Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

In Defense of Mountain House -- a Treatise

• Thread starter Deleted member 16014
  • Start date
You couldn't pay me to eat anything from Heather's Choice. Early on in her production, I was vocal about how awful it was in a comment of some random person on a hunting group and she proceeded to find me, message me, and act like a 4 year old. I'm certain someone starving would eat it but they wouldn't be happy

I pickup a big can of the chicken and rice every few months to tuck away for the earthquake kit and go bag. They’re good until 2050ish, so might well need to use them before then…allegedly it’s coming any day now?

Mountain house was cheap, and you know what always tasted good? MH Beef Stroganoff and MH Lasagna. Guess what still tastes good...MH Beef Stroganoff and MH Lasagna.
The lasagna is probably my favorite, followed by the stroganoff. I've been known on many occasions to get home late from work and get me a MH Lasagna and 'cook' it for supper. In fact I just got in from onion harvest for the night..... 😋

You couldn't pay me to eat anything from Heather's Choice. Early on in her production, I was vocal about how awful it was in a comment of some random person on a hunting group and she proceeded to find me, message me, and act like a 4 year old. I'm certain someone starving would eat it but they wouldn't be happy
I couldn't believe how spicy her stuff is, and not really in a good way. Last thing I needed in the back country.
MH has the cardboard quotient.
Peak has been most consistent for me

As a foodie, I’d rather starve than eat any of this crap. I pack in nuts, granola bars, jerky - but none of this meal-in-a-bag nonsense. Ziplock pizza sounds better - need to try that. Calories schmalories. I need to drop a few lbs anyway 🤷‍♂️. Fasting = Focus. Give it a try.
The biggest foodie on here is @jryoung and I'll bank a paycheck he doesn't snob it up so bad he won't enjoy a little mh from time to time

Last edited:
I love MH. Period. Never understood why one wouldn’t. I came into base camp this year and found a bunch of weird-ass Chad Mendez Bison Mashers and other crap. most annoying thing was that called For water amounts like “1 1/3 cups”. How does that work? Times have changed but in the old days MH all required 2 cups. Period. 1/2 nalgene. Sweet and sour Pork, lasagna, the always delicious chili-mac, and the nolonger produced Seafood Chowder. It was amazing.
On sheep hunts we used to add 1/2 stick of butter to get the calories up.

Anyone else totally okay with the eggs in the breakfast ones still being a little crunchy and not fully rehydrated or am I weird
I like all the varieties that way—a little crunch among the salt goo.

MH stroganoff is my all-time favorite, but it also gives me radioactive gas. I once spent an evening being forced by my wife (by threat of punishment of death or dismemberment) to hang my ass outside of the tent every time I had to fart. One of the hardest I’ve ever laughed. Thanks MH Beef Stroganoff, I love you.

Love MH. I ate some MT grilled burger patties and potatoes/gravy a couple weeks ago. Yeah that's right I said burger patties... They haven't made those bad boys since about 2004. It tasted just as good as the one I ate a week before of the same vintage. The expiration date was 2014. I checked and they expanded all expiration dates from 10 to 35 years. I like to live dangerously.

If you haven't tried the new buffalo Mac and cheese, you should. The new chicken linguine is pretty good with a ton of cals per oz.

There are higher quality options sure; but hell if I don't love a Blue Ribbon and a Backwoods to celebrate a good hunt, and hell if I don't love a hot Mountain House.

people better not be overlooking this beautiful sentence.

i thought i might be the only 30+ year old on the planet that on occasion has a bag of backwoods stuffed in the middle console of my truck.

Best MH of all time is the turkey dinner casserole. Had it once, now can't seem to find it anywhere. Absolutely delectable. Chicken and dumplings a close second.

Also you can get a variety pack at Costco for $75. Some breakfasts, some dinners, some granolas.

Mountain house chili mac, biscuits and gravy, and breakfast scramble are undefeated. You don’t mess with success.
Peak Breakfast Skillet or Biscuits and Gravy don't come anywhere close to the MH.

However, Peak gets the win in amount of H2O required to rehydrate.

Last edited:
people better not be overlooking this beautiful sentence.

i thought i might be the only 30+ year old on the planet that on occasion has a bag of backwoods stuffed in the middle console of my truck.
I must be in the dark. Backwoods is a good brewery around here. I was wondering how Snowy got his hands on some

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Killcarp2
Back