Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

It's paid off!

Sweet @Gr8bawana!

Larry Barkett and later Dave Ramsey would say to keep making truck payments (to your next car fund) so when the time comes, you are not taking a loan for the next truck......talking to myself here.
Or, half to that and half towards principle on home if not already owned outright.

Great job and congrats! However, that’s not very American of you. Your supposed to rack up as much debt as humanly possible and stretch your budget to its maximum... and then complain that you don’t make enough and demand freebies. I’m kidding of course. It’s refreshing to see some fiscal responsibility happening around here, well done.

Or, half to that and half towards principle on home if not already owned outright.
Cost me <$1k (annual property tax) to live here. One "Benjamin" a month covers that.

...but...

The cost of maintaining your home, painting, plumbing, electrical, water/wind/storm damage and minor repairs can sometimes quickly add up to way more than straight up "rent".
Problem is, if you're an attentive homeowner, you can stop those little antagonistic problems before they ever start.

I almost think I'd rather rent! LOL! 😉!

Great job and congrats! However, that’s not very American of you. Your supposed to rack up as much debt as humanly possible and stretch your budget to its maximum... and then complain that you don’t make enough and demand freebies. I’m kidding of course. It’s refreshing to see some fiscal responsibility happening around here, well done.
If you living anywhere in and around bozeman and dont already own a house. Your doing that regardless. Bought our house for 335,000 last year, This year the same house is selling for 430,000. :eek: Hard to consider a new vehicle when you have a mortgage payment for that haha. Stick with the 25% of your income rule and you will be ok Luckily that house is 23% of our income. THe problem comes when people stick to the 25 % rule with the brand new 60k f250 they bought and forgot about insurance .

Good deal. Ours are getting old but are paid for. Hope to save enough to pay cash for the next upgrade.
That is one thing about the '01 Cummins diesel.
A "long block" is $5k.
Pull motor, rebuild, reinstall another $5k.
Pull, rebuild and reinstall 6 speed manual transmission another $2k.
So for the paltry sum of +/- $12k, I'll have a pickup that's good for another near million miles for way less than any $60/$75k for a new diesel pickup....and I still won't need the DEF!

Reactions: JEL
That is one thing about the '01 Cummins diesel.
A "long block" is $5k.
Pull motor, rebuild, reinstall another $5k.
Pull, rebuild and reinstall 6 speed manual transmission another $2k.
So for the paltry sum of +/- $12k, I'll have a pickup that's good for another near million miles for way less than any $60/$75k for a new diesel pickup....and I still won't need the DEF!
I have an 08 Ford F-250 diesel. It will last me forever. Not sure about the wife’s car. Will probably replace in a couple years.

I have an 08 Ford F-250 diesel. It will last me forever. Not sure about the wife’s car. Will probably replace in a couple years.
Wish Ford had stayed with the little Perkins diesel.That was an awesome setup.
Chevy tried to get Cat to build them a pickup motor. Cat said, "No."!
Had a very knowledgeable diesel mechanic tell me there was no reason on God's green earth for an 8 cylinder diesel.

Really? i dont know anyone that has had good luck with their 6.4l diesel, thats good that yours is working pretty good. V10 in my 08 and its flawless. Thirsty, but flawless.

Aunt and uncle have 400k on there 6.4 never touched the motor the rest of the truck is pretty rough though
I have had no issues other than general maintenance and I did replace the radiator after it started leaking.

I have had no issues other than general maintenance and I did replace the radiator after it started leaking.
Wish I could say the same for my '01 Cummins, but it hasn't been bad.
At about 325K, factory oil seals died. Cost just under $5K to have that repaired. They have to almost pull the motor and almost do an overhaul to replace all the oil seals.
Firewall fuel pump went out. Replaced it with an "intank" fuel pump.
Oddly, at 400K miles, we're still on the original clutch, pressure plate and throw out bearing! 😜!
I'm waiting for that to go! 😖

Between repairs and serviceability, I think I'm still in the black "cost vs maintenance" wise.
We bought a brand spanking new '06 Dodge, 1-ton, dually 4 door. That think would run like a top! Got 23/24 mpg!
...when it was running!
When we got it paid off, it had depreciated to +/-$10k. Sold it for $5k and the bill for replacing the oil seals on the '01.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back