Judge orders Wisconsin DNR to start wolf hunt this month

10 breeding pairs and 100 animals for each the state ID, MT and WY.
That's represented the population to trigger a delisting, not to total population. They knew there would be more wolves in a sustainable population. This is the problem with many that pass along regurgitated info from lobo watch and other wolf hate groups. They don't average 200lbs either.

Sheer numbers would be my guess. Outnumbered, I'd guess that wolves run rather than fight.
But then what? They don’t climb trees like cats. What happens, they stand and fight until the hunters show up? Are the hounds mostly dead by then? At a couple grand a pop, that can’t be it. I don’t understand the strategy here. Are they kept on leads and their baying brings the wolves in?

Lion hunters go to great lengths to avoid wolves but somehow hounds are being used to hunt wolves. I’m trying to figure out the HOW.

But then what? They don’t climb trees like cats. What happens, they stand and fight until the hunters show up? Are the hounds mostly dead by then? At a couple grand a pop, that can’t be it. I don’t understand the strategy here. Are they kept on leads and their baying brings the wolves in?

Lion hunters go to great lengths to avoid wolves but somehow hounds are being used to hunt wolves. I’m trying to figure out the HOW.
Think of a deer drive. The dogs are the drivers. Run them one way out of a patch of cover and have shooters waiting on that end. Cell phones/radios and vehicles help get the shooters a head of the wolves if need be. At least that's how coyotes are hunted with hounds. AFAIK they are not baying them up,

Montana hunters whining about too many wolves and them killing all the elk off... while the elk population is over objective and the state wants even fewer elk. Kill all the wolves you want, you're not getting more elk... so what do hunters do? They buy two elk tags and hunt them 6 months out of the year... but reason elk hunting sucks is because of wolves...

I know they do. Good luck keeping wolf management with the states if you knock them down to 10 breeding pairs and 100 wolves in Montana.
Far from that number... too far. We've gone the extreme to mass excess in MT. Hopefully Wisconsin manages their numbers more effectively and maintains quotas relative to the actual #'s, not minimal count...

Hopefully Randy's public push may get Arby's to sell wolf burgers... Until it becomes a value - it will remain opportunistic. We said no to assisting trappers … Where's the bang for the buck? ;)

Montana hunters whining about too many wolves and them killing all the elk off... while the elk population is over objective and the state wants even fewer elk. Kill all the wolves you want, you're not getting more elk... so what do hunters do? They buy two elk tags and hunt them 6 months out of the year... but reason elk hunting sucks is because of wolves...

Some wildlife bios once told me that hunters are a pain in the ass to deal with.

For starters the objectives are non sense to begin with. With that said some units are nearly devoid of elk, others have low populations by historic standards and some are over objective.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back