Gray wolf population must be addressed Minnesota

https://apps.dnr.wi.gov/deermetrics/DeerStats.aspx?R=HarvestHistory Wisconsin deer harvest down almost 200k deer in last 20 yrs.

https://files.dnr.state.mn.us/wildl...st/deerharvest_2022.pdf?v=2023.09.19-15.50.20 Minnesota deer harvest down from 290k deer in 2003 to 145 k this year.

Update 11-29-23 as of this a.m. the total number of deer kill registered in Upper Peninsula of Michigan is at 14200 ,last years total was 23,000. We are currently at 62% of last years kill with 2 days left. Michigan has only had the last 2 yrs with mandatory registration.

https://apps.dnr.wi.gov/deermetrics/DeerStats.aspx?R=HarvestHistory Wisconsin deer harvest down almost 200k deer in last 20 yrs.

https://files.dnr.state.mn.us/wildl...st/deerharvest_2022.pdf?v=2023.09.19-15.50.20 Minnesota deer harvest down from 290k deer in 2003 to 145 k this year.

Update 11-29-23 as of this a.m. the total number of deer kill registered in Upper Peninsula of Michigan is at 14200 ,last years total was 23,000. We are currently at 62% of last years kill with 2 days left. Michigan has only had the last 2 yrs with mandatory registration.

Dan Wolfe KBJR 6 duluth tv station doing a special report thursday night​

Attachments

• duluth deer.jpg
    duluth deer.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 5
So for those less familiar with MN Deer/Moose/Wolf dynamics I threw this together quick.

1. I highlighted the area @Northwoods was referring to.
2. I hunt in the area near Longville in the area I labeled as expanding wolf range.
3. I highlighted the The Voyageur Wolf project area that was cited in the article @Ben Lamb linked; which I think is a good read.
4. I highlighted the primary moose range in MN where the MN DNR has been making deliberate efforts to reduce whitetail populations since the mid-2010s.

The wolf range in the NE is much different than the areas in the expanding areas. Prey-base, habitat, agriculture density, human density, etc. I also think that the we need to anticipate that wolves will have a different impact in areas where they are colonizing for the first time or their densities are filling in. Of the research I have read related to these topics most of it has focused in the areas of the NE, and I have found little on dynamics related to their expansion.

Wolf Map.JPG

So for those less familiar with MN Deer/Moose/Wolf dynamics I threw this together quick.

1. I highlighted the area @Northwoods was referring to.
2. I hunt in the area near Longville in the area I labeled as expanding wolf range.
3. I highlighted the The Voyageur Wolf project area that was cited in the article @Ben Lamb linked; which I think is a good read.
4. I highlighted the primary moose range in MN where the MN DNR has been making deliberate efforts to reduce whitetail populations since the mid-2010s.

The wolf range in the NE is much different than the areas in the expanding areas. Prey-base, habitat, agriculture density, human density, etc. I also think that the we need to anticipate that wolves will have a different impact in areas where they are colonizing for the first time or their densities are filling in. Of the research I have read related to these topics most of it has focused in the areas of the NE, and I have found little on dynamics related to their expansion.

View attachment 303847

It would be interesting to see what an overlay of winter severity and motorized trails looks like with this as well. Very cool!

I've been seeing plenty of trees cut in the places I frequent. And a bunch of widespread blow downs, not to mention fire and disease. There are many more grouse where I grew up now than then. And more deer as well, but not hugely so. Between my past and the present deer numbers shot way up - even though wolves were ubiquitously present.

Last winter's record snowfalls could not have been much help to deer, and probably set them back a good bit, even if they weren't winter killed, doe condition at the end of winter had to be terrible and so they looked on my trail cams a bit further south, last spring. They are fat now, however.

I suspect deer populations are actually pretty reasonable for the type of habitat in the north. Management is not all about growing targets. To be honest I don't think I've seen the Arrowhead look healthier (except for maybe the widespread spruce budworm).

Not a biologist, not a politician, but I do have a cabin in Northern MN (Chippewa NF)... and I did stay in a Holiday Inn express last night (for real). I spend a lot of time there. There are trips up north where I'll see more wolves than deer...

My disdain for politicians is not partisan, I hope you know that. Dems & GOP both get votes this way and it's the critters that suffer in the end, as do we - the beneficiaries and stakeholders (check that, @Big Fin) of the public trust.

100% onboard with hunting & trapping of wolves. Always have been there, and always will be. Wolves can handle a lot of pressure biologically, and they rebound quickly. The politics not withstanding - the issue of deer in MN is complex and while wolves absolutely play a role, the loss of secure wildlife habitat, diverse habitats and the increase in both summer & winterized use make it far easier for wolves to have an outsized impact. I've yet to see any actual studies that shows where wolves are the primary driver of a decline rather than causal due to poor habitats.

When we look at recreation impacts to deer, especially during parturition and rearing of fawns - then the disturbance from humans because even greater in terms of habitat avoidance and increased mortality. Happy to look at anything that would counter this, as always.

Wolves are cool. Active management is cooler. ;)
We do increase the effectiveness of wolf predation of deer by having roads, trails and logging. Studies show this but trying to minimize these presents another set of problems.

We yammer about hunter united fronts to oppose eco-enviros international funding operations to conduct:
A.) Legislative action such as city slicker blitz ballot box biology for predators such as cougars in Colorado (not the two legged version) and wolves in Colorado.
B.) Judicial strong arm tactics such as MI, MN, WI injunctions, WY fed lawsuit to stop hunting wolves along CO, WY border
C.) Executive directives... Let's be real, one political party constituent base promotes eco-enviro funding far greater than the other party.

A couple HT members allege hunters don't do squat for conservation... Yet:

A few HT over zealous chest thumpers counter intent to gain State management of our wildlife... Because federal does it better... Is apathetic.

Back