Caribou Gear Tarp

Hunting Gear Thats Punches Above its Pricepoint

The USFS issued me this "fart sack" back in 1977 when I was on a fire crew. Boss said to keep it if I was coming back the next year. Unfortunately, the position was eliminated by next season. Forest Service was changing to throwaway paper sleeping bags anyway. I think this one must be military surplus? It is great. Heavy but my pack horse never complained. Made of three components: outer canvas shell, snap-in cotton(?) batting filled insulated liner, and snap-in sheet. The heavy insulation stays tucked around me very comfortably and the cotton sheet keeps me from sweating during the night (always a problem with nylon sleeping bags). I wore out the bag's OD green sheet a few years ago and sewed up this kahki replacement. This bag has the best darn zipper of anything I've yet encountered. Smooth as silk and never gets hung up. Very important in my elder years when my bladder seems to have shrunk to peanut size and I have to get up to answer nature FAST. Everything can be unsnapped and cleaned in a regular home washing machine/dryer.

If you happen to find one of these surplus sleeping bags at a yard sale or flea market, snap it up. Mine is about worn out and I'd pay a couple hundred bucks to replace it.20211126_081642.jpg

I'll never pay $25 for them, but the Darn Tough I bought on sale yesterday are pretty nice for $14 a pair.

Carharrt heavyweight base layer pants (poly/wool) $40 on amazon.

I love solid wool base layer pants but am terribly hard on them and usually will wear out a set or 2 on inside of legs in a season. Tried the carhartts cause expected duribility and while to hot for some days the days i wore them they preformed perfect.

Another vote darn tough wool socks. I buy the wool work socks for $14-16 pair and they are great 3 season socks. When it gets real cold i swap to kennetrek Montana or alaskans there best very cold weather sock i have found.

Moosie’s catch and release synthetic puffy jacket. I use this item almost every time I go out fishing or hunting. I like that it is synthetic and dries quickly, downside is it is a little heavy. It also double’s as a great pillow!
Matt

Make sure they are the 100% synthetic ones and you're good to go.

They also have a cotton/poly blend and they are great work trousers.
I saw Wrangler ATG pants at North 40 in Havre. Thought I might give them a try. Not at $89 a pair! Instead I bought a pair of Nobel Outfitters "flex" work pants in chocolate brown. Very comfortable and a good buy at $35. I like the heavy duty belt loops and handy designated cell phone pocket. My cell phone's protective cover pulls anything else out of the pocket with it. Must have lost at least a hundred bucks in $20 bills (I hate wallets).18425_015_Men_s-Stretch-Canvas-Work-Pant_Asphalt_Front_1800x1800.jpg

Just ordered some Darn Tuff from the factory.
Back ordered some American Made Jeans too. I am tired of my jeans being made outside the US. No more Wranglers or Levis.

Will be trying some more Duluth jeans,but very mad they are also made elsewhere or with foreign materials. Loved the vest I had,but the damn ykk zipper broke and they did nothing. I have a great jacket I got as a gift.
I have bought stuff from them since they started,with no ads. Not what they were...

I do have a hard time with this subject. Buying American,quality.

Still can't swallow $124 for a pair of Origin or Jocko jeans,when you can never speak to a person at the factory/store. They say they are coming out with some camo...