High-End Rifle Scope Discussion

badkarma6

I am going to buy a high-end rifle scope to put on a Springfield Waypoint 2020 rifle that I have. I would like a scope with a magnification range of somehwere around 5-25x. I intend to hunt with these scopes, I don't shoot competition rifle. I'm am considering the following scopes with an MOA reticle:
  1. Trijicon Tenmile HX 5-25x50
  2. Zeiss Conquest V6 5-30x50
  3. Steiner T6Xi 5-30x56 MSR2
  4. Vortex Razor HD LHT 4.5-22x50
  5. Leupold VX-6HD 4-24x52
  6. Leupold Mark 5HD 5-25x56
Anything here to really stay away from? Anyone with experience with both a VX-6 and Mark 5 that can tell me which is better?

Why is Nightforce not listed? Because Nightforce offers a crappy military discount. The brands you see above offer somewhere between 30-50% off and that makes these scopes much more affordable.

Currently, I have Zeiss, Vortes and Leupold scopes. Good experiences with all of them. I've been using Leupold scopes since I began hunting but it is difficult finding the scope I want in stock.

Thanks in advance for any feedback and personal experiences with any of these scopes.

I'd suggest if this is for hunting to drop back in magnification significantly. Having something in 2.5x or 3x on the low end will be beneficial in both low light situations and close range stuff. Think dark timber elk where a shot may be only 50 yards...finding an elk at 5x will be harder than 3x especially if it's fast. Very rarely will you need much more than 10X (some will argue 6x is max) for hunting even long range. Also some of those scopes are massive in length and weight. Definitely something to consider when carrying for hunting.

Are you wanting FFP or SFP? You have a mix of them in the pile
Weight? You have some heavy and light scopes...The springfield isn't necessarily a light rifle but adding a 35oz scope adds up

So in standard internet forum fashion, I'd say NONE of them for hunting. I'd consider something in 2.5-15, 3-12, 3-15, 3-18, 3.5-10, 4-12, 4-16.

Last edited:
I'd suggest if this is for hunting to drop back in magnification significantly. Having something in 2.5x or 3x on the low end will be beneficial in both low light situations and close range stuff. Think dark timber elk where a shot may be only 50 yards...finding an elk at 5x will be harder than 3x especially if it's fast. Very rarely will you need much more than 10X (some will argue 6x is max) for hunting even long range. Also some of those scopes are massive in length and weight. Definitely something to consider when carrying for hunting.

Are you wanting FFP or SFP? You have a mix of them in the pile
Weight? You have some heavy and light scopes...The springfield isn't necessarily a light rifle but adding a 35oz scope adds up
MIL or MOA? You have a mix in there too though it looks like you're leaning MOA

So in standard internet forum fashion, I'd say NONE of them for hunting. I'd consider something in 2.5-15, 3-12, 3-15, 3-18, 3.5-10, 4-12, 4-16.
I've always wondered why guys choose scopes with such high magnification and large objectives for a hunting rifle. mtmuley

I recently got an Athlon Ares 2.5-15x50.

Super clear glass, first focal plane, illuminated reticle.

I switched away from a 5-20x50. 5x on the low end wasn't low enough. If you're not punching steel at 1000 - 2000 yards there really isn't a need for a 20 or 25x scope.

I will never buy another 50mm or 56mm objective scope. With HD glass you don't need huge objectives for low-light performance, and you don't need to mount the scope so high.
Here in the North Idaho jungle it's < 3x max for the low magnification setting. A big belled, high minimum scope here will cost you animals fussing around trying to get the right cheek weld in the eye box and then the animal in the scope.

My go to right now is a 2-10x42 Zeiss Conquest HD5. I mount that rifle with my eyes closed and when I open my right eye the sight picture is prefect every time.
My next scope will be a VX6-HD or VX5-HD for weight and FOV considerations.

OP said unsatisfactory military discount in his post. mtmuley
I found that odd since they tout their military use on their website. That sent me down a rabbit hole.

NF offers both direct sales to Gov/Mil/LE and an individual discount program which you have apply for via their website. They show various valid proof of service docs. They do not want DD214's due to legal/privacy ramifications.

In trying to find the actually AMOUNT of the discount, I found a lot of posts from individuals saying they had to sign an NDA about the discount rate. Or that the application becomes an NDA if its approved.

If I were you, picking a high dollar hubble telescope to mount on a rifle with a shifty reticle, I'd buy one each of all them, sell them for a profit, and buy one that may not offer you the discount but would be a far better choice for hunting.

If I were you, picking a high dollar hubble telescope to mount on a rifle with a shifty reticle, I'd buy one each of all them, sell them for a profit, and buy one that may not offer you the discount but would be a far better choice for hunting.
A High-end scope list without Nightforce but has Vortex is asinine!

Suppose he'll also probably have a 4" sunshade on it.

But usually they're the same guys who put 12" lifts and tires that stick a foot outside the fenders but never leave the pavement.

I only have a Vortex and it's likely to be for sale soon. 💩

If a high-end scope for hunting takes into consideration glass quality, durability, light weight, tracking, simplicity, and useable/functional reticle and NOT budget - the best scope for hunting is likely a Schmidt & Bender PMii 10X42 w/ P3 reticle.

Anything here to really stay away from? Anyone with experience with both a VX-6 and Mark 5 that can tell me which is better?

They are different design intents.

One is a lightweight second focal plane hunting scope that has an exposed turret to sell the CDS idea to people wanting to buy a solution without learning how ballistics work.
One has FFP for people who want to be able to use the reticle easily at all magnifications, nicer turrets, and more travel for people who shoot a long ways.

Of your list, trijicon tenmile or credo at a lower magnification range is where I'd look.

I also recommend you lower the magnification and go with The VX6HD 2-12x42mm. I bought two of these before they came out with HD and really like them. Killed elk out to 400 yards without ever wishing I had more magnification.

Go with the Mark5HD but I would drop down to the 3-18X44
Listen to this guy.
I only have a Vortex and it's likely to be for sale soon. 💩

If a high-end scope for hunting takes into consideration glass quality, durability, light weight, tracking, simplicity, and useable/functional reticle and NOT budget - the best scope for hunting is likely a Schmidt & Bender PMii 10X42 w/ P3 reticle.
...and this guy.
They are different design intents.

One is a lightweight second focal plane hunting scope that has an exposed turret to sell the CDS idea to people wanting to buy a solution without learning how ballistics work.
One is a little heavier, has FFP for people who want to be able to use the reticle easily at all magnifications, nicer turrets, and more travel for people who shoot a long ways.
...and absolutely this one.
A High-end scope list without Nightforce but has Vortex is asinine!

Suppose he'll also probably have a 4" sunshade on it.

But usually they're the same guys who put 12" lifts and tires that stick a foot outside the fenders but never leave the pavement.
Ignore this one.

Doesn't Rokslide have a thread just for, "FS- I only used it once"

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sea Rover
Back