Manner of harvest for B&C Mule deer

Which describes how you killed your first B&C Mule Deer.

• One of my first 5 mule deer bucks (unguided)

Votes: 4 3.1%
  • One of my first 10 Bucks General unit (unguided)

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • More than 10 bucks in a general unit (Unguided)

Votes: 5 3.8%
  • one of my first 5 deer GUIDED

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • One of my first 10 deer Guided

• More than 10 bucks Guided

• One of my first 5 bucks unguided/ Limited entry unit

Votes: 4 3.1%
  • One of my first 10 bucks unguided/ Limited entry unit

• More than 10 bucks before I killed a B&C buck and I did it in an LE unit

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • I have not killed a B&C Buck.

Votes: 112 86.2%

• Total voters

2rocky

I've had some discussions about people who kill big mule deer, and I wanted to get a feel for how the members here succeed.

I contend that people hunt a long time for "nice" bucks and stumble onto Booners, much like the video on the Giant Colorado Mule deer.

I think many B&C bucks are killed but not entered by DIY hunters in General units

Please bear with the poll. And pick the one option that most closely matches your First B&C mule deer.

Me too John. and Also I'm going to call Region Tags in Wyoming, a "GENERAL TAG"

If I'm in a unit with a chance for a big one, I'll hold out and ignore the don't turn down on the first day what you'd shoot on the last day mantra.

I glass and move, glass and move, glass and move until I either find deer or promising sign. If I'm in an area that I know holds deer from experience, I wait longer before moving. Much tougher in October when the bucks aren't up very long in the morning or before dark. This is when I really have to do the glass and move routine since there's a short window where they're active daily. During the rut, I'll hang in one spot much longer, especially if there are does around as it's a matter of time until one of them attracts daddy. Same goes once I find something on the early season hunts. Once I'm on a good one then I like to stay after it until I get an opportunity.

I've talked to several guides that employ similar strategies. They try to cover as much ground as they can with optics, feet, etc. during the prime deer movement times until they find a buck they want to go after. They generally know their hunting areas so it's a little easier than if you're learning an area.
Obviously there's a big benefit of hunting an area consistently and learning terrain and animal habits.

My son asked me if I would shoot a small buck if it was the last day of my hunt this fall. I smiled and said the same buck is not likely to pass by without a shot on the first morning. Ha!

1985, 1991, 2003, 2009, 2011, 2014. One was from a LE hunt in Idaho, the other five are from Montana's general season. All DIY. Three from Public land, three from private. I've been pretty lucky, but I've been at it a long time. I try for old bucks(regardless of score), and have burned my fair share of tags over the years. One stretch I went nine years without killing a mule deer.

I believe if you're willing to pass good bucks, looking for great ones, work extra hard, hunt as many days as you can each season, then it's a matter of time, and you'll find and kill a really good buck.

FWIW, I've only entered one of the six into B&C. I'm not against other hunters entering their trophies, it's just not my thing.

I've Killed 1 monster buck, LE unit public land DIY, the only reason I ended up with such a big buck it that it was the first buck, first stalk, on opening morning, I was just after a good eating velvet buck, I 90% of the time hunt for meat, antlers are just a bonus.... I don't know what is considered a booner, i'm a archery guy... i've shot maybe 2 of my 15-20 deer with a rifle, almost everything gets shot with my bow..... got my buck scored for P&Y unofficial at the sportsmans show here last weekend and it went 207" gross non typical, about 180" typical....
Matt

I don't really know how BC scores go for mulies. Just got good at guessing elk it seems.
I don't really know if any have been. At least 25 mulies,30 others are questionable Blacktails.
Never scored them.
I have taken some that I'd call decent,others have raved about.
Never my 30"mark either,29 3/4"......
is 150" BC minimum? Like 350 bull?

I have seen bucks that were most likley BC but have not been able to connect. Even if I never do it wont matter because I've taken a lot of bucks that are "trophy" because of the hunt they were taken on.

I'm thinkin' I wanna hunt with Mr. Sinclair very soon... Is this poll for net all-time book as in 190+ typ, 230 non-typ?? Or is this just for an "award" buck?

I would not have thought multi-entries of all-time bucks do-able in today's environment without a killer bank account or a killer ranch in your back pocket.

I got one but found him dead of natural causes... Give the buzzards the award.

I've killed lots of muleys and one whitetail but I don't think I've ever killed a B&C buck. I usually buy a tag in case I see a giant but my focus is elk and I don't cotton to deer meat. Family likes it fine. When I was a kid I remember hearing about records coming out of SW Colorado all the time. I don't hear that so much any more.

I have been blessed with one buck that nets B&C awards and 5 others that gross better than 180.I agree with psinclar that one of the keys is being willing to eat a tag. I have passed on very nice bucks and taken them a year or two later when they were much bigger. I have been hunting for 36 years and have only taken 10 mule deer(8 public and 2 private) and 5 whitetail bucks. All of the deer were taken with in 30 miles of were I live. I don't get a lot of time to hunt. Most years I am lucky If I get more than three full days to hunt. My good fortune has a lot to do with scouting. I spend hundreds of hours a year in the field looking for sheds or glassing for bucks. I try to get at least an hour or two in every day. I have sheds from five of the top six bucks and have seen all of them at least one time before the day I got them. Most of the bucks I was able to watch many times. Four of the six were taken in the first or second week of the season. Two on opening day.

Antlerradar

deer classic

i did inform a wy outfitter who lives in iowa that boone&crockett for mule deer is 190 and not 170 like it is for iowa whitetails. i did this afew years ago @the ia deer classic.

Interesting that only one B&C buck was taken on a guided hunt. Maybe it is that not many hunters that use guides frequent hunt talk or that bucks with top end genetics that live on outfitted properties don't live long enough to make B&C. Could be a little of both. Any other thoughts as to why only one buck from a guided hunt.

Antlerradar

I have punched a couple of premium tags on dinks and that taste worse than tag soup. I believe I'm at the point where I can hold out for a booner but time will tell. I only hunt DIY and I have max points for the strip.

ps. I have taken a B&C elk and P&Y pronghorn but I have not entered either of those in the books and I doubt I ever will.

Last edited:
Back