Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Hunting TV celebrity busted

Oak

Expert
It seems that Mr. Beck didn't think it was important to actually BUY the second tag. :rolleyes: You would think that the host of a television show would be smart enough to follow all of the rules. This isn't even a case of being held to a higher standard for television. This was obviously blatent disregard of the law. :mad: I hope that The Sportsman Channel takes note of this crap and does a better job of policing what they choose to broadcast.

Bob Beck, co-host of Extreme Outer Limits on The Sportsman Channel won’t be filming himself participating in public hunting seasons in Idaho – or 36 others states – next year.

Beck’s TV broadcast of a 2010 hunt helped seal his case, forcing him to plead guilty last month to hunting illegally near St. Maries.

On the broadcast, the Oregon hunter explained Idaho’s rules allow hunters to purchase a second tag that entitles them to shoot an additional whitetail.

Indeed, he bags two deer for the viewers’ pleasure.

But working with a tip from a sportsman a year after the TV show aired, Idaho Fish and Game officers and Benewah County prosecutors were able to prove, among other things, that Beck had purchased only one tag.

Full Story

The biggest threat to hunters isn't PETA, it's our own.

Nugent, Foiles, Beck, Rossi, Peay - all of them give us a black eye, yet they continue to be the public's vision of what the hunter conservationist is.

Great, just what we need. Another TV guy blatantly violating the rules and given the impression that laws are for the other guy. Wonder what his sponsors think of this kind of publicity? I know the folks at the network, and I can assure you this is not the image they want for hunting.

Hey Ben-

You left Razor Dobbs off of your list. How did that guy get a spot on the NBC Sports channel?

I'm offended by 90% of the hunting shows these days. It's really hard for me to watch them. As the future chief of the crow nation use to tell lean over and tell me, after he listened to some expert tell how to do something, "Hey Wood, (my last name) sounds like a lot of bull chit to me".

Some of my favorite programs the kill was the least important thing. The hunt itself was more important. You dont have to have the multiple kills. Remember "Hunting with Hank". An upland bird show that had maybe two kill shots an episode. I loved that show. I just watched "The Meateater" strike out on a show. OYOA, another one that is real hunting.

Hank was one hell of a bird dog. Has anyone contacted any of Becks sponsors to see what they think of this. I would think they would be trying to distance themselves from this D-bag.

I agree the hunts the most important not the kill or size of the kill.Unfortunately, we are in a minority.Pretty unreal a guy would waste his job over shooting something illegal.Hard to run a show when your banned in 39 states from getting a license.We need more reality TV in hunting shows.Instead of these preserve or high dollar outfitted hunts.We need to get away from the trophy mentality by horn size and enjoy the challenge of the hunt.never watched meateater as Fins show is basically all I'll watch
Makes me want to grab a camera and go film real guys and real hunts around the country

I just had a conversation with Mr Beck.
I believe he deserves to be heard, and here is his response to my post on another site:

"Well it sure didn't take long for someone to latch on to this article and try to do there part and spread it like wildfire! We have not even had enough time to even address this legally yet and here we go!

So now my side of the story: I did not poach a deer as this states. This is the media at its finest for sure. I did however receive a violation, for in legal terms, not possessing the second part of my documents. I am not banned from any hunting in any states as this mentioned. I am a stand up guy and took the responsibility for my accidental mistake. I agreed to pay the state there portion of the restitution for the animal. This was the responsible thing to do with no blaming anyone else.

My sponsors are behind me 110%. We will be continuing as usual with filming and making great shows with great product demonstration. I hope that people can look at this and understand that this can happen to anyone, and it just so happened to me. I am a professional and as we all know sometimes professionals in their field make mistakes. It just so happens that when your on TV the media feels to embellish and publicly humiliate you when they can.

I apologize for this happening and will do my best to get resolved as quickly as possible.
my reply:
That writer didn't paint a very good picture of your actions and he was rather blunt in the accusations as well.
If the article in untrue you have remedies.
===================
and:

We have the remedies. We just are unsure of what to do exactly? If we threaten them with legal action we are the bad guys too. We are really against the wall here.

I told you exactly what happened. We had a admin error in the office prior to the hunt. Therefor unknowns to me I did not have all of what I needed. Now granted my fault for not double checking. This is why I said hey no problem I will step up and take care of it. Then we agreed to a deal and it was signed by the parties and done. Now here we are sometime later with someone looking to make a example of me. Don't really know what to say at this point. Like I said I stepped up and took responsibility.

Thanks, and any support will be greatly appreciated.

His response is just awesome :rolleyes: Amazing how poor most hunting shows really are. Should be interesting to see what his show looks like not being able to hunt in a ton of states.

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back