License refunds/reissuance

Thanks Oak. Would a ballpark estimate of around 500 be close for NR big game?

35% of 9000 returned tags @ approx 500 ea.?

That would be the right formula. Hard to say whether they are $615 bull licenses, $450 cow licenses or $370 deer licenses. You are probably close.

Cliff notes:

Must request refund or preference point restoration 30 days prior to the season.
$8 fee for refund or preference point restoration.
Returned licenses will be reissued via the leftover list. Preference points would not be used to purchase those licenses.

I like the proposal. I was filling out applications for me and my two daughters and put EF instead of EM on the first choice of one of my daughters apps and she drew a B tag with her first choice. It was nice to be able to repair my mistake. However, I believe that they should offer the tags to the next person on the first choice list, when applicable. In this situation, they should have to use their points. This would help a little with point creep.

I just listened to the audio of the September Commission meeting discussion on this topic. Given that there were no questions or concerns presented by any Commissioners, I'm guessing the proposal will pass with little fanfare in November without comment by the public now (emails to the Commission) on the topic. It seems like this would be a way to at least begin to address the issue of preference point creep by reissuing returned licenses to the next applicant in line, yet there is little discussion about that option.

I don't think reissuing every license like that is feasible, given that it takes a real person sitting on the phone and calling applicants when licenses are returned. However, they could use criteria to create a list of units to be reissued manually, such as what is used to determine 80/20 units, which would allow more licenses to be issued to high point applicants and would at least whittle away at the bank of preference points.

This proposal was just passed by the Commission with no changes and no discussion. If anyone sent emails expressing concern or suggesting changes, they were not brought up at the meeting.

FYI, it looks like CPW is proposing to revise the newly approved license refund/reissue policy to manually reissue returned licenses that require 10 or more resident points to draw to the next person on the draw list, who will subsequently lose their preference points if they accept the license. See the link above. The proposed text from this link:

Deer, elk, pronghorn, and bear hunt code licenses which required 10 or more resident preference points to draw as determined by the three-year average for the 2007, 2008, and 2009 limited license draw (hybrid draw), as well as bighorn sheep, mountain goat, moose, public Ranching for Wildlife antlered and either-sex deer and elk, and buck and either-sex pronghorn licenses returned for refund or preference point restoration will be reissued by the Division manually. If the next in line regular draw list applicant accepts one of the aforementioned first choice licenses that has been returned and reissued, all accumulated preference points for that species become void.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winchester 73
Back