Rifle Brand for 7mm Rem Mag

WVmike

I currently have a Weatherby Vanguard 26' 7mm Rem Mag. I'm thinking about trading it next year when I get a bonus from work and I have already dedicated alot of time and development in loads to go completely away from 7mm Rem Mag. I've never bought myself a super nice rifle that I could use for anything. I already have a .308 in Rem 700 that I am putting new glass, stock and trigger on this year. The only thing I'd switch to, would be 7mm PRC but was looking for anyone's input as to what rifle they would pick up in 7mm Rem Mag. I would be trading it on whatever I would be getting. I have put a HS precision stock and timney trigger on it since I've owned it. Ballpark price range for the new rifle would be $2,000 and less. I have handled a Christensen Arms Ridgeline in 300 prc and they are nice rifles along with a couple of Bergaras. Any input would be appreciated.

Last edited:
Just my experience, if you have some money in upgrades you may get more out of it trying to out right sell your rifle then go buy whatever you want.

You listed a couple of nice options and you chose a cartridge that you can get in pretty much anything. You could stick with the brand you have and might like the short throw on a weatherby mark v. I wouldn’t hesitate at the new 700’s coming out (so many options for customization later), Model 70’s, X bolts. The tikkas will also inevitably come up but I don’t want a super light rifle in a magnum chambering.

It would push your budget a little bit but shopping lightly used you might also like the Seekins. Since you’re hand loading they come with a faster twist and you could mess with some of the newer bullet options

My dad got a Tikka T3 stainless a couple years ago. It shoots all the ammo I've run through it under 3/4 MOA. It's a hell of a shooter. If it was mine, I would change the stock, otherwise, it's a pretty nice rifle. My dad had a muzzle brake put on and it's like shooting a .243 now.

Both Christensen and Bergara make great rifles. I just don't have experience owning/shooting either!

I've never dealt with a Tikka, heard good things but never myself. I don't like that they off even magnum calibers in a 26' barrel.

Remington 700 BDL. I had my gone through by Mr. Van Franke. He tried the action, new muzzle brake, trigger tech trigger and built a load with 168 Berger’s. It’s shooting 4” groups at 850 yards. I will never shoot it that far at game, but it is very capable in the right hands.

Just my experience, if you have some money in upgrades you may get more out of it trying to out right sell your rifle then go buy whatever you want.

You listed a couple of nice options and you chose a cartridge that you can get in pretty much anything. You could stick with the brand you have and might like the short throw on a weatherby mark v. I wouldn’t hesitate at the new 700’s coming out (so many options for customization later), Model 70’s, X bolts. The tikkas will also inevitably come up but I don’t want a super light rifle in a magnum chambering.

It would push your budget a little bit but shopping lightly used you might also like the Seekins. Since you’re hand loading they come with a faster twist and you could mess with some of the newer bullet options
New 700s? Have I been living under a rock? I like model 70s as well. I have a .264 win mag in a model 70 but they discontinue models so often, you find a model you like then they stop making them.

New 700s? Have I been living under a rock?
Remington went bankrupt and the name Remington (the website) went with the ammo company side. A new Remington Arms (aka RemArms) was formed and now makes the guns like the 870, 700, etc. They started rolling out shotguns and rifles in 2022 but I haven't seen one in person.

Last edited:
1) I would give Remington 700s at LEAST a couple of more model years (this is the first back from bankruptcy due to HORRIBLE QC) before I would even consider any of their products.

2) Tikkas (I have a Roughtech in 300WM- Simo) are great value and really solid rifles.

3) At +- 1850 you can get a Seekins PH2 and you will be thrilled. I am currently waiting on mine in Manbun and hooked @Redman up with a 7mm last fall. In our shop we have Proof, Cooper, Weatherby, Christensen and Seekins in the premium rifle lines and Seekins is by far my favorite. Both for performance and support from the factory folks in Idaho. Their guarantee on accuracy/quality/and breakage-damage is 100% total. Nobody else comes close to that. At least 90% of the sales in our shop (who get to shoot all of the mentioned rifles) have at least 1 Seekins.

Remington went bankrupt and the name Remington (the website) went with the ammo company side. A new Remington Arms (aka RemArms) was formed and now makes the guns like the 870, 700, etc. They started rolling out shotguns and rifles in 2022 but I haven't seen one in person.
I knew they had went bankrupt and there was a pause in production but didn't know they were producing firearms again.

1) I would give Remington 700s at LEAST a couple of more model years (this is the first back from bankruptcy due to HORRIBLE QC) before I would even consider any of their products.

2) Tikkas (I have a Roughtech in 300WM- Simo) are great value and really solid rifles.

