Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

License refunds/reissuance

Oak

Expert
On the rulemaking notice for the September Commission meeting:

Chapter W-16 - "Procedural Rules for the Wildlife Commission” 2 CCR 406-16

Open for review of regulations pertaining to refunds and reissuance of big game licenses.

There will likely be no information posted until about a week before the Sept. 10 meeting, but I suspect they may be considering changes to the license return policy. It has been discussed internally in the last year.

The Commission here is full of idiots taking cash to Rule make and who cares about refunds?

The Commission here is full of idiots taking cash to Rule make and who cares about refunds?

I care, my idea, no refunds or points restored, but you can exchange it for a license of equal or less value for the same hunting year.

Hope and change sound good.

CPW averages over 9,000 license refunds and over 800 preference point restorations annually, resulting in a revenue loss of about $1.8 million.

CPW staff will be presenting a proposal to tweak the return/reissue program at the September meeting. It will be informational only, meaning the Commission can advance the proposal to a future meeting for a vote, they can alter the proposal and advance it, or they can kill it. But it will be the best time for the public to provide input. Stay tuned for updates to the website near the end of the month.

Talk in the CO Springs meeting as mudranger alluded to was having a cutoff date prior to the start of the season with enough turnaround time to be able to reissue that tag. A minimum of 2 weeks prior was mentioned if you want to get a point refund back to your balance.

So possibly no more scouting up till the afternoon before and still keeping your point.

Good deal IMO as long as they have the time to reissue the tag.

Hope and change sound good.

CPW averages over 9,000 license refunds and over 800 preference point restorations annually, resulting in a revenue loss of about $1.8 million.

I have always wondered how many returned tags they get, had no idea that the number was that high. The last few months I have joined a few Colorado specific Facebook hunting pages and have been at a loss for how many guys talk about turning in their tags because they haven't found enough game or big enough bucks/bulls while scouting.

Throw in another $200K or so for lost employee time & materials on that 1.8 million, that a nice cool 2 million.

How do you guys think they should reissue licenses?

How far in advance of the season should the cutoff date be for returning a license?

Should the policy of getting a refund or points back remain the same for those who return their license prior to that cutoff date?

I got a refund once because I didn't realize my 3rd choice was an A tag, but ended up buying an OTC bull tag, so in the end CO got more money from me. :) Would be nice to see them re-issue those turned in tags though. I'd say a month out cut off or maybe a smaller percentage as the date of the hunt approaches.

I'd like to see a week or 2 deadline before the season starts. When tags get turned in in trophy units the day before the season it certainly doesn't help point creep in the long run.

if there are refunds, I would like to see at least a month prior to the start of that season. I looked at Wyoming and Montana for compairisona and it appears that Colorado is way to nice. I like Wyomings no nonsense

Refunds, Cancellation of Licenses, or Unable to Use the License for Good Cause
Each applicant assumes an inherent risk when applying for a license to be used in the future. License fees are generally nonrefundable once a license has been issued and licenses are nontransferable. Please consider the risk when applying.

the only exception that I can see is getting a refund to a spouse in case of death, or service members called to duty.

I'm okay with partial refunds for certain situations and at min 2 weeks before season. Those certain situations are all medical related to the tag holder or first degree of relation. Points restored for only those situations as well. The rest are stuck with the tag. They can turn them in, but no refund and no points being returned.

Thanks Oak. Would a ballpark estimate of around 500 be close for NR big game?

35% of 9000 returned tags @ approx 500 ea.?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back