Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

In Defense of Mountain House -- a Treatise

• Thread starter Deleted member 16014
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 16014

Remember like 20 years ago when there were basically two brands of freeze dried meals? Mountain House and Backpacker's Pantry.

Mountain house was cheap, and you know what always tasted good? MH Beef Stroganoff and MH Lasagna. Guess what still tastes good...MH Beef Stroganoff and MH Lasagna. It's not that healthy, uses low end ingredients, and gets a lot of shade for making people crap their pants. If your GI tract isn't dynamic enough to handle a little overprocessed comfort food on a backpack hunt I'd argue that's a you problem. I bet you crap your pants a lot.

Sure MH have a bunch of regular looking ambassadors, but no self promoting gunslingers eating their own signature peaches and oats randomly on a dock:
1695938998888.png

No accidentally discovering that the chili you bought has no meat in it. Sure I could've read the label, but it's chili c'mon:
1695939200118.png

They aren't as cheap as they used to be, but hey that's life. $8-$11 is still less than most every competitor and you can often find them on sale. They aren't bashful about marketing to hunters, and have probably warmed my belly and my heart on more hunts than any other single item.

I've tried at least a few meals of nearly every readily available brand. There are higher quality options sure; but hell if I don't love a Blue Ribbon and a Backwoods to celebrate a good hunt, and hell if I don't love a hot Mountain House.

❤️❤️❤️
1695940484577.png

Last edited by a moderator:
And while I'm in rant mode, what's the big deal about a certain cookie that starts with a "p" and ends in "ackaroons"? They are good, but coconunt macaroons are literally the easiest cookie on the face of the earth to make.

Remember like 20 years ago when there were basically two brands of freeze dried meals? Mountain House and Backpacker's Pantry.

Mountain house was cheap, and you know what always tasted good? MH Beef Stroganoff and MH Lasagna. Guess what still tastes good...MH Beef Stroganoff and MH Lasagna. It's not that healthy, uses low end ingredients, and gets a lot of shade for making people crap their pants. If your GI tract isn't dynamic enough to handle a little overprocessed comfort food on a backpack hunt I'd argue that's a you problem. I bet you crap your pants a lot.

Sure MH have a bunch of regular looking ambassadors, but no self promoting gunslingers eating their own signature peaches and oats randomly on a dock:
View attachment 294334

No accidentally discovering that the chili you bought has no meat in it. Sure I could've read the label, but it's chili c'mon:
View attachment 294336

They aren't as cheap as they used to be, but hey that's life. $8-$11 is still less than most every competitor and you can often find them on sale. They aren't bashful about marketing to hunters, and have probably warmed my belly and my heart on more hunts than any other single item.

I've tried at least a few meals of nearly every readily available brand. There are higher quality options sure; but hell if I don't love a Blue Ribbon and a Backwoods to celebrate a good hunt, and hell if I don't love a hot Mountain House.

❤️❤️❤️
View attachment 294339
A blue ribbon and a backwood!? 😍

Can we be friends?? Haha

Never been brave enough to bring the spicy variety further than 20 yards from an outhouse, but I've grown comfortable with MH rice dishes. Only ever went sour one time on me after a day of over exertion hauling elk quarters. My tummy decided to evacuate any and all. I don't think it'd be fair to blame chicken and rice.

Vegan chili is an outrage.

We usually take a small bottle of Frank's red hot and put it on pretty much every Mountain House meal. I have never had an urge to try any other brand of meal.

I ate one last week while fishing the big lake. Already forgotten the name. Had a fancy package with feel good quotes about " enjoy". It was the most tasteless bag of swag. Ate enough to curb my hunger and pitched the rest.
MH has always delivered.

I used to be able to quote the paragraph on the back as in pre-smartphone days I’d get bored enough in my tent I’d read it regularly.

Spaghetti is a slight preference over lasagna because of how the lasagna’s cheese adheres to 80% of silverware.

I also like rice and chicken, in the old packages it had a few hundred more calories than most of the rest.

I usually buy Bale Breaker, but it's not that I don't still appreciate a Rainier from time to time. Similar with MH, but my go to is either beef stew or chicken and rice.

I honestly prefer @TOGIE version of backpacking meals and go with a mcdouble or my favorite is actually the McMuffin now that breakfast is all day. That’s only a day 1 or 2 treat though I guess.
Other than that the Peak meals are my favorite. Can’t eat an entire one though.

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back