Midsize Truck Thread

I went from full size to a 2017 Tacoma> The size of the truck didnt bother me much but the lack of power drove me crazy. 6 speed tranny never stayed in 6th gear even on interstate. The truck could barely maintain a speed of 70mph and would shift up and down if i used cruise control. The truck did great off road and in the city but interstate and towing it just didn't have any guts. I am back in a full size. Fuel mileage was a little better with the Tacoma but not much at all.

I have heard about some shifting issues in the Gen 3 Tacomas. I did a good bit of research before I tied in to mine. It seems like some of them have the issues and some don't. I will say they that shifting pattern on the transmission is different than anything I have ever driven and is going to take some getting used to as far as making the truck do what I want with my foot and accelerator.

I haven't towed with my 2018 as I have only had it a for a few weeks but on the Interstate doing 75 I am running about 1650-1700 RPM's on cruise control with no issues. So I guess mine must be finding 6th gear.

In colorado you either see a jeep, Tacoma or forerunner on many of the nasty offroads as a lot of other vehicles just can't fit well

i venture to guess that has more to do with it being required that you finance either a jeep (specifically the 4-door), tacoma, 4runner, forester, or outback to gain legal residency in colorado after moving here

I’ve had a Jeep gladiator since October.
I’ve enjoyed it more than I thought I would.
17,000mi so far no issues.
Sunrider roof is cool.
black plastic fenders and bumpers on the base model are nice because if you scratch them you can just swap them out yourself without having to pay for body work.
I agree with mthuntr about the fuel mileage and it would be nice to have a bed big enough to sleep in with the tailgate up and be able to throw my bike in without having to take the wheels off.
Looks way cooler than all other trucks.

To the OP: I just bought a Gladiator as well and have been loving it. It'll cost you a bit more than some of the other options, but the off road capability and comfort is really great. I only have 3k on it but have enjoyed the heck out of it. It's quite a bit different than any other mid-size that I test drove (including Colorado and Taco) but is just as capable in every facet besides an unknown reliability track record. I didn't expect this out of Jeep, but the interior is simply amazing compared to the other two I drove and the user interface tech is also much better.

I got the Rubicon and if you drive it over 70 mph all the time I'd definitely recommend either the Sport or a bigger truck. I'd assume the different gearing in the sport may give you lower RPMs at higher speeds, but I guess I haven't thought that out all that much. I'm sure someone here knows much better than me.

I hope you enjoy the Chevy if you go that route! Those are great trucks as well.

Got a '13 Frontier SV 4X4 w/ 80K miles. Zero issues. Great truck. There are times I wish I had more room and miss the rumble of a V8, but the Frontier has served me well on several extended deer and elk hunts. It'll be interesting to see what the 2021 model looks like. Best of luck on your new rig!

I'm a Chevy guy. Owned many. If I wanted a full size, I'd go Chevy. I like the drivetrains.... the LSx platform is great.

That being said, I drive a Tacoma. I wanted someone smaller as they are easier in town and on trails. Between how sitting in one felt over the Colorado and the resale, I went Tacoma thinking I could get out of it pretty easy if I didn't like it and wanted to go back to a full size. I bought new as I don't find much of a deal on used 4x4s around here.

25k for a used Taco with 125k miles or a new Taco with a few less features for $30k? Miles are way more important than bells and whistles.

That was 4 years ago. I've been happy. The truck has been reliable except the battery.... which I replaced.

Compared to older Tacos, the 3rd gen is more quiet, more power, more fuel efficient, and tows more. The drive train isn't as new as you would think as it is derived from other platforms and is architecturally the same as the 4.0 just different rotating assembly.

There are two complaints about the new truck that may be valid.

1. This truck is drive by wire. The throttle plate is motor and not cable actuated. You can press the pedal to the floor and that throttle plate is only going to open the amount the computer tells it to. Toyota really could have improved the driving experience through better programming. I think this is where alot of people have issues with "transmission" or "power"

I always turn ECT on and it's more enjoyable to drive this way with minimal MPG hit if any.

OVTune would be a better option.

2. The radio brightness is buried in the menus. The display basically disappears when it's daylight and you turn your headlights on....meaning you must flip through the menu to fix.

I like the capability and looks of the Gladiator. Jeeps can have reliability issues though.

I like the ZR2, but you lose a lot of capacity going to it over the regular models.

The Ranger is an interesting truck, but I'm not to sure about a turbo 4. Turbos are hard on parts, but the ecoboost 6s have been doing well..... diesels are good with them too.

I'd probably go Tacoma if I were to buy today. Cost, reliability, capability, and resale.

It's not the most capable off road, but it's close.

There doesn't seem to be a lot of discussions on midsize trucks. I'm kicking around whether I should go for a new truck (Colorado/Canyon or Tacoma) or buy my dad's 2014 Silverado off him. I really like the adaptive cruise control on the Tacoma and it would lower my blood pressure on my work trips down I-25, but every other factor pulls me towards the Colorado.

Anyone have thoughts on their midsize truck?

I had a 2012 Silverado Z71 LTZ. I loved it. Super dependable and comfortable. However, when buying a new truck I settled on a Colorado ZR2. It doesn't have every luxury piece, but it has most. The major selling point was how it drives. It’s fast and sporty, and is nearly as roomy. I’m 6’5” 250. The ride and comfort are top knotch. It crushes on my buddies Tacoma. I like Tacoma’s but they are utilitarian, and are super reliable. I piped and intaked it, and it smokes now. The off-road features, like front and rear lockers, are awesome. It gets better gas mileage too. Not great of course...

