Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Kaibab Muley Spike

Devil Diver Down

I'm not a guy who kills big mule deer. I've blown some opportunities over the years, but generally speaking, I see some toads on my scouting trips and then on opening morning the area becomes forky and tiny 3-point heaven.

This summer brought a surprise, when my dad and I drew Kaibab mule deer tags with very few points. We were hoping for the late hunt, but beggars cannot be choosers. He was already on a conditioning problem to raise his cardio proficiency, while hopefully shedding some pounds and lending relief to his knees - replaced twice on the passenger's and once on the driver's side - which limits his ability to hunt deep off roads. I was a 3-time a weeker at the gym and taking night walks with my GSP. Dreams of a really big buck were forming in my head.

Late summer brought a bad surprise - a cough I couldn't shake, along with 5 straight weeks without a day off work (isn't owning your own company just the best?!?) and by August had developed into a lung infection. My gym routine and night walks were choked out. Plans for a scouting trip at 8000 feet, snuffed.

My dad has been on hunts to the Kaibab since he was a little kid, but neither of us had hunted it for 30 years. Junior 88 and AZ402 provided some great intel to give us starting spots for our 1 pre-hunt scouting day in the unit. A member here referred to me as Gimpy - my lung condition improved to a temporary asthma condition, plus I have a sprained right wrist and smashed toe that made putting boots on a real joy. In any case, we pressed on through some beautiful country.

2014-10-22164232.jpg

2014-10-22164256.jpg

2014-10-22164204.jpg

Scouting through some of my dad's old haunts in the unit turned up some does, fawns and forkies. Areas mentioned by Junior88 and AZ402 turned up more of the same, but in greater numbers. My dad and I strategized our opening morning - he'd hunt draws near the road, while I'd pack a mile in to a pocket that had no roads if I could, inhaler close at hand. My doctor - and a sage member of this forum - warned me to take it easy, but what do doctors know about watching the sun rise in deer country?

Resting on the bench I targeted, I could see deer filtering across 20 minutes before shooting light, without a good idea about their gender or size. A flock of turkeys had dropped from their roosts - clucking and an occasional gobble rose from the draws below. As the morning grew, a group of 9 does and fawns, with a single fork-horn buck fed up a draw within 15 yards of my position. I could've killed him with a throwing knife if I'd wanted. Fawns were as close as 2 yards. I slipped my camera phone out to take a picture, but gloved hands prevented the touch screen from firing. After several minutes of watching this, a kid decked in orange and apparently unaware of this fine scene, came downhill toward us (from upwind, of course) and the deer scrambled past me, some at distances I could've reached out and touched.

In the late morning, I had a herd of about 12 or more deer almost trample me in their stampede to escape danger. I was surprised to see a decent 4x4 with does - and coming right at me - but since he wasn't quite what I was looking for on this hunt, he never got so much as a scope check. Pretty much any other hunt and he'd have gotten serious consideration.

There had been quite a bit of shooting in that area, but on the drive back to camp at 12:30 a nice 4x4 stepped into the road from a water hole. This was my dad's deer. But somehow even though the buck stopped about 30 yards off the road in the short jackpine, my dad couldn't manage a shot. This gift from the Deer Gods bounded away over a hill, with a bigger 4 leading the way and a monster buck in the middle - zero shots fired.

Day 2 had my dad hunting near that water hole and me dropping into a small canyon that runs west from it. A little after daybreak I caught movement to my right. Eyeballs told me it was a buck right away and binos showed him to be a young 4x4. Not quite the buck I was looking for, but I was hoping he had a partner. Watching him move, he had a severe limp - someone had shot him low on the rear right quarter the day before. I have zero love for coyotes and even less tolerance for animals suffering - even with such a primo tag in my pocket. I sent a 30.06 round through his chest and he dropped right there, but the buck's strong will kept him trying to get up. A round in the neck sent echoes rebounding off the canyon walls and ended my hunt 1.24 miles from my truck.

2014-10-25074510.jpg

Frankly, my gutless method breakdown of this buck needs a lot of work. It took way too long, with several stops to catch my breath. I hope to get that practice as soon as archery season begins in January. Hopefully the Draw Gods are kind and I can practice on an elk, when my fitness level is better. :D

2014-10-25103840.jpg

Rather than pack out to my truck, I elected to go straight uphill the half-mile to the road, drop my gear there and bring my truck closer. Two friendly G&F employees encouraging hunters to use non-lead ammo, saw my purple face and gave me a ride to my truck. They even offered to help me retrieve the rest of my buck, but I declined. Two trips and one tired guy. It's okay to work hard for something, even if you need some occasional help from a little 2 1/2 inch hero. No more than 6 uses per day? What do doctors know about hauling a mule deer out of small canyons?

2014-10-25103845.jpg

A gimpy guy shoots a gimpy buck. All hail, the Inhaler Buck! Not the buck I was dreaming of, but I know I couldn't sleep at night if I'd let him suffer.

2014-10-25130121.jpg

2014-10-25130545.jpg

And a little Sun Devil love... FORKS UP!!!

2014-10-29132649.jpg

Kudos! Having lived with asthma my whole life I know how handy that 2.5" hero can be at times. I don't always need it, but I always pack one as when I need it I often NEED it.

I would have done the same for your trophy deserved it to be finished quickly. Big thumbs up for your ethics!

Great hunt and great story. Congrats. I hope your health rebounds and next year have the stamina, tag, and luck, to haul a big bull out of a canyon.

Back