3) At +- 1850 you can get a Seekins PH2 and you will be thrilled. I am currently waiting on mine in Manbun and hooked @Redman up with a 7mm last fall. In our shop we have Proof, Cooper, Weatherby, Christensen and Seekins in the premium rifle lines and Seekins is by far my favorite. Both for performance and support from the factory folks in Idaho. Their guarantee on accuracy/quality/and breakage-damage is 100% total. Nobody else comes close to that. At least 90% of the sales in our shop (who get to shoot all of the mentioned rifles) have at least 1 Seekins.
I have never handled a Seekins but I have heard good things like with the Tikka. I originally paid almost $800 for the weatherby so I would imagine if I put a upgraded stock, timney trigger and send it down the road with the scope on it, I should at least get $5-600 on it I would hope. Then I would have a bit over $1,000 left. What's the availability of the Seekins usually?

Last edited:

Are any of the Seekins available with standard bottom metal? Those mags are about the only complaint I’d have glancing at them. Hopefully a local shop will get one in eventually…

I had a Christensen in 300 win mag for several years. Loved the gun. No complaints.

Bergaras seem pretty heavy and I don't particularly like the stocks.

I really dislike the stock on CA ridgelines. There is a bunch of flex in the fore-end and they might as well have not put a grip on it as far away from the trigger as it is.

I'm a fan of tikkas but in 7RM a hand loader is going to be limited by COAL and slow twist rates in a tikka. Tikka stocks are pretty stiff as well but the grip needs some modification for me to be happy. More reliable and generally slicker action setup than m700 clones (Christensen, bergara, seekins). If they chamber a rifle in 7PRC this would be my choice.

Seekins - did a fantastic job on the stock (minus being a little short in LOP without easily inserted adapters). It has a grip that actually supports your firing hand and puts it in position to make good trigger presses. Will not limit your COAL for longer bullets in handloads. Somewhat heavy in PH2 configuration. I personally had poor accuracy with 2 300wm barrels but that was at least a couple years ago but i've not seen recent negative reports like were somewhat common with PH1's. Action is pretty heavy and 4 lugs seems overkill. That said, i paid to put an aftermarket barrel on mine rather than send it back for round 3. If going 7RM, this is the direction i'd probably go out of the 4 mentioned.

Savage - I think they do a pretty good job with stock ergos and a lot of them shoot well but I'll never settle for their rough janky actions. Seen some that have extraction/ejection issues and that is a known issue if you google. Saw a guy show up with one for a precision rifle class that had rattling loose pic rail and short head spacing that wouldn't chamber factory ammo. This sent the instructor into a rant about all the jacked up savages he sees.

Browning x-bolt - I've got a handful of custom rifles but find myself carrying a basic 300 wsm xbolt stainless stalker more than any other rifle. The thing shoots fantastic, is light and short enough to be nice to carry, and the stock fits me well for a sporter stock. Trigger is kind of mediocre and sloppy feeling. I dont like how thin the receiver is where the scope bases mount, they are prone to stripping threads there. I don't recommend these much but mine sure works well. For doing a lot of walking and holding the rifle, having the bottom metal flush like on the xbolts is nice.

Last edited:
I have an out of the box New Haven vintage Model 70 Classic Stainless in 7mm RM that shoots lights out with almost everything I feed it. It has become my go-to rifle.

Are any of the Seekins available with standard bottom metal? Those mags are about the only complaint I’d have glancing at them. Hopefully a local shop will get one in eventually…

What do you mean by standard bottom metal? BDL? I think they only offer their own DBM bottom metal to work with AICS pattern or their own carbon mags.

I fondled one of the new HIT models in scheels last week. Action felt gummy as hell but I'd guess it's just from a bunch of shipping grease that needs to come off it. Something to consider if you play with one of the bolts and it feels off.

What do you mean by standard bottom metal? BDL? I think they only offer their own DBM bottom metal to work with AICS pattern or their own carbon mags.

I fondled one of the new HIT models in scheels last week. Action felt gummy as hell but I'd guess it's just from a bunch of shipping grease that needs to come off it. Something to consider if you play with one of the bolts and it feels off.
Yea, I prefer just the bdl style bottom metal if I have a choice on a hunting rifle.

I seen a new 700 bdl in 243 about 3 weeks ago. I have a pre bankruptcy 222 and 30-06 in the bdl. I would really like another.

I have never handled a Seekins but I have heard good things like with the Tikka. I originally paid almost $800 for the weatherby so I would imagine if I put a upgraded stock, timney trigger and send it down the road with the scope on it, I should at least get $5-600 on it I would hope. Then I would have a bit over $1,000 left. What's the availability of the Seekins usually?
We have them steadily. If you are near a Scheels they should be the same as our shop.

No bottom metal, all mags. Depending on caliber they are either Seekins own sweet carbon fiber mags or PMAGS. My Manbun will be a PMAG while the PRC gets the cf.

As for the bolt mention, they do come coated and need a good clean and lube.....then end up slick as snot ;)

Back