Input on rifle scopes

golfer

I am currently waiting to get my 257 weatherby back from getting a new barrel. I am looking to put a new scope on it. I currently have the Nikon prostaff 5 3.5-14 bdc and am not a fan of the reticle. I'm considering putting a leupold 4.5-14 with the Boone and Crockett or just plain duplex reticle. Or a vortex viper 6.5-20 with the hash marks. Input on either would be appreciated. I've never really gotten into the vortex hype as I've never really needed any of their products. TIA.

I have several Vortex optics after having several Luepold disasters. Being a veteran owned company, they take care of vets, very well. When I call I don't have to wait on hold for 20 mins like I have had to in the past. I think many of the optics companies are very even in terms of product, but what sets Vortex apart for me is the value they show me as a customer and treating me so well.

I have a Viper HST and really like it. You don't "need" the larger size (they make a smaller Viper) but its nice to have if you ever do. The ONLY bad thing I can say about it, is the maginifcation ring is way to tight when turning. I had to get the lever thing that goes over it to get it to move it easily.

i would stay away from Vortex if it was me. They do have a great warranty, but you WILL need it. They need to start including pre-paid shipping labels with all their products for the inevitable returns. I was run over by the Vortex hype train about 6 years ago and switched everything to Vortex. I had the Kaibab 15's, Razor 8x42's, Viper HD spotter, and a couple viper rifle scopes. that being said, i had to send every one of them back at least once for repairs and i ended up liquidating everything i owned with a Vortex logo on it. I now run Zeiss/Leica Bino's and spotters and Burris/Leupold rifle scopes and haven't looked back. You can generally pick up older, gently used high end optics for nearly the same price as new Vortex. I am planning on ordering a new VX3i 4.5-14x40 CDS on my new Winchester Model 70 Feathereight .264 win mag that should arrive on Monday. Leupold scopes are much lighter than almost all other brands as well

i would stay away from Vortex if it was me. They do have a great warranty, but you WILL need it. They need to start including pre-paid shipping labels with all their products for the inevitable returns. I was run over by the Vortex hype train about 6 years ago and switched everything to Vortex. I had the Kaibab 15's, Razor 8x42's, Viper HD spotter, and a couple viper rifle scopes. that being said, i had to send every one of them back at least once for repairs and i ended up liquidating everything i owned with a Vortex logo on it. I now run Zeiss/Leica Bino's and spotters and Burris/Leupold rifle scopes and haven't looked back. You can generally pick up older, gently used high end optics for nearly the same price as new Vortex. I am planning on ordering a new VX3i 4.5-14x40 CDS on my new Winchester Model 70 Feathereight .264 win mag that should arrive on Monday. Leupold scopes are much lighter than almost all other brands as well

You may be the first person I've ever heard this from. I have yet to hear anyone do anything but rave about Vortex. Knowing you can go better for more expensive, but I"ve never heard any complaining.

You may be the first person I've ever heard this from. I have yet to hear anyone do anything but rave about Vortex. Knowing you can go better for more expensive, but I"ve never heard any complaining.

You've not read much then 2ski, I've saw quite a bit of griping about their reliability. AZBridger is not the only one complaining.

You've not read much then 2ski, I've saw quite a bit of griping about their reliability. AZBridger is not the only one complaining.

Well count me on the other side, 6 optics, 4 years, zero issues.

I have gone the other way with optics. I am tired of variables and always being on the wrong power. You will never NEED anything over 10x for hunting. I have 6xs that are great to reasonable ranges of 600 and under (and some use them farther than that). The high magnifications are good sometimes on the range, but not necessary unless you are a bench-rester.

Leupold and Vortex are good scopes if you set and forget. If you are a turret twister, they have had a lot of failures. I, personally, have started switching over to the SWFA Super Sniper fixed-power scopes. I have two 6x that have been perfect as far as tracking and reliability. I just bought a 10x for my .260, to see how I would like the higher magnification. So far I like it and will kill some deer with it next week to test it. The SWFA scopes are a bit heavier, because they are built like a tank. That means more to me than the extra weight. If you are worried about a few ounces, then they are probably not a good choice.

If you are stuck on variables, then you may consider the SWFA HD 3x9. It is more expensive than the fixed-power scopes, but has a great reputation.

As far as the warranty on the Vortex, it is one of the best, BUT from everything that I have read about them over time, you will need it at some point. Not so much with Leupold, unless it is a turret spinner.

Just my observations.

I am currently waiting to get my 257 weatherby back from getting a new barrel. I am looking to put a new scope on it. I currently have the Nikon prostaff 5 3.5-14 bdc and am not a fan of the reticle. I'm considering putting a leupold 4.5-14 with the Boone and Crockett or just plain duplex reticle. Or a vortex viper 6.5-20 with the hash marks. Input on either would be appreciated. I've never really gotten into the vortex hype as I've never really needed any of their products. TIA.

Have a 4.4x14x40i Windplex CDS on a Kimber 300 Win Mag..simple range-twist-squeeze....does what it's supposed to do.

I have the VX3 4.5x14 on a .338 WM and love it. Some folks have complained about eye relief, but I've not noticed an issue with it, and I'm pretty sensitive to the issue. Can't comment on the Vortex beyond what I have which is a Crossfire 6.5x24x50, which is on a 22-250. It has a lot of chromatic abberation and not very clear out beyond 300 yards. It's fine for target shooting, but would not be a good scope for hunting, IMO. I also have their Viper HD spotter in 15-45 and like it a lot.

