Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Can't Take It.

thomas89

Well. That's all she wrote. Broke out the .270 1500 topped with a Vortex Diamondback HP 4-16 which has been sitting in the safe while we lived in Washington (save for a trip as a back up rifle to Wyoming ... which did see it get some use). Anyways, got my new Stocky's stock VG2 mounted up, and have been enjoying shooting it in preparation for the season.

Save for this annoying little squiggle in the optic, things have been going fine. I don't know that I have noticed it before, or if I did I just kind of didn't pay any attention to it. Super hard to explain so I attached a photo, worse at lower magnifications, noticeable as heck against a clean white target. Anyways, finally got irritated enough to call Vortex about it. After confirming that, no the scope was not mounted improperly, it's not just some Schmutz on the lens, it's most likely finishing marks, or lack there of, of any actual finishing. They even floated the idea that the windage or elevation was cranked so hard one way it was messing it up. Can't blame them, I'm sure they've seen some crazy stuff. Starting the return process tomorrow.

At this point this will be the second time this scope has gone in for service, over the course of I think 6 years. First time in it cost me from late September/early October to around late November to get back for a loose lens. This time they are saying turn around is two weeks.

Long story short, I've ordered a VX3HD 4.5-14 with the CDS-ZL windplex reticle and side focus and all that jazz. I've been looking at them, they never seem to be in stock, but when I looked today they had them, so I took it as a sign to pull the trigger.

Attachments

• 292934401_366356698956639_1321620755177174100_n.jpg
    292934401_366356698956639_1321620755177174100_n.jpg
    8.8 KB · Views: 83
Well. That's all she wrote. Broke out the .270 1500 topped with a Vortex Diamondback HP 4-16 which has been sitting in the safe while we lived in Washington (save for a trip as a back up rifle to Wyoming ... which did see it get some use). Anyways, got my new Stocky's stock VG2 mounted up, and have been enjoying shooting it in preparation for the season.

Save for this annoying little squiggle in the optic, things have been going fine. I don't know that I have noticed it before, or if I did I just kind of didn't pay any attention to it. Super hard to explain so I attached a photo, worse at lower magnifications, noticeable as heck against a clean white target. Anyways, finally got irritated enough to call Vortex about it. After confirming that, no the scope was not mounted improperly, it's not just some Schmutz on the lens, it's most likely finishing marks, or lack there of, of any actual finishing. They even floated the idea that the windage or elevation was cranked so hard one way it was messing it up. Can't blame them, I'm sure they've seen some crazy stuff. Starting the return process tomorrow.

At this point this will be the second time this scope has gone in for service, over the course of I think 6 years. First time in it cost me from late September/early October to around late November to get back for a loose lens. This time they are saying turn around is two weeks.

Long story short, I've ordered a VX3HD 4.5-14 with the CDS-ZL windplex reticle and side focus and all that jazz. I've been looking at them, they never seem to be in stock, but when I looked today they had them, so I took it as a sign to pull the trigger.
Hope you ordered from Schmaltz.

Ordering from Pat (@ schmalts ) saves significant dough. Seriously, it's not even close when you factor site good will.
To be honest I completely forgot to check @schmalts for a price from him. I qualify for Leupold's pro deal or whatever so I was just keeping an eye on Leupold's site for stock. I doubt this will be my last Leupold purchase so I'll have to make a better mental note.

Something to be said for us Wisconsin boys sticking together, too.

How do you like that VG2 stock? I’ve been looking at one.
Really enjoying it. Tames the recoil a great deal more than I was anticipating. Was expecting a bit of a learning curve with the different hand position compared to a normal rifle stock, but it was really quite natural to get used to it. Lots of groups sub-MOA and I did not do any kind of bedding job on it. Finish seems very tough/durable. All in all, pretty glad I bought one. Vast improvement to the Hogue that came with it.

Every single optic that i have bought from Vortex except for one pair of binoculars has been in for some sort of repair. Including my tripod. I will not buy any more optics from them.

This is all over all kinds of newsgroups. Meateater keeps Vortex alive. Just don't.
I had a friend that had a binocular from them. Broke in the middle. Replaced promptly. He loves them.

I have a Leitz Wetzlar, made in West Germany in the 50's; had it rebuilt last year for less than the price of a Vortex. Superb.

I bought binoculars from them and they suck. Not broken just crap quality. I called them and their reply was that I should have borrowed a pair from someone and checked them out before I bought them. I chucked in a closet somewhere. I have several of the scopes and they are minimally functional.

This is all over all kinds of newsgroups. Meateater keeps Vortex alive. Just don't.
I had a friend that had a binocular from them. Broke in the middle. Replaced promptly. He loves them.

I have a Leitz Wetzlar, made in West Germany in the 50's; had it rebuilt last year for less than the price of a Vortex. Superb.
West Germans made the best mil surp!

I just have no idea how a company like Meateater relies on a company like Vortex for their optics. I'm sure they are running their top of the line products that admittedly I've never used, but why would I want to try? I trust my Bushnell rangefinder more than I trust my Vortex scope.

I do have a pair of Vortex binoculars that seems to just keep ticking right along, no issues there.

It's just funny that their number one selling point is the warranty. They have got to know that they are just peddling junk at this point. No clue what I'll do with this stupid scope when I get it back, at this point I'd probably take a trade in the form of fun house tokens or something.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back