Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Midsize Truck Thread

My third and last cent.

The mid-size vs. full size question.

The mid size will go places that a full size wont get close to.This is due to size, manuvaribility, and with a TRD Tacoma, off road capability. For my hunting, fishing, camping, etc. that is the deciding factor in the mid vs. full question.

Also I am single and don’t have young kids. The back seats stay folded down all the time in the Tacoma which really boosts cargo spac

Now, when it comes to towing capacity, room, and a smooth ride the full size takes the cake.

Just like almost anything else their are trade offs.

Attachments

• 78AA3AB4-67C6-4970-8486-8C1D467430D4.jpeg
    78AA3AB4-67C6-4970-8486-8C1D467430D4.jpeg
    158.6 KB · Views: 20
How do you like having the cap on your ranger griz? I have a 2019 ranger with a hard folding tonneau cover on it right now but I am thinking of switching.
I love it. I did the Bedrug too which is great. One more thing to consider is the Ford Performance shocks... HUGE upgrade!

I know Taco has a good reliability track record, and we'll see how the Ranger does over the next few years, but mine has been great so far and the improvements over the decades-old Toyota technology is astounding.

Now, when it comes to towing capacity, room, and a smooth ride the full size takes the cake.
Totally agree with this. Especially the towing part. I have a 4Runner with similar issues to the Tacoma when it comes to being underpowered. I often pull a 1200# open trailer behind It with a 1500# side by side on it. The thing is constantly downshifting on even the most modest inclines. I love the truck and what it can do offroad, but if you’ll be doing much towing, I’d be looking at a full sized truck. I pulled the side by side from NC to UT behind a rented Tahoe, and barely new it was there. So it really boils down to what you need it to do. If the lackluster power is OK for your purposes, then I’d go with the Taco over the Colorado for reliability and longevity.

Random thoughts....

It should be a crime that the Tacoma Tacoma TRD Pro doesn't have a locking front diff.

Reliability of the gen 3 tacoma does not compare to that of the gen 1 and 2 (even taking into account the rusted frame issues).

The diesel option in the Colorado is in limbo since GM announced that the plant that produces them is closing. Rumor says production is moving to another plant but that's just rumor.

The Jeep gladiator is really really expensive for what you get.

The Ranger FX4 package can be had even on the base truck providing good bang for the buck if you want a decent off roader without breaking the bank.

The colorado ZR2 with its locking front and rear diff, skid plates and DSSV shocks is a really good package for the money.

There have been some times when I REALLY wished I had a shorter and narrower truck.
I've ran into that a couple times, but it's not as often an occurance of wishing I had more cargo room. I currently drive an Avalanche, which has more space than a midsize, and still often want more space.

When I was truck shopping this spring I really wanted to like the Colorado/Canyon's; I just couldn't get over the reliability concerns as noted in previous posts. Granted you could almost try a couple of them for the price of a clean Toyota with comparable mileage, but there's just something that eats at the back of your brain when reliability seems to be a common issue. The next time I'm in the market I will be interested to see how the new Rangers have shaken out.

I've ran into that a couple times, but it's not as often an occurance of wishing I had more cargo room.
Sure, it's all about application. Does you no good to fit all your shit in the back if you can't get to where you're going, or you get to where you're going but had to leave the wall tent and wood stove. Leaves two choices, pick different spots to go or leave some stuff at home.

When I was truck shopping this spring I really wanted to like the Colorado/Canyon's; I just couldn't get over the reliability concerns as noted in previous posts. Granted you could almost try a couple of them for the price of a clean Toyota with comparable mileage, but there's just something that eats at the back of your brain when reliability seems to be a common issue. The next time I'm in the market I will be interested to see how the new Rangers have shaken out.
A friend of mine is looking hard at one and they sure seem to be great trucks. Completely different design, but I got my ancient Ranger into some crazy places with chains on all 4.

I love it. I did the Bedrug too which is great. One more thing to consider is the Ford Performance shocks... HUGE upgrade!