I'm purchasing a scope for my niece this winter, and the Viper HST is in the line up based on reviews, but I'll probably get her a VX3i based on my personal experience with Leupold. I trust the name, the company and the products.

I agree, I have 2 Vortex riflescopes, a rangefinder, and a set of binos and have never had an issue. Vortex-bashing is getting old, I think repairs are far more rare than folks here will admit. Leupold makes good stuff too, if you look around you'll see people returning their stuff for warranty repairs once in a while as well. I love my Leupold spotting scope, fyi...

initially i liked the Vortex products, but like i said they let me down time and time again. i hunt more than most and harder than most which causes a lot of items to fail. maybe i just have unreasonable expectations. Here is a list of my issues i have personally had with vortex

I mounted a brand new vortex viper pst 4-16x50 on a rifle a couple months ago because i needed a scope fast for a hunt because my burris got crushed when my horse fell into a boulder this year, and a friend had this one sitting in his safe. After the first shot, a bunch of debris that was inside the scope blew up onto the lenses inside, rendering it pretty much useless. My buddy who owned the scope sent it in for repair. haven't heard how it came back yet.

Sent my Kaibabs in for repair because they fogged internally and the lenses were in pretty bad shape after 5 or so years of use and abuse. When i got them back, the pair i got was not mine (wrong serial number on the body) which wasn't too big of a deal but when i looked through them they made me feel cross eyed and got an immediate headache and they just weren't crisp anymore. something wasn't aligned right. sent them in again and got a different refurbished pair again, which i promptly sold

Sent my Razor 8x42's in (loved these binos) for new lenses/cleaning etc. after a few tough years. got them back and there was what looked like black grease smeared internally on the prism. sent them in again and they were repaired and promptly sold as well

Sent in a vortex viper rifle scope because it would not track. it was on an extremely accurate rifle and one click would sometimes move POI at 100 yards 1-2" and sometimes you could turn it 10 clicks and it wouldn't move. swapped the scope to make sure it wasn't operator or ring/base/rifle failure and it definitely was not. scope replaced with a new one and Sold as well.

Didn't really have any issues with viper hd spotter, other than finding a great deal on a zeiss and having a real sour taste in my mouth from vortex. sold it as well.

This being said, their customer service was always top notch and never waited more than a couple weeks to get my products back from repair. I might have just had a terrible stroke of luck with them, but i doubt this is an isolated incident.

I am really surprised at how many Vortex Items you have had trouble with. I have hunted with Vortex rifle scopes, bino's, spotting scopes and range finders with NO problems at all. I hunt all seasons from Maine to Montana and I live in Pa. They don't call you LUCKY by any chance.

I think Vortex is more feature rich at the same price point than Leupold and I've been really happy with my HST, HS and rangefinder. Leupold makes a great product, but they don't have a lifetime warranty on their products under a certain price point. Leupold doesn't offer 30mm tube scopes at a lower price point like Vortex does. It will be interesting to see the Gen2 Vortex PST family as the specs point towards a scope that's heavier with a higher cost and a less impressive spec sheet leading me to believe that mechanical parts are more robust.

I think you have to evaluate each optic at a given price point in person. I personally do not like the vortex diamondback scopes and I ended up with a Leupold spotter instead of a Vortex because I didn't like the Vortex glass and build at a given price point. I currently run Nikon binoculars, a Leupold Spotting scope, a Vortex rangfinder and a Vortex HS/HST rifle scope so I'm not particularly brand biased. I think the Vortex HS 2.5-10x44 is one of the best hunting rifle scopes on the market right now for the money. I think there are a lot of great pieces of glass for $200-500 on the market that are 95% as good as Swarovski/Nightforce for most people.

Keep in mind in full disclosure this board is sponsored by Leupold and Leupold dealers so they are gonna lean that way if products are comparable. That's fine with me, they are a good company but as a consumer they may not have the best product for you in every category and every price point.

I put a 4.5-14x40mm Leupold VX3 with the B&C reticle on my .280 AI I had built. Took a cow elk at 450 yards with one shot and a week later shot a little 4 pt whitetail buck at about 200 yards, one shot. I really like that scope and reticle. For me personally I don't like dialing on the CDS scopes. Another excellent scope to check out would be the Zeiss Conquest with the Z600 reticle. Also an excellent scope.

If you go Leupold, get the parallax adjust model. The parallax on the other 4.5-14 models is horrible.

If you go Leupold, get the parallax adjust model. The parallax on the other 4.5-14 models is horrible.

I'll second that. Overall I'd go Leupold, Zeiss or Swaro depending on your budget.

IMO you get what you pay for with optics so get the best you can afford. Leupold customer service is great if you ever need it. I haven't in over 20 years but my brother has b/c he destroys EVERYTHING he touches. Leupold is a big supporter of HT and makes great optics so there you go.

Magnification is fine I think. Only thing I have so far on the Prostaff 5 for complaints is I hate the circles of Nikon BDC. If
Golfer how's the magnification treating you? I was looking at the Nikon Prostaff 7 in either 3-12x42 or 4-16x50.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back