PEAX Equipment

Im bowing out

Reporting versus commentating, I think a lot of people struggle with understanding the difference. The commentating has become dominate in media and most people "get their news" from commentators rather than reporters.
I agree with you 100%.
Commentators making up facts isn't new but it's definitely escalated.
IMO, it's nearly taken over.

I disagree. I am not solely in control of global economics, war, the environment, disease, etc. I could be president of the USA and still not have sole control over these issues. I can do the best I can to raise good humans in my own little world here in ND. I can hope they go on to do great things. I cannot control global variables.
I just took your comment literally. Of course you can't control everything that goes on in the world. Best wishes raising your kids. Hard job for sure.

Re-read our portion of the thread.

Did you mean you find it specious to insinuate this is anything new?
or
did you mean you find it specious to insinuate the msm is a fictitious narrative?
That it's new, I'd argue that if anything the easy of access to information has allowed folks to see the BS more (in some ways) than there in fact being more BS.

That it's new, I'd argue that if anything the easy of access to information has allowed folks to see the BS more (in some ways) than there in fact being more BS.
Ok, my fault. For some reason, in my own ignorance, I took that as you saying it was specious to accuse the MSM of being fictitious in some sense. I shall correct my response and I see where my original comment prompted your response. My apologies.

Last edited:
All that being said there are outlets that try to be objective and their are outlets that take the Hearst approach to journalism.

When your currency is truth, you are at a severe disadvantage to those that use a currency of lies. When high shock value is what sells, and you have to make a profit, eventually you just start twisting things to get the shock.

all things MSM
What do you keep using 'MSM'? Are you trying to carve out certain forms, like podcasts or radio shows or blogs? I don't think MSM even exists anymore. All Media is just media, even social media. The only difference is the laws that they have to abide by.

What do you keep using 'MSM'? Are you trying to carve out certain forms, like podcasts or radio shows or blogs? I don't think MSM even exists anymore. All Media is just media, even social media. The only difference is the laws that they have to abide by.
I think there is still a "msm". I agree that the advent and popularity of podcasts and smaller media outlets has changed the dynamic some. But, I believe for a large portion of the voting population, they are basing their decisions and getting their information on the more traditional forms of "msm". CNN, Fox, etc. Even with election and campaign cycles, the large media companies have control, they run the debates, they are being paid to run certain political ads. The dentist's office isn't playing Joe Rogan or Jimmy dore on their TV. Neither is the car dealship, or the bank. Neither are most of the boomers in their snowbird homes. Neither are most of the politicians. The smaller media companies that do take the "Hearst approach" are largely ignored and irrelevant in the grand scheme of information.

Last edited:
I think there is still a "msm". I agree that the advent and popularity of podcasts and smaller media outlets has changed the dynamic some. But, I believe for a large portion of the voting population, they are basing their decisions and getting their information on the more traditional forms of "msm". CNN, Fox, etc. Even with election and campaign cycles, the large media companies have control. The dentist's office isn't playing Joe Rogan or Jimmy dore on their TV. Neither is the car dealship, or the bank. Neither are most of the boomers in their snowbird homes. Neither are most of the politicians. The smaller media companies that do take the "Hearst approach" are largely ignored and irrelevant in the grand scheme of information.

Folks kinda get the left to right part of the chart now... but mostly people struggle with the fact reporting analysis axis.

For instance, people lost their lids about Joe Rogan. Can't tell you how many people I had to tell that Joe's just a goofy stoner. He's definitely doesn't have a left right bias as far as I'm concerned, he absolutely does a lot of DMT.

"He's a right wing vaccine denier."

"Joe believes dolphins see into the 9th dimension, let's pump those brakes."

1666975616813.png

There is also a decent amount of variability between folks that work at these outlets, Fox has some good reporting occasionally. NPR sometimes veers into too much opinion.

Folks kinda get the left to right part of the chart now... but mostly people struggle with the fact reporting analysis axis.

For instance, people lost their lids about Joe Rogan. Can't tell you how many people I had to tell that Joe's just a goofy stoner. He's definitely doesn't have a left right bias as far as I'm concerned, he absolutely does a lot of DMT.

"He's a right wing vaccine denier."

"Joe believes dolphins see into the 9th dimension, let's pump those brakes."

View attachment 246916

There is also a decent amount of variability between folks that work at these outlets, Fox has some good reporting occasionally. NPR sometimes veers into too much opinion.
I remember the first time I saw that chart (might have been slightly different). My first thought was,"Whoever made that has a left-wing bias".

I think there is still a "msm". I agree that the advent and popularity of podcasts and smaller media outlets has changed the dynamic some. But, I believe for a large portion of the voting population, they are basing their decisions and getting their information on the more traditional forms of "msm". CNN, Fox, etc. Even with election and campaign cycles, the large media companies have control, they run the debates, they are being paid to run certain political ads. The dentist's office isn't playing Joe Rogan or Jimmy dore on their TV. Neither is the car dealship, or the bank. Neither are most of the boomers in their snowbird homes. Neither are most of the politicians. The smaller media companies that do take the "Hearst approach" are largely ignored and irrelevant in the grand scheme of information.
The FCC regulates over-the-air broadcast companies (NBC, CBS, ABC, Fox Broadcast co) and there are rules for distributing false information. These rules do not apply to CNN or Fox News, which is why you don't see Tucker C or Rachel Maddow on over-the-air channel. They can pretty much say whatever they want and the only recourse is to sue them for libel or slander, which has happened. I highly doubt most people are still getting their news from the 30-min evening news programs that dominated my youth. Basically, the FCC regulations haven't really kept up with the changes in technology.

Censorship is a dangerous drug. I will take our imperfect media, over the CCP media. No housing issues in China right now, it's perfect!
This thread is about our current US housing issues. Stay focused.😉
First amendment does a good job. It's not a matter of having rules or not having rule. It is about when and where they are applied.

The FCC regulates over-the-air broadcast companies (NBC, CBS, ABC, Fox Broadcast co) and there are rules for distributing false information. These rules do not apply to CNN or Fox News, which is why you don't see Tucker C or Rachel Maddow on over-the-air channel. They can pretty much say whatever they want and the only recourse is to sue them for libel or slander, which has happened. I highly doubt most people are still getting their news from the 30-min evening news programs that dominated my youth. Basically, the FCC regulations haven't really kept up with the changes in technology.

First amendment does a good job. It's not a matter of having rules or not having rule. It is about when and where they are applied.
You're right, it doesn't appear to be the majority. Without spending too much time wading through it, it appears to be just under half...or there abouts by my quick cross referencing estimation. But it's still a high prevalence in the older age groups, which are also the highest turn out at the voting booth. Perhaps better/different sources would have different conclusions.

Another WSJ that isn't bad (they get a new head Editor or something?). But the article title does irritate me a little. It was standard in my 20's to have a roommate. Are Gen Z expectations too high?

"In North Charleston, S.C., 27-year-old bartender Bailey Byrum said her younger sister moved in with her at her two-bedroom rental house. Ms. Byrum said her sister had trouble finding her own place and had recently been living with her parents.

“She has a good job… but places by yourself are like $500 to $600 out of her budget,” Ms. Byrum said."

Great article
I'm not subscribing to read the whole thing, but the part I could read looked like typical Atlantic drivel.

Homeownership has been a great investment for me. Especially since I build them. Ever hear the old builder saying, "build 3, the 4th is free" ?🙂

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MontanaPete59102
Back