I know Taco has a good reliability track record, and we'll see how the Ranger does over the next few years, but mine has been great so far and the improvements over the decades-old Toyota technology is astounding.
I am thinking about going the cap/drawer route due to the amount of stuff I have to haul around for work. Overall, I love my ranger but I think my next truck will be a full size. I bought the Ranger because I'm living in the city and parking a full size would be a nightmare in my neighborhood

I had a V6 2015 Colorado up until last year. I got about 22mpg up until the transmission went out at 90K miles. It was right before they shortened the power train warranty, so it was still covered. They opted to rebuild the transmission, and 19mpg was the best I could ever get. The transmission was also a bit rough after the rebuild. That being said it wasn't a bad truck otherwise. It handled all the day to day stuff for me, but it was awfully cramped on road trips with just one other person. Also, if you have to put a car seat in the back you pretty much have to move the front seat all the way up, so it kills two seats. However, if it was up to me I would get a full size truck unless you are often parking in tight spots or off roading in tight spots. Otherwise it's just not worth getting a smaller truck. Full size trucks aren't that much more expensive for what I was needing/looking for, and the gas mileage isn't that far off either. That's just my $0.02.

I went from full size to a 2017 Tacoma> The size of the truck didnt bother me much but the lack of power drove me crazy. 6 speed tranny never stayed in 6th gear even on interstate. The truck could barely maintain a speed of 70mph and would shift up and down if i used cruise control. The truck did great off road and in the city but interstate and towing it just didn't have any guts. I am back in a full size. Fuel mileage was a little better with the Tacoma but not much at all.

I literally bought a new 2020 Tacoma Trd off road yesterday with the double cab and long (6 foot) box after trading in my 13 year old frontier that had 140k trouble free miles. I loved that frontier but wanted a change of pace and to see what all the jazz about the tacomas was about. The old truck and the new one both have toppers. I tow a 3000 pound boat and the frontier labored a little up long hills but so what. Not worth it to me to have tremendous power but then such limited maneuverability with the full sizers. I can't tell you how many people criticized me when I moved to Montana ten years ago and bought a mid sized. I've never regretted it once. Riding around on forest roads in friends full sized trucks vindicates this thought even more. The topper is a must for me too. Plenty of storage space and at 5'10, I can still comfortably sleep in it. Good luck on your search.

I literally bought a new 2020 Tacoma Trd off road yesterday with the double cab and long (6 foot) box after trading in my 13 year old frontier that had 140k trouble free miles. I loved that frontier but wanted a change of pace and to see what all the jazz about the tacomas was about. The old truck and the new one both have toppers. I tow a 3000 pound boat and the frontier labored a little up long hills but so what. Not worth it to me to have tremendous power but then such limited maneuverability with the full sizers. I can't tell you how many people criticized me when I moved to Montana ten years ago and bought a mid sized. I've never regretted it once. Riding around on forest roads in friends full sized trucks vindicates this thought even more. The topper is a must for me too. Plenty of storage space and at 5'10, I can still comfortably sleep in it. Good luck on your search.

The only change I would have made when I just bought the 2018 Tacoma is that I wish I could have found one with a 6ft bed.

I have a Frontier and I cant recommenced it highly enough. I bought a 2012 4x4 crew cab in 2015 it had 35k miles on. It was my daily driver 90 miles most days. It also went from SC to NM 3 times, Texas twice, CO once, Arkansas 3 times, Florida twice (other places Im sure Im forgetting). I just traded it in at 178k. 150k in under 5 years. I had zero issues. ZERO! I changed the tires, breaks, oil every 10k with full synthetic, and transmission fluid once. I beat the heck out of it. Drove it on roads that the only other vehiclues were atv's, utv's and lifted jeeps. My 2012 was stock except for 31" tires. I just got a "new" 2017 frontier with 17k miles on it. This one has a 2.5" lift and 33" tires and new skid plates for the really bad roads. It will soon have a winch and topper. I put a prerunner style rear bumper for better angles if it gets real exciting. I treat my truck like a UTV. For me its a tool. If i scratch it up thats fine. Dents and dings here and there are ok. I used to have a 99 dodge ram and the frontier has more power as a V6 then my ram did as a V8. Its plenty of power for me. It is also incredibly nimble compared to full size trucks. For me its a Tacoma or a Frontier. Those are the only 2 trucks I'll even consider. Frontier isn't fancy and its more affordable. It is a perfect truck for me.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gowest23
Back