Light weight rifle options

I just purchased a Tikka Superlite SS in 6.5 and put Talley lows and a Vortex Diamonback 4-12 on it. Whole thing minus ammo weights 7 lbs 3 oz. There's a couple ways to lighten it down to your range, but I'm going to start there as this will be the lightest rifle I've ever shot.

20210125_185741.jpg

From your list, I’d go with the Tikka. I primarily hunt with a Sako Finnlite but switched to a Seekins Havak Element last year. Both are awesome and fit your wants. I think the Sako is about six pounds? Mines in a McMillan stock so weighs a bit more than it did from the factory. The Seekins is one of the most accurate rifles I’ve ever owned and weighs 5.5 lbs.

From your list, I'd go with a the Tikka. They also make a superlite version as well. Based on your choices, a Winchester Model 70 Featherweight or Extreme Weather would seem to be in your budget as well (both weigh the same) and wouldn't be a bad option either. At 6.75 lbs they are only .25 lbs heavier than what you are looking for. I was in the same boat as you looking for a lightweight hunting rifle not long ago, and was about to pull the trigger on the Tikka, but I ended up going with the Winchester EW. I just liked the way it balanced more.

Last edited:
If you change your mind about Big Green I picked up one of the newer Model Sevens with the HS Precision stock in .243 last Fall and am amazed how well it shoots. Just six lbs bare rifle and not much heavier with Talley rings and a VX2 2-7. I did replace the trigger with a Triggertech, though. Pic is a 3-shot group at 100 yds. It shot this well with a couple of factory loads.

Attachments

• 20210128_094156.jpg
    20210128_094156.jpg
    156.1 KB · Views: 2
I’m looking to do the same thing this year if/when the world and supplies change. Currently waiting to see what this one looks and feels like if I can get my fingers on one!

4FDD5302-4BF8-48D2-B975-D1A574DC419D.jpeg

I have a kimber hunter in 280AI that weights 6lb 3 oz with talley rings and a swaro Z3 3-10x42. Pretty lightweight set up and shoots great with hammer 143s.
I have the exact same rifle. Kimber sure got it all totally right, even the price. I do not know how they did it, matched grade barrel, trimmed down model 70 action with 3 positions safety and controlled round feed. The lack of a metal trigger guard is the only thing that I could make a tiny complaint about.

But here is the bottom line. It is so light I can forget I am carrying it when slung over my head and across my back. I never had that happen before. Even with my Sako Finnlight which is a half pound more,,,

I have the exact same rifle. Kimber sure got it all totally right, even the price. I do not know how they did it, matched grade barrel, trimmed down model 70 action with 3 positions safety and controlled round feed. The lack of a metal trigger guard is the only thing that I could make a tiny complaint about.

But here is the bottom line. It is so light I can forget I am carrying it when slung over my head and across my back. I never had that happen before. Even with my Sako Finnlight which is a half pound more,,,
I’m excited to get my Modified Montana!
I’m just waiting for the stock to come back from the hydro dipper so it can be mounted.
Mine is a Montana in .280ai.

We have had good luck with tikka rifles. Lightweight and accurate. I’ve got a kimber mountain ascent 270 and it shoots great. That thing is a dream to carry.

I just went the Tikka T3x Lite route

Last edited:
My last 'project rifle' was a Ruger American 308. Simply had it rebored to 338 Fed and topped it with 2X7X32 Leupold. Just under 7 lbs loaded, and a joy to shoot.

Some good rifles listed there. The Tikka is great. If you are looking for a light weight option, look at the Tikka t3x ultralight. It shaves a little more weight. I know it doesn't come in as many calibers, but my father in law has one in 7mm-08 and loves it. It is a fantastic shooter (as are pretty much any Tikka's).

I have 2 of the discontinued savage 16 lwh, .243 and .308, both shoot half moa or better with factory ammo. My dad has the newer version, the lightweight storm in 6.5hipster. Also shoots hole for hole. 5.6 lb sub moa at a good price, savage is hard to beat.

Have you tried working the bolt on a Kimber Mtn. Ascent? I ask because I thought I wanted one of those until I went to Sportsmens Warehouse and worked the action on one. The bolt bounced up and down on the rails and was not smooth at all. I don't know if it was due to the fluting on the bolt or what but it was a show stopper for me.
I owned one and they are much worse once you start pulling the trigger.

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jerrod12
Back