Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Montana Turkey Hunting

If have not previously hunted "big" country then consider getting a bigger, louder box call than might use in Eastern woods. Getting sound to carry 100s of yards in a valley or canyon while 25 mph winds is a different challenge. A box call is about your only option. Turkey density can be less as well so getting a tom to travel to you might be tough so being mobile is good. Since might need to go towards the turkey, a pop-up blind is not as interesting as a bit of a camo fence which you can deploy in a minute or two to cover up some of your movement as lift the shotgun or set down a call. Good luck.
I hunt big open field of NW Oklahoma and Texas. I keep a xl box call with me and use a diaphragm once they get in close. Thanks for the input. I won’t be using pop up. I don’t ever do that anyways.

Hey Everyone!

I'm heading up to Montana this spring. 1st Trip ever to the state in general. My buddy and I are going to hunt birds in eh SE part of the state. We have both hunter turkeys for over 20 years and have been to multiple states. First mountain hunt. We plan to hunt like we elk/deer hunt. Camp on our backs and move until we find birds. I've read everything I can possibly find on the Montana website and we are living in ONX. Few questions for people that have hunted this region. We will be there the 1st week of May.

1. We are planning on the Custer National Forest. Is there a crap ton of people here? Should we focus on smaller tracts of BLM? not asking for waypoints

2. Grizzlies? or just black bears here? Good either way, just curious

3. Weather? Does it snow in may up there??? LOL, I'm from Texas...

Any advice/input is welcome. Excited about the trip, and want to be prepared
It will be a lot harder than you think to find birds.. definitely not mountains, and backpack camping wise, any direction you hike, you’ll be within a mile or 2 max of a road, so better to just be in a good area at first light listening for gobbles. The smaller tracts of BLM would not be worth focusing on IMO.

Lots of turkeys, very few black bears, more and more Turkey hunters every year, 20 degrees or 80 degrees depending on the day

Thanks to Montana turkey hunting being plastered all over YouTube the past few springs, turkey hunter numbers are SKYROCKETING. Non-resident license sales have doubled in about two years and most head to the southeast region. Be prepared to see plates from all over. But there are birds around, good luck!

May- little to any chance of snow,
bears/lions very unlikely you will see one.
Hunters- prob the most popular turkey destination in the state.
I sure wouldnt bother backpacking, as has been stated this area is very accessible. Plenty of places to hike in a couple miles from a rd though
If it starts raining, get off the two tracks. Ive been stuck in 4 low on flat ground...the clay is like cement once it attaches to your wheelwell.
Hose your hunting cloths down with sawyers permethrin tick repellant!

Last edited:
Hey Everyone!

I'm heading up to Montana this spring. 1st Trip ever to the state in general. My buddy and I are going to hunt birds in eh SE part of the state. We have both hunter turkeys for over 20 years and have been to multiple states. First mountain hunt. We plan to hunt like we elk/deer hunt. Camp on our backs and move until we find birds. I've read everything I can possibly find on the Montana website and we are living in ONX. Few questions for people that have hunted this region. We will be there the 1st week of May.

1. We are planning on the Custer National Forest. Is there a crap ton of people here? Should we focus on smaller tracts of BLM? not asking for waypoints

2. Grizzlies? or just black bears here? Good either way, just curious

3. Weather? Does it snow in may up there??? LOL, I'm from Texas...

Any advice/input is welcome. Excited about the trip, and want to be prepared
I would go to the Blackhills and hunt both s.d. and wyo. Just my 2 cents.

Back