Ford 7.3 gas opinions

Jfc. I come to this forum to avoid politics. Let's not turn this into the YouTube comment section, we're better than that.
Thank you Bsquad!

I know that I have a strong political opinion.

Yesterday I spent over a half hour writing a reply to a response to an earlier post that I had made. Just before I hit the post button I saw your post above, so instead of posting my reply, I deleted it.

So again, Bsquad, thanks for helping to keep this Forum about hunting and shooting and not about politics.

Thank you Bsquad!

I know that I have a strong political opinion.

Yesterday I spent over a half hour writing a reply to a response to an earlier post that I had made. Just before I hit the post button I saw your post above, so instead of posting my reply, I deleted it.

So again, Bsquad, thanks for helping to keep this Forum about hunting and shooting and not about politics.
Oh I know, I have to catch myself from doing it too. It's like a virus. I'm not trying to dog on anyone. I really do hate politics and the way it makes us treat each other.

my progression of recent trucks was an 08 duramax bought in 08, went to a 2020 gmc 6.6 gas and felt it was very comparable power wise to the duramax. lost some torque but all out I was mostly satisfied with the truck. the GMC only has 3.73 rear axles and a 6spd transmission, towing above 14K pounds on something steep is the only place that I was dissatisfied by the powertrain (until it blew out the transmission but that was GM's fault and not a reason to avoid them, issue has been resolved)

this spring traded the GM in on a 22 F350 with the 4.3 rear, between the 10spd and 4.3 that thing is a beast. the pin weight on my horse trailer is 3500pounds, towing that trailer getting about 8mpg. long road trip empty about 13mpg, my average daily towing a bumper pull trailer that is probably 2-3K is about 10mpg. the 7.3 with the 4.3 rear is getting just about the same exact mpg as the gmc was getting.

all in the ford is more comfortable, the 10spd is smooth for me, the 23's have some features i like (the side steps in the bed/bumper) but due to production chain it looked like a lot of options were being cut from the XLT lineup. I would look at the pin weight of your camper and decide if you want 250 or 350 and also use that to decide between the 3.73, 4.3 or a different rear axle, i'm towing 95% of the time so the 4.3 was the right choice for me

beins you already have a 2014 powerstroke diesel,,and pull a big trailer,,even though im now a dodge guy id keep your diesel,,,,,the 7.3 gas moter truck is decent when running empty,but very thirsty if you pull big trailers,,,that my opinion as a diesel mechanic of 40 yrs,,either way niether is fully maintenence free.

TFL Trucks boasts about the 7.3 and after riding in one, it delivers. My hunting buddy has one and it does 65 (and faster) up the passes here in CO towing 35' camper. Grab a spare spark plug wire. We had one go out on a trip and there was only one at the dealership. A quick search and this seems to be a growing problem and you should change them frequently. I am a big fan diesel, but this thing has me thinking it not needed for all of the reasons mentioned above.

7.3 gassers have been having flat cam and lifter tick issues lately,,puts metel shavings into the oil and they have been loosing whole engines,,also apparently there are head gasket issues also w the 7.3 gasser..they dont make em like the old ford 460 back in the day,,,just a heads up if your thinking about a 7.3 gasser.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back