Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

High-End Rifle Scope Discussion

Army’s new rifle, the M7, has a Vortex system on top. If it’s shit, we’ll find quick once it starts getting fielded.
I'm not familiar with the selection process the Govt uses, but is this choice in optics based on a contract which was awarded by "lowest bid", or did the selection process include extensive testing of several comparable optics by people that are knowledgeable in the field? I'm sure when the search was started, a list of basic requirements was listed before any scopes were submitted to the testers. I would hope the contract wasn't awarded based on price alone.

Like the Razor line, the glass is made in the USA, AFAIK, the only glass made here, so I suspect that played a role. And note that the Razor line cost is on a par with Nightforce.

I have no experience with it, but I suspect it's a different animal than the Chinese junk that makes up their lower end, hence the inclusion on the OP's list. Even on a long range site where folks offer burnt sacrifices to NF the Razor is spoken of favorably.

Last edited:
I am going to buy a high-end rifle scope to put on a Springfield Waypoint 2020 rifle that I have. I would like a scope with a magnification range of somehwere around 5-25x. I intend to hunt with these scopes, I don't shoot competition rifle. I'm am considering the following scopes with an MOA reticle:
  1. Trijicon Tenmile HX 5-25x50
  2. Zeiss Conquest V6 5-30x50
  3. Steiner T6Xi 5-30x56 MSR2
  4. Vortex Razor HD LHT 4.5-22x50
  5. Leupold VX-6HD 4-24x52
  6. Leupold Mark 5HD 5-25x56
Anything here to really stay away from? Anyone with experience with both a VX-6 and Mark 5 that can tell me which is better?

Why is Nightforce not listed? Because Nightforce offers a crappy military discount. The brands you see above offer somewhere between 30-50% off and that makes these scopes much more affordable.

Currently, I have Zeiss, Vortes and Leupold scopes. Good experiences with all of them. I've been using Leupold scopes since I began hunting but it is difficult finding the scope I want in stock.

Thanks in advance for any feedback and personal experiences with any of these scopes.
Vortex is junk!!! Stick with any other one that you mentioned.

Just get a Leupold VX5HD 3-15x44 and go kill something. Forget all the rest.

But if you don’t get it from @schmalts, that’s on you.

I have one of those with Firedot on my SS Super Grade .264 Win mag...love that scope! I also have a Leupold VX-5HD 3-15x56 Firedot on my .257 Wby mag...that will be the rifle that I carry on November 15th...Michigan's Firearm Opener.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Giddyup64
Back