Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

In Defense of Mountain House -- a Treatise

• Thread starter Deleted member 16014
  • Start date
Costco ftw - Mountain House.

Heck, trout and grouse ftw.

All good. Eat whatcha like. 😉

people better not be overlooking this beautiful sentence.

i thought i might be the only 30+ year old on the planet that on occasion has a bag of backwoods stuffed in the middle console of my truck.
One perk of Backwoods is they can ride around in your console, backpack, or pocket for any period of time and lose virtually no quality in taste or aesthetic. There are perks to keeping the bar low.

I love mountain house but I only carry a few with me for a trip. One or two are always in my pack though as emergency food. Biscuits and gravy, beef strog, chicken and rice are all great.

But listen here. Anyone, and I mean anyone, who likes those eggs. Well, I just can't ever trust someone like that. The second most repulsive camping food I have ever had the misfortune to encounter. The worse being this ridiculous beef stew that looked like alpo that my buddy decided to burn one evening. His cooking cup smelled terrible the rest of the trip.

I love mountain house but I only carry a few with me for a trip. One or two are always in my pack though as emergency food. Biscuits and gravy, beef strog, chicken and rice are all great.

But listen here. Anyone, and I mean anyone, who likes those eggs. Well, I just can't ever trust someone like that. The second most repulsive camping food I have ever had the misfortune to encounter. The worse being this ridiculous beef stew that looked like alpo that my buddy decided to burn one evening. His cooking cup smelled terrible the rest of the trip.
Pretty sure they're the same eggs you get in hotel continental breakfasts. Just add water.

One perk of Backwoods is they can ride around in your console, backpack, or pocket for any period of time and lose virtually no quality in taste or aesthetic. There are perks to keeping the bar low.

it's damn true.

the other beauty here is you can substitute "backwoods" for "mcdouble" in this post and nothing changes.

Backcountry pantry green curry. Dare you
I might have to edit my statement. I have had a Backcountry Pantry Pad Thai in my bin for 4 years now but I haven’t been brave enough to try it, largely because of your opinions on their items.

hot tip like greenhorns: cut up pieces of summer sausage in your chili mac with beef while it's rehydrating.

What I wouldn't give to see a Mountain House / @Nameless Range collab on a chicken-fried steak breakfast...
100% agree.

I took a couple pre-cooked CF moose steaks on a trip this fall. The gravy was missing though.

I am getting a freeze dryer this winter and will be making the real deal in the very near future. Spending $3-400 on MH a year is becoming cost prohibitive. I can't even imagine how bad it will be when my kids start down that path.

I miss the packaging of the mid 2010's.

White guy, black guy, Asian woman, and black woman all sitting around a stove, laughing like they're creating the laugh track for an episode of Seinfeld. They were on the bleeding edge of wokeness in advertising. I always got a good laugh myself when I pulled one of these out of my bear bag for dinner.

I hope we can put our preferences and differences aside, and that we can all unite around the fact that Alpine Aire is consistently the worst of the options mentioned on this thread.

MH Turkey Tetrazzini was my always favorite, but I haven't seen it around in a decade or so.

I'd also shout out Right Rice, which is a plant based orzo with good nutritional value and comes in lots of flavors that can be the foundation for making your own meals. I just dump it in a gallon ziploc with some dehydrated veggies, beans, meat, whatever, and it is consistently solid going in and more importantly, coming out.

I personally banned Backpackers Pantry when they went to a package so deep that you damn near have to stick your whole arm in the thing to reach the bottom. I swear they saw Sea to Summit make the long handle spoon and said "OH HELL NO" and made that sucker 6" deeper just to thwart everyone's attempt at keeping their hands clean while eating. The last thing I want while eating in bear county is for my hands to be covered in my dinner.

I've switched to Peak Refuel for most meals. Tastes great and takes half the water of MH and others. I'd rather drink my water than eat it. Especially when I'm in the alpine somewhere kicking a puddle into a muddy seep to siphon my water.

I'm 90% normal food in base camp with an occasional Peak meal. Backpacking it's different but I'll usually vacuum seal and freeze a meal or 2 that I can just reheat on my MSR the first day. If I were an ounce counter I'd lose count around my midsection so I don't mind packing some home made stuff for a bit.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jjoner
Back