MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Montana Archery Elk - Matt comes west

Big Fin

Administrator
Staff member
Packing my gear, or what now looks like a pile of junk after four episodes, to get ready for our Montana archery elk hunt. Tomorrow, Matt Ferland (a friend from NY who goes by D.A.D on Hunt Talk) will be landing in Bozeman. We will load his gear and head to the Breaks.

Matt may have wasted all of his luck in drawing his tags. He drew the non-resident combo tag with no points, then drew the Breaks limited entry archery tag as a non-resident with no points.

That seemed to be where his good luck ended. He broke his foot in June and got out of his walking cast about ten days ago. Not sure how well his foot will handle the up and down country of the Breaks.

Rumor has it that some other Hunt Talkers will be up there next week. If so, I think I told most of you where we will be camped, so don't be afraid to stop by.

If it was anything like when I was there a few years ago, cell coverage at our camp will be null and void - nadda - zilcho. So, any updates will come via me calling home to Mrs. Fin on the sat phone.

So much has changed this year. The lake is up by 25', so the islands of willows are flooded, wiping out that tactic. Lots of rain in the prior two weeks, so that might make the roads a rutted mess and will give them even more watering options than the plentiful numbers they already have.

But the good news is that we are elk hunting. Matt has the bull tag and I have an archery cow tag. Hopefully one of us will find an animal willing to present himself/herself for the TV fame that is sure to follow.

I don't have expectations equal to the last bull I was part of taking in the Breaks. A few years back, Cornell2012 drew the rifle tag. He shot this bull and was aided by me and Log Dawg with the guttin' and gillin'. The pack was not too bad, but I hope for something a little better this time.
Matthew 2005 MT elk.JPG

Good luck up there Fin and crew!
If I don't bump into you out there, I'll look forward to reading how it goes when I get back.

Good luck! Mathew kind of looks like Bushy in that picture.

I have been trying to talk BF into adopting me for sometime now. This will help my case! Paternity test? Dad is that you??:D

Good luck in the Breaks. It feels like a wasted effort wishing you good luck with the season you have been having though. Be safe!

Good luck to you guys, some of my buddies from home in Glasgow have gotten a couple. I've heard its getting hot over there stick a big one.

I have been seeing alot of bulls in the back of guys pickups here in Glasgow. My neighbor arrowed a nice one on Saturday.

Nemont

Randy,

Believe it or not, even with a couple feet of water in those willows, there are still a ton of elk in them this year. hell, they probalby feel better standing in 2-3' of water anyway when its 90 degrees.

Good luck, as if you need it:)

DOn't use up all your good luck before we head to New Mexico, I could use to be around some good luck this year as much bad luck as i've had so far:)

Nice bulll,,,I hope you find one just as nice this time!

Anyone have any updates from Randy? Is he still breathing? Inquiring minds want to know!

I agree, this waiting around for updates plain old sucks. We need play-by-play again.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmarshall173
Back