Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Marital Advice

Hunt opener or travel 6 hours to wedding?

• Hunt

Votes: 36 46.2%
  • Wedding

Votes: 42 53.8%
  • Other (please comment)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Same boat. I'm my cousins best man this year wedding is the best weekend to hunt whitetails of the whole year. I gave in on that. Bachelor party is duck opener. Nope you can have one or the other but two weekends I dont think so.his wife to be is having a cow because I'm not going to the rehearsal dinner. I'm hunting that morning then making the 3 hour ride up. We never even had one for our wedding, not to derail but why is that even a thing?
Man that’s rough, what the hell is wrong with these people?? 😂

Just regular tags, nothing special. I’m more worried about the grief it may cause because one of the only times I’ve ever just said no and refused any compromise was to getting married anywhere near the fall!
Yeah that makes for an annual event whereas someone else’s wedding is a one-time event. Skip the hunting opener.

Last year my older sister got pregnant (again) and decided to throw together an improptu wedding (again) with about 30 days notice. It was in September in the middle of the ID elk hunt I'd been planning for two years. After much deliberation and thought I did what I believed was best.

I went hunting

Last edited:
If you are very close with them, go. If you think you wont fully enjoy your hunt because of guilt, go. If you think it will effect your marriage, go.
If none of the above go hunt. From your posts you seem like a good guy. Enjoy the wedding.
If it was me I would go hunting but thats my burden.

In the defense of folks… when is it not a bad time to get married for a sportsman.

My AK season starts in August and my MA season ends in Jan. About 8 opening weekends in there for various species in various states… theright into spring turkey and bear.

As long as someone gives me a full years notice I don’t care, 4-5 months that person is a dick.

IMHO there is absolutely zero reason why you can’t give people ample notice about weddings.

@TN2shot07 if you go to the wedding take the hit and don’t complain about it, any good will you gain by putting your wife’s family first on the occasion will be lost if you whine. Clearly your wife knows how you feel about hunting, so if you go, go full send on making sure she has a good time, help out her family, make her proud she married you. Betas drink in the corner and bitch about the opener.

Last edited by a moderator:
I made the rule when we graduated college and could have went to a wedding every weekend I only go to the wedding if I, my wife, and now my kids are in the wedding. I thought I was good to go with that rule but I skipped my wife’s cousin’s wedding about 6 years ago to go elk hunting. I heard about missing it about once a year from my wife for about 4 years. I don’t regret my decision to go hunting at all. I am trying to figure out a way to skip another one of my wife’s cousins weddings in September.

The wedding in consideration is a destination wedding there will probably be a reception at a later date closer to home? IMO when someone has a destination wedding and a guest can’t make it the bride and groom cannot be upset. But your wife can, and will no matter what she says.

the bottom line is you are damned if you go to the wedding and damned if you don’t go to the wedding.

In the defense of folks… when is it not a bad time to get married for a sportsman.

My AK season starts in August and my MA season ends in Jan. About 8 opening weekends in there for various species in various states… theright into spring turkey and bear.

As long as someone gives me a full years notice I don’t care, 4-5 months that person is a dick.

IMHO there is absolutely zero reason why you can’t give people ample notice about weddings.

@TN2shot07 if you go to the wedding take the hit and don’t complain about it, any good will you gain by putting your wife’s family first on the occasion will be lost if you whine. Clearly your wife knows how you feel about hunting, so if you go, go full send on making sure she has a good time, help out her family, make her proud she married you. Betas drink in the corner and bitch about the opener.
I completely agree!
Dick move to plan a wedding 4 months out during season…
And if I do go it might as well build some good will towards a future hunt, sulking around won’t do me a damn bit of good!

Bunch of Beta males in here. Show you're the alpha and put your foot down.
Or a bunch of Sunday School graduates who know something about the Golden Rule.

Honestly, I can't believe all you guys who think it's such a big deal for him to hunt the opener. Bet you're also crashing the store doors at first light on Black Friday ... with curlers still in your hair. Baaaah, baaaah.

Hard to give a full years notice when a pregnancy is only nine months. Oh wait, I may be projecting a little bit.

colorado offers otc for two seasons and ample leftover tags

and statistically speaking you won't come home with an elk and you'll feel like even more of an ass

i'd say rearrange the hunting schedule and grab a different tag

Hard to give a full years notice when a pregnancy is only nine months. Oh wait, I may be projecting a little bit.
Court will get it done with no notice ;)
In Montana you can actually marry yourselves, essentially you just write “We’re married” on a piece of paper and take it to the clerk to be recorded.

Or a bunch of Sunday School graduates who know something about the Golden Rule.

Honestly, I can't believe all you guys who think it's such a big deal for him to hunt the opener. Bet you're also crashing the store doors at first light on Black Friday ... with curlers still in your hair. Baaaah, baaaah.
You have a unique talent for creating conflict and drama out of thin air. Where did you get your magic wand for making conflict and drama appear and disappear? I'll have to look for one at the technocrap counter next time I make it in to Cabelas.

I completely agree!
Dick move to plan a wedding 4 months out during season…

Planning a wedding in the time of COVID isn't always easy. I got married last year. Was trying to have a little wedding with 35-40 people and still got cancelled on by 2 venues.

Hard for anyone who isn't you to know your relationship with in-laws and how you've prioritized hunting in your marriage. To me it seems like an opportunity to gain some relationship capital for additional future hunting quests.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theghostbull
Back