm a big fan of completing what you started by releasing the arrow on the first animal. It gives the perception of being a 'killer' instead of a sportsman. Other than that....awesome shots of the area and I look forward to other episodes.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmarshall173
Back