Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

March Madness - 2013

As far as the west is concerned, especially Gonzaga, I dont think they are that good. the Zags havent played anyone....beating the patsies they have shouldnt warrant a #1 seed. Take a team like......Michigan, a #4 seed. If they would have played that easy schedule, they would be undefeated.

They arguably have one of the best players in the country, their RPI rank is 6 or 7, they have I think the 3rd best shooting % in the country. Every year they try to put themselves through one of the toughest non conference schedules. They can't help where a team ranks each year, schedules are set years in advance. lets see they played, K-state, OK, OK St, Butler, Illinois, Baylor...nah they didn't play anyone. :D

I've signed up and will play along. Thanks Fin.

Also, hoping some of my teams out of the NW have a good showing (Gonzaga, Montana, Boise State).

Kind of wish Gonzaga and OH State were flipped #1 and #2....Ohio State has the easier road to the elite 8 in my not so humble opinion.

Jezz,
I just looked them up and they lost to ILL and Butler....cant give them much credit for that. They padded their schedule with wins over San Francisco, Pepperdine, San Diego, Santa Clara, Portland, Southern, Loyola Marymount, something abbreviated LEW (and I dont think that stands for Duke!), St Marys, Washington State and Campbell. Most of these teams they played twice. They have played 3 teams ranked in the top 25 when they played them. They won 1 (#22 Okla St...a nice win) and lost 2. That is not the resume of a No. 1 seed in my book. But hey, that is why they play the games....if they win it all, it will be deserved!

Now we wont talk about my team, because my team ....although it is in the tourney... does not deserve to be there!

I wonder how many - this will define the winner(s) by score.

We all know it will be Zaga vs Marq's! :D

Jezz,
I just looked them up and they lost to ILL and Butler....cant give them much credit for that. They padded their schedule with wins over San Francisco, Pepperdine, San Diego, Santa Clara, Portland, Southern, Loyola Marymount, something abbreviated LEW (and I dont think that stands for Duke!), St Marys, Washington State and Campbell. Most of these teams they played twice. They have played 3 teams ranked in the top 25 when they played them. They won 1 (#22 Okla St...a nice win) and lost 2. That is not the resume of a No. 1 seed in my book. But hey, that is why they play the games....if they win it all, it will be deserved!

You said they didn't play anyone, so I mentioned Butler, IL and the others. I didn't say they won. Padded? Those are called (except for WSU and Campbell) conference opponents, they have to play them...twice. The only padding is their conference and I would say for a school with 8k enrollment Mark Few has built a pretty respectable resume. The only 2 losses are against teams that were ranked higher at the time. They won the games they were favored to win. Look at many of the top ten teams. Kansas for instance, didn't they lose twice in the same week to unranked opponents? I just can't understand how the AP and coaches poll has a team ranked #1 in the country and some say they don't deserve a #1 seed........:rolleyes:

At any rate, you are right that is why there is a tournament. Aside from rank in the tournament it doesn't matter anymore who played who. That's what makes it the best tournament in sports.

..anyone catch 30 for 30 story (Survive and Advance) about Valvano and the 1983 North Carolina State run to the championship? I had forgotten how amazing that was.

Coach "V" running around and not finding anyone to hug is pretty funny

Ain't playing bracket game wid y'alll, but you whiners about BCS only having Big guys participate shud be thrilled with all the Little guys.....Three from SEC and the whole conference from PAC12.....wud appear SOS means nothing unless you lose to a team who is 300 plus...

Go St Mary's....my pick to win it all....or maybe LaSalle....

BTW, Gonzaga's 2 losses were to Butler and Illinois, which were both ranked at the time of the games. Indiana also lost to the same 2 teams which were not ranked at the time of the games. Granted the WCC is weak, but when you are 16-1 on the road, and even in a weak conference you always get everybody's best game. Most of the WCC teams never sell out unless they are playing Gonzaga, can't get tickets even in lowly Portland when Gonzaga comes to town.

Will all the ZAG fans on this site..... 1/2 will be out of the tourney... so my chances look pretty good.

In all seriousness... I like the Zag's... just don't know howe afr they can go against the big boys.

good luck to all
the dog

Back