Attachments

• BB049B5D-AEA6-4DD2-B0E3-5FEC2857B8CE.jpeg
    BB049B5D-AEA6-4DD2-B0E3-5FEC2857B8CE.jpeg
    465.6 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
If your wanting the best, towing, payload, and MPG go with the ranger. Although as a ford lover I'll admit it doesnt stack up quite as well as the others when it comes to off road capability. But I cant imagine it being unable to get you somewhere. Also I know there is one model of the gladiator that can just barely out tow the ranger and has a bit more payload. But that is substantially more expensive. I have a ranger and that 10 speed transmission is amazing. Although I cant speak to the reliability as its only 4 months old and 11k miles, it towed a 5000 lb trailer up some decent hills to my house and I was very surprised with the power.

But like I said, chevy toyota and the jeep beat it in off road capability. For hunting though, im not sure you would end up short handed. Also that front locker on the chevy is nice.

Honestly, lockers are great, but they really aren't needed. People got around for a long time on 4wd with open diffs. Tires are way more important for 99% of us.
Kind of where I’m at... I really wanted to add an ARB locker to my Tundra until I used the Toyota A-Trac system enough to realize it works extremely well for the conditions I use it in.

Advantage mid-size:
-cheaper parts
-tight spaces
-turn radius

Advantage full size:
-haul weight
-passenger and gear capacity
-towing

A wash:
-gas mileage
-purchase price

A hate the feel of driving full size trucks. It feels like a giant boat that never seems to fit right in parking spaces, heavy traffic, or a garage. Also, the seat is twice the size of my ass, so there’s no way to sit comfortably. The seats are built to fit someone who is 350 lbs. I like late 80’s chevys, because they’re a bit smaller, but anything made since then just doesn’t cut it for me.

If you need one for the towing/hauling or passengers, or you just like them, by all means get a full size rig.

I have an ‘04 ranger currently, and a ‘95 taco previously. Next truck will be a mid-sized quad cab for kiddo capacity, and the one after that probably the newer model Ranger when the used price dips into the low teens.

My wife calls my vehicles “little boy trucks.” She’s been on me to buy a “real truck”, i.e. a full-sized truck since the day we met.

My all time favorite are the REALLY short dudes who drive Avalanches, 1 ton trucks, trucks with a 10” lift, etc. and they’re perched up there like a Oompa Loompa.
for the record, just what do yo consider short?

I just went through this myself. I ended up getting a 2020 Chevy Colorado with 11.7k miles on it less than a week ago. From my test drives, it really came out the winner. The Ford Ranger was nice, but driving down the freeway felt like everything was vibrating and the shifting got a little squirrely. The Chevy has a really nice ride, but pretty basic interior (which I prefer). I sat in a Tacoma and my head was hitting the ceiling and with the hood scoop you had very little windshield to look out of (I am 6'3"). Also sat in an F150 and a Silverado and just could not see driving something so big every day. I dont have anything to tow and I dont do any crazy offroading, so a basic midsized is perfect for me. We will have to see about reliability issues, but that is always a crapshoot!

I have a 2014 Silverado. I'm 6' 2" and love having the long bed to sleep in when its super nasty weather if I'm out scouting, camping, fishing, etc. That's one of the main reasons I purchased the truck as I do a ton of BLM camping off roads. Plus the wife likes it so that's a bonus;) I also haul a lot of crap around all the time so I needed the big bed. Crew cab is nice because if one of my buddies or nephews comes with me they can sleep up in there-there's enough room, unless they are taller than me. Its been a solid vehicle for me for a few years.
I will say, I did learn my lesson last late elk season when I took it back a bit too far on a nasty little snow covered dirt road and got pretty darn stuck, even with chains that long back end was a detriment to getting around. That's mostly user error on that one, but if I had to purchase a new vehicle now I'd go Jeep or 4Runner. Just easier to maneuver and can get in and out of a lot more potential jams IMO.

I had a 2012 Silverado Z71 LTZ. I loved it. Super dependable and comfortable. However, when buying a new truck I settled on a Colorado ZR2. It does have every luxury piece, but it has most. The major selling point was how it drives. It’s fast and sporty, and is nearly as roomy. I’m 6’5” 250. The ride and comfort are too knotch. It crushes on my buddies Tacoma. I like Tacoma’s but they are utilitarian, and are super reliable. I piped and intakes it, and it smokes now. It gets better gas mileage too. Not great of course...
As I am sure that I mentioned above the Colorado ZR2 has been my dream truck since they have come out. Yes they’re not as flashy, roomy, or capable in most cases as a Raptor (although the Raptor bed is short it’s wider than all other 5ft beds) but it’s not as expensive or as bulky on tight backcountry trails. I have a girlfriend now and she has a son and some year we may have our own, but it still has room for 4 passengers if not 5. Sadly it only tows 5000 lbs (most campers and boats that I would tow with it are less than 3500) and the mpg probably isn’t the best from what I heard. Still from driving the gas model some when I use to be a salesman for Chevy, I like it.
Nice bronze wheels by the way. Pretty cool 😎 looking. I would probably go gray, satin steel metallic, blue or the deep wood green they had on the 18s if I can find one.

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back