MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

My Story from Colorado - Year of the Hunt - 2017 (Part 1)

So I grew up in the Midwest, Wisconsin. We had 85 acres of land in central Wisconsin that primarily served as a hunting property for us. My grandfather had purchased the property in the 1960s for nothing and at the time, it was 85 acres of mostly treeless hills and prairie. My grandfather planted trees all over and by the time I can remember first going there, in the late 1980s, it was covered in beautiful timber with some prairie mixed in. It was a beautiful place and I spent almost every weekend there growing up, cutting grass, gardening, shooting my bow, maintaining trails, and building/maintaining our tree stands. I sorely miss it and hope whoever has it now has kept it a wild place in our ever shrinking world.

My dad was a hunter and took me into the stand with him bow hunting when I was young as 5 years old. I am sure I was a huge asset to him at that age and not a huge liability. My first memory of hunting actually involves eating an apple up in the stand with my dad and him telling me to throw that apple core as far as I could when I finished it. I think that my dad did an excellent job introducing me to hunting. He deliberately did not take animals while I was there with him for the first few years. He waited until I was older, maybe around 9 or 10, before he actually shot something so I would be able to better deal with the emotional aspects of seeing death. At the time, it drove me crazy because I wanted to see success but I see now why he did it and think it was the right choice.

We had a true Wisconsin deer camp every year for gun season. My dad, his hunting buddy, his hunting buddy's sons, and both myself and my brother would go up every opening weekend in November. We would play cards, eat donuts, and generally have the best time all year hunting whitetails with our .30-.30 rifles. This is where I first saw my father take an animal and I can still remember how exciting the whole thing was. I also learned how to process deer up at our deer camp - we did our own skinning and butchering out in the garage after opening day each year. At the time, I do not think that I appreciated how useful these skills were that my dad was passing down to me.

I took my first deer at age 15 with bow. At the time, I think I was pretty low in terms of mental health. That is a difficult age and transitioning to high school was difficult those first two months because I barely knew anyone at the school. All of that went away that September weekend, when I finally tasted success. It was a Friday evening and I went out to my favorite tree stand, which we referred to as "the tripod." All of our stands had nicknames. We had "the far end, at the far end of our 85 acres. We had "the oasis," which was located in a copse of trees in the middle of one of the prairie areas of our property. The "tripod," which was attached to/between three trees in the timber was my favorite stand. I saw deer there almost every time I sat there and my dad always gave me first choice on where I wanted to go once he allowed me to hunt on my own. That's another thing I did not appreciate at the time. Anyway, I was there that particular evening when I saw a small, six point buck moving in my direction through the trees. Much to my surprise, he came up one of the offshoot game trails that led directly under my stand. I have never, in my life to this day, had my heart beat as fast or as loudly as it did as that buck approached. I was shaking and could barely breathe from the anticipation of the moment but the arrow flew true. He only went about 30 yards or so. I had the usual gamut of emotions at seeing what I had done. At first, extreme sadness - but eventually it transitioned to the elation that you feel at finally accomplishing a goal that you had worked so hard to achieve. I still remember it well to this day, even though it was almost 20 years ago.

From that point forward, though, I started hunting less and less. I ended up making friends but none of them hunted or participated in outdoor activities outside of hiking. It is somewhat ironic because my father got into hunting because of the friends that he made in high school and college. My grandfather definitely was not a hunter. I started to get out of hunting for the same reason. I hunted one more bow season (with no success) and two-three other gun seasons where I did take deer. I think what finally drove me to stop was my last gun season, which happened at the height of the CWD control efforts when we first learned CWD had made it to Wisconsin. Officials were asking that everyone take deer (there were "eradication" zones) but not to eat any of the meat. My father and I took animals that season but we ended up just dropping the carcasses off and not keeping the meat. It was a sickening feeling and it was just another factor that caused me to leave hunting from that point forward. Later, I was too busy with college and law school to give it much thought.

My family ended up selling the property that we had in Wisconsin and I moved away to Colorado. Been out here since 2010, but time commitments with work made doing anything impossible on the weekends. For the first 5 years or so in my job, I worked 6 days a week for at least 10 hours a day. Honestly, it was killing me. I remember sitting in the office one Sunday in July, in the prime of my life, realizing that I was wasting my life and would never look back at these times with fondness on my death bed. I missed the outdoors and made a pact (with myself) to stop working so goddamn much and get out into the wild.

It started with fly fishing and camping more often. I decided I wanted to learn and put everything towards getting outside. I started camping in beautiful wilderness areas:

1567266892851.png

And I started figuring out fly fishing. It was extremely difficult at first as I only had experience with conventional gear and had never fished a river in my life. I was a lake fisherman. I started on a tiny creek near where I lived because it was close. It ended up being the best possible river to learn on because that small water teaches you where the fish hide. I listened to every Rosenbauer podcast, watched the Orvis fly fishing videos, and figured it out on my own. Eventually, I was fishing big water and catching trout one a regular basis.

1567267225010.png

Once I had "conquered" fly fishing, I felt like I wanted another outdoor challenge. I wanted to experience that high of being terrible at something and figuring it out on my own. I thought about how long it had been since I was hunting and that I really had no idea how to hunt on public land at all. I had always had that private 85 acres before - had never set foot on public land in Wisconsin in terms of hunting. So I set about trying to learn on my own, which led me to Randy Newberg, Meateater, Solohunter, etc. None of my friends really hunt to this day, which is probably due in large part to my (and my friends') political perspective and background. None of them grew up hunting or in a rural environment. So I set about on this adventure on my own as well.

I started to get serious on learning to hunt on public land out here in the West in 2017. 2016 was the year of fly fishing - 2017 was the year of the hunt. I went to one of the CPW seminars on hunting turkeys early in 2017, where I learned a lot. I took that and put it to good use once the season opened in 2017. I got my first turkey ever about 2 weeks or so into the season and I could not have been happier. It was an amazing experience. I had been walking up this trail after work one day, not really hearing much of anything. I was thinking about calling it an evening when I decided to get off the trail a bit and bushwhack back. I got about 30 yards or so into the pinyon off the trail and did a few hen calls. Immediately, the entire forest around me erupted in gobbles. I cannot even estimate how many birds gobbled back at me - to this day I have never heard anything like it. I went, sat with my back down next to the closest tree, and waited. At this same time, thunder started rolling in (it was a rainy day) and much to my surprise, the turkeys started gobbling in response to the thunder. It was one of the best hunting experiences I have ever had. Eventually, I started seeing those tell tale red heads moving through the woods toward my location. While there were birds everywhere, a group of 5 turkeys came in very, very close to me. Around 5 yards or so. I was sitting there trying to the best of my ability to see a beard but all I could see was a little nub sticking out at like a 90 degree angle from their necks. I could not tell if that was a beard or not (it was a group of jakes). So I sat there, trembling, waiting to confirm whether one was legal to shoot. Looking back, it is rather humorous as they were clearly bearded Jakes but I was so inexperienced at the time I had no idea. As they turned to walk away, finding no hen there, I did a very quiet hen call. Immediately, all five BLEW UP with gobbles and started strutting around. Even inexperienced me knew they were bearded male birds at that point, and so I shot my first turkey from maybe 5-10 yards away.

1567268016255.png

Attachments

• 1567268853942.png
    1567268853942.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 35
  • 1567269079611.png
    1567269079611.png
    919.6 KB · Views: 31
  • 1567269403677.png
    1567269403677.png
    919.1 KB · Views: 27
  • 1567269570648.png
    1567269570648.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 26
Next came big game season. I had scored an archery deer tag for GMU 47, 43, 471 that year and went out only about 3 or so days due to work commitments. I saw a lot of deer and had an amazing opportunity on an enormous mule deer buck in GMU 43, but I could not put the shot together. I was still hunting through the woods - going very, very slow, when the mule deer buck happened to be walking in the same vicinity on a game trail. I watched him get closer and closer, until he was only about 20 yards away. I did not have time to do a range - I estimated it was 30 yards. I attempted to thread the needle through some trees to his vitals but my poor range estimate = a log shot behind my buck. Major bummer.

View attachment 113429

I had hunted elk one day during one of the OTC seasons in 2016 but in 2017, I actually gave it a serious try. I did have one friend that I met up here who hunted, so we ended up getting after it up in NW Colorado. We hunted fourth season, mid November, and had found this spot that was promising. My buddy had been there before and seen a lot of cows there, which is what we were hunting for, and so we decided to give it a try. It was a nasty spot - approximately 2000 feet of extreme elevation gain to get to where we wanted to go. We got up at maybe 3:30 a.m., drove the few hours to the access point, and started cruising on up. It was warm that day, maybe 45 degrees, but extremely windy and drizzling. As we got up to the area that we thought might be promising, we started seeing fresh sign under our headlamps. It was still dark but we could tell we were onto something. Less than 5 minutes later, as we were walking through the bottom of a drainage, everything erupted in cow calls. You know the sound. We immediately sat down and went silent to wait for light when we would be able to see. As it got lighter, we could see that a small herd (maybe 30 or so elk) was up on a hillside of a ridge maybe 350 yards away. We tried to make a move on them but in our inexperience, they saw us and bailed. Not to be deterred, we attempted to go up another ridge that had cover to circle around to a different drainage. We split up for this portion of the hunt. Eventually, I got over to the other drainage and heard shots from my buddy's direction. At the same time, I looked back to where I had come from and saw 6-7 cow elk hanging out on the hillside across from me. I ranged it and it was 400 yards. Way too far for me, or so I thought. I started to get closer but as I lost elevation, I lost the shot window. Also, the cows could clearly see me. So I found a spot on my hillside where I was in some rocks and set about watching the elk to figure out what I wanted to do next. The spot I chose was literally perfect - I had it situated so that it was like shooting from a bench rest at the shooting range. The wind had completely dissipated and it was still. I ranged the cow I had been looking at. 387 yards. So far - I had never shot more than 250 yards or so at the rifle range. However, my scope did have BDC plus I knew what my bullet drop was as I had read the information on my cartridge. I kept my crosshairs on the cow for maybe 15 minutes. Finally, I decided to take the shot. I shot and when the scope came back down, I thought I saw something tumbling downhill. However, the rest of the cows never ran. They just sat there feeding. Had the shot been good? Was I mistaken about seeing that spot of brown rolling downhill out of the corner of my eye? I must have missed - why would they all just be sitting there and feeding if I had shot true? I gave it about an hour or so (in case I had scored a hit but it was not perfect) since I had heard that is what you should do. I went down and started climbing the insane incline that was the other hillside with little to no hope. I had marked on the GPS where I thought the cow was, but was worried because it was so thick with timber in there. I figured I would start a grid pattern looking for blood but not 50 yards from where I thought I should start looking, I saw my cow was down!

View attachment 113428

It was an amazing experience - have not felt anything else like it to this day. It had been the culmination of a lot of work and it was a beautiful animal. I can say that breaking an elk down is a very different experience vs. a deer. I had never been this close to an elk and the size difference was amazing. It was a very, very large cow and I struggled to break it down on my own. You cannot hold a rear quarter with one arm while cutting with the other (I was too inexperienced to think of/know the rope tying trick). It wiped me out - I have never been more exhausted in my life from both the strenuous hiking and breaking down the animal on my own. The weather also started to turn - snow was coming down. My buddy and I decided to get out of there and come back the next day.

When we got back the next day, it was a high of approximately 5 degrees. We packed out my elk (plus my buddy's elk) over the course of that day. If I thought I had been exhausted the day before, it was nothing compared to this day. This is the face of exhaustion.

View attachment 113430

So by now, I was fully addicted to hunting but left without any additional opportunities to hunt big game in 2017. Thus, I decided I was going to learn how to hunt waterfowl. There were opportunities to hunt some public land blinds in western CO, so I decided to book some of those and see what I could do. The blinds out here in Western Colorado are along the river and not always in the most ideal spots. What I found is that the ducks often were flying over as "pass-throughs" and not really landing near my decoys. Plus, I was a terrible shot. It was not until December that I finally tasted success and got a bird down.

View attachment 113431

I got a few more birds down before the end of 2017, but that wraps up what I have termed "The Year of the Hunt" for me - 2017. I learned how to hunt public land, I finally started devoting time to the hobby I love, and I learned how I want to spend my free time in fall for the rest of my life. Anyway, I am a FNG on this forum and that is my story on how I came back to hunting after leaving the sport for almost 20 years.

Very cool intro, welcome! I can definitely relate to the "realizing that I was wasting my life and would never look back at these times with fondness on my death bed". Good luck with 2019 year of the hunt.

Welcome to HuntTalk, and quite the beautiful way to introduce yourself.

You have taken a long ago used base of skills, and applied yourself to grow your skills in quite admirable ways.

I was sitting right next to you when those turkeys were responding to the thunder. Quite the amazing self awareness and self control to hold off until you were sure they were legal birds.

Hope you can hit it as much as you would like in 2019

Thanks for reading! I'll post eventually on the 2019 plans but I have A LOT of tags. 2 pronghorn doe tags in Wyoming, mule deer buck tag Wyoming, 2 elk tags in CO, and two deer tags in CO (buck and doe). My freezer is almost completely out of game meat, so I am very excited for the upcoming season.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tinhunter
Back