MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Midsize Truck Thread

Living in the Toyota capital of the world I feel like everyone and their brother owns a Tacoma. And I've met exactly zero that don't love them. My parents take their gen 3 in the woods 4 days a week and the only complain is that it's too wide.

The only reason I went with a Tundra over a tacoma was the 0% financing. Even if for some reason 5 years down the road you don't like it, you can sell it for damn near what you paid.

If I spent as much as new Toyotas cost for a “hunting rig”, I could drive it to a trailhead and that’s about it. Take it up a tight forest road with limbs scraping the side, or across sage flats, or ... ??? I don’t think I could do it. Would hurt too bad.

I only see a couple of trucks on there and they ain't silverado's. In fact, there sure are a lot of "foreign" made companies in the top ten.
Understood. Drive what you want. I have my reasons for not buying an import. Seems driving anything branded by the Big Three isn't what it used to be. I still do. Me, no Asian rigs in my garage. mtmuley

Advantage mid-size:
-cheaper parts
-tight spaces
-turn radius

Advantage full size:
-haul weight
-passenger and gear capacity
-towing

A wash:
-gas mileage
-purchase price

A hate the feel of driving full size trucks. It feels like a giant boat that never seems to fit right in parking spaces, heavy traffic, or a garage. Also, the seat is twice the size of my ass, so there’s no way to sit comfortably. The seats are built to fit someone who is 350 lbs. I like late 80’s chevys, because they’re a bit smaller, but anything made since then just doesn’t cut it for me.

If you need one for the towing/hauling or passengers, or you just like them, by all means get a full size rig.

I have an ‘04 ranger currently, and a ‘95 taco previously. Next truck will be a mid-sized quad cab for kiddo capacity, and the one after that probably the newer model Ranger when the used price dips into the low teens.

My wife calls my vehicles “little boy trucks.” She’s been on me to buy a “real truck”, i.e. a full-sized truck since the day we met.

My all time favorite are the REALLY short dudes who drive Avalanches, 1 ton trucks, trucks with a 10” lift, etc. and they’re perched up there like a Oompa Loompa.

Really wanted to go mid size. Couldn’t ever figure how to get dog crates and all my gear in there.
Thats my worry with my tacoma and new dog. I love my truck, but man the bed is small. And dog crates are big!

I have the Colorado ZR2 in diesel. Offroad all day long in 4 wheel drive and got 17 miles to the gallon with the truck loaded. Front and rear lockers standard and 25 mpg on the highway. The biggest thing for me was rear leg room. The Ford Ranger has none. The Tacoma is tight. I like the Gladiator, but it costs significantly more than the ZR in diesel. Plus the on highway ride of the ZR2 can't be beat. 66000 and counting, no issues.

Here is my truck/hunting vehicle parade the last 9 years:

1. Bought a Taco SR5 4x4 Double cab new in 09. I got the 6 speed manual as I am NOT a fan of autos in trucks and particularly the ones in Tacos. I drove that from Bragg out to CO pulling a fully loaded 12x6 trailer and got about 15mpg (normal highway about 21). Truck was flawless. Took it off road a bit but because it was a daily driver it was babied somewhat. Had a hard tonneau cover on it that was nice but even with it off cargo was pretty limited (pics are of a solo antelope hunt). When we would go to elk camp I could not even fit all of my stuff, let alone help with extras. I came into some money (granpa passed) and I bought....
2. Big Blue, a 91 F350 crew cab long bed with a 460. The 460 was tired, the 5 speed clutch was a PITA, the bugger DRANK fuel at an astonishing rate but was a tank in 4lo with the hubs locked. Just put it in 1st gear and chug up a wall. It could also carry anything. In 16 I had to go work in Germany, could not take the Taco (which was paid off) and had no idea how long I would be gone. I sold the Taco for 16k with 120k miles on it (I paid 25.5k new). Was in Germany less than expected (6 months) and when I got back drove Big Blue for a week before I KNEW that was not a reasonable thing to do. Decided to give a combo daily/hunting rig a shot.....
3. Bought a '95 Jeep YJ 4cyl thinking it would be decent mileage and capable. While it was very capable off road, mileage was 18 at best, it was VERY slow and uncomfortable on road. I lasted 6 months before a leased a car. Used it hunting one more year before coming back to a full size truck.....
4. I am coming up on 3 years now with Doug the 92 Dodge W150. 5.2l V8, 5 speed, single cab, long bed with a cap. I got a steal at about $2k for him and just had to give him a clutch (first expense for repairs) and he will get close to 18 mpg on the highway at the speed limit. Solid axles, LSD rear. Bought it from original owner's son and happy with him.

While I loved the Taco, a couple of things let me to where I am. There NO replacement for an 8ft bed. The difference is amazing. Further, since it is not my daily driver I was able to get ugly and functional and be happy. He is reasonable to drive on the road and nice off road. Here is a (bad) video of me coming out of hunting camp year before last.

If it was going to be mostly a daily driver I would still go back to a Taco with all that being said (although I would get the longer bed and a cap for sure). Mileage will not be any better but it is a much more pleasant drive. And if you are buying new you can get a TRD Pro and save about 10k over the Bison Diesel.....use that for goodies (which are endless) that will make it even more invincible and STILL have Toyota reliability and resale. After all, the only reason there IS a Bison is because of AEV......

Attachments

• GEDC1084.JPG
    GEDC1084.JPG
    925.8 KB · Views: 10
  • GEDC1085.JPG
    GEDC1085.JPG
    928.7 KB · Views: 13
  • GEDC1089.JPG
    GEDC1089.JPG
    93.1 KB · Views: 12
  • GEDC1111.JPG
    GEDC1111.JPG
    101.4 KB · Views: 15
  • GEDC1115.JPG
    GEDC1115.JPG
    132.3 KB · Views: 14
  • 20181017_153214 (1).jpg
    20181017_153214 (1).jpg
    920.1 KB · Views: 14
  • Doug shakedown.jpg
    Doug shakedown.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 13
  • Jeep 1.jpg
    Jeep 1.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 11
  • Jeep winch install.jpg
    Jeep winch install.jpg
    113.8 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
I am on my 2nd Tacoma. They have both been great. 180k on the first one when it was totaled in a wreck. 140k on the current. Never had any issues with them and just do the routine maintenance.

Hard to beat the reliability. The locker has saved me a few times as well. They perform well off-road with good tires.

I will say I find myself wanting a bigger truck most of the time. I am watching what Toyota will do to compete with the Ecoboost and crew cab long bed F150. If comparable features show up in a Tundra I will probably be at the local stealer signing papers.

If you need more power and towing, wait for the supercharged ZRX. Based on the Silverado and coming in 2022 apparently. mtmuley
Pretty crazy that it has taken RAM 🐏 and GM 10-11 years to make a Ford Raptor fighter. I currently don’t have a need to tow or tow much, unless in the future I am able to get a boat, an enclosed trailer or a small to medium camper. Even then the weight shouldn’t be too much. I would absolutely be fine with the Colorado ZR2/Bison. It’s been my dream truck for a few years now. I use to sell Chevrolet and my last vehicle that I sold was a new ZR2 in a dark grey color, crew cab, gas motor. Pretty much what I would want and fitting as my last. I was just making sure that people knew that it tows that much less than the standard Colorado.

My .02 cents.

The one and only advantage a Colorado has over a Tacoma in my opinion is the ride Quality.

I am on my 3rd Tacoma and currently own 2.

I have personally put close to 250,000 miles on 4 different Colorado’s in about 4 years.

I have a 2020 Colorado sitting in the drive that is my Company truck. It has 11,000 miles on it. I have 11 more Colorado’s that my crew uses that I am responsible for. We have about 120 more scattered throughout the State on other crews.

Before my current Colorado I had a 2019 Colorado company truck and before that I had a 2018 Colorado company truck and before that I had a 2016 Colorado company truck. They will not hold up. These are fleet vehicles and may be somewhat different that what an individual would buy.

With all that said there is zero chance I would go buy a Colorado for myself after the misery that those things deal me on an almost daily basis.

An obviously sore subject for me so take
it for what it is worth.

I have both a mid & full truck. 98 Tacoma w 335k on it & a F150 4x4 w 135k. Bought both used, low milage.
Was looking at a newer Tacoma when I found the Ford. Price was a big factor. Wanted a back up vehicle and towing & capacity came into it too. Was even offered more for my Tacoma than I paid for it on a trade in.....but the price of new trucks then did not make sense to me.
3 years later & I was tempted to get a 0% Toyota.
Nah. I'll go thru the Tacoma with new suspension & rebuild tired engine.Still runs fine. It gets me into places the big one can't.
The Ford is so useful and is now daily driver and can tow. Carried all the beams & posts for a barn. Rio prefers the Ford too. He hates riding in the back with the campershell....he prefers the cab in the Ford next to me.

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back