MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Im bowing out

I know this is an old post, but we moved to CO in Feb because we found better jobs and wages than what we had in AZ.
However, we're thinking about moving again in April when our lease is up. The cost of homes here is ridiculous and we don't make that much.
If nothing happens to the market by then we'll be packing the uhaul and moving farther East.

We listed our house as coming soon in AZ and it was sold for above asking price in about a day. Still it doesn't compare to anything we've seen here price wise or anything else.

You posted this gem on the tax thread. Propaganda, yes. Entertainment, no.🙂

I’m not senile. I know I posted it. You don’t have to remind me. It is entertainment. You don’t have to watch, but You should probably try to contribute something to the discussion rather than just dismiss because of the source.

How many houses do you think Boomer Jon owns around the country? Blame him for your housing dilemma!
It's not about who to blame. To @TOGIE question, I will change my answer to 'Yes, if builders built more houses it would solve the problem". But they haven't for years so I'm not holding my breath on that. I don't blame builders. As you know, they do what is economically in their best interest - Capitalism is great. I also don't like blaming the Fed. The Fed has 2 tools- the cost of money and the amount of money. If we rail on the Fed then the next politician will tell us they will solve the problem with one of those two tools. In the end that just makes us more reliant on the Fed/Government to fix our problems rather than less as many think.

I grew up in a 1600sq ft house built in the 60's. Six of us.
My first home purchase was a 900sq ft condo with a mortgage of 7.5%
The next house was 1800 sq ft build in post WWII boom.
So maybe we should ask if builders are building the right homes. Do we build this size home any more, ie. starter homes? If not, why? Are our expectations on housing size and location realistic? How do we "fix" any of this?

The post WWII housing boom was probably driven by some lending rules in the GI bill that let returning soldiers easily borrow and buy homes. Creations like the 30yr mtg and tax incentives furthered the "boom" for decades. Now we have a situation where only those with a sizable amount of cash can buy a home. Seems f-ed up. But these are problems of our own creation, so I have some hope we can figure them out.

It's not about who to blame. To @TOGIE question, I will change my answer to 'Yes, if builders built more houses it would solve the problem". But they haven't for years so I'm not holding my breath on that. I don't blame builders. As you know, they do what is economically in their best interest - Capitalism is great. I also don't like blaming the Fed. The Fed has 2 tools- the cost of money and the amount of money. If we rail on the Fed then the next politician will tell us they will solve the problem with one of those two tools. In the end that just makes us more reliant on the Fed/Government to fix our problems rather than less as many think.

I grew up in a 1600sq ft house built in the 60's. Six of us.
My first home purchase was a 900sq ft condo with a mortgage of 7.5%
The next house was 1800 sq ft build in post WWII boom.
So maybe we should ask if builders are building the right homes. Do we build this size home any more, ie. starter homes? If not, why? Are our expectations on housing size and location realistic? How do we "fix" any of this?

The post WWII housing boom was probably driven by some lending rules in the GI bill that let returning soldiers easily borrow and buy homes. Creations like the 30yr mtg and tax incentives furthered the "boom" for decades. Now we have a situation where only those with a sizable amount of cash can buy a home. Seems f-ed up. But these are problems of our own creation, so I have some hope we can figure them out.

my only takeaway from that article i posted wasn't really one of "who to blame." nor was it what i was getting at when i posted it.

my takeaway was: given the current environment and the realities of our economic situation builders are slowing down again and this will not help our issues.

reading more closely, or even more through a different lens or with preconceived biases, yeah it's throwing around some ill conceived blame. i mean, nothing in there isn't true IMO, but i agree, blaming the fed isn't the way to look at it.

i would say blame joe biden, but he's not techncially a boomer is he? ;)

I absolutely place blame on the Fed. Everyone with half a brain knew inflation was not "transitory". I also blame both the Trump Administration and the Biden Administration for dumping Trillions of dollars into the economy in the last 4 years. If the Fed would have raised rates in the summer of 2021, they would not have had to raise them to the extent they have to raise them now. Should have taken our medicine back then, but there were too many commentators giving them cover not to.

I absolutely place blame on the Fed. Everyone with half a brain knew inflation was not "transitory". I also blame both the Trump Administration and the Biden Administration for dumping Trillions of dollars into the economy in the last 4 years. If the Fed would have raised rates in the summer of 2021, they would not have had to raise them to the extent they have to raise them now. Should have taken our medicine back then, but there were too many commentators giving them cover not to.

Media personality with $1m+/yr Contract with CNBC tells rest of working America they need to endure pain? Even if he is right, the message just doesn’t go over well.

Media personality with $1m+/yr Contract with CNBC tells rest of working America they need to endure pain? Even if he is right, the message just doesn’t go over well.
It will sound much better coming from Tucker Carlson and Fox "News" I suppose. have at it.

Meanwhile, how does any of this explain the fact that this inflation "cycle" is global, not national? Such simplistic explanations ignore that fact. Time to look past .gov for your finger pointing.

Lots of wllm-esque graphs for those of you that like pictures (I do).

Yeh. Rick would probably make 5 million a year if would just sugar coat reality and not hurt anyone's feelings.🙂 You are the one always claiming Americans can't handle the truth. Some truth to that for sure.

It’s interesting to me that housing prices have turned political. You’d think economics was apolitical, but it appears not. I suppose blaming the Boomers is the apolitical path though because they ruin everything…
Seems to me economics is the most political thing there is. When the economy is good, everyone wants to take credit for it. When the economy is bad, everyone wants to blame someone else.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sept7872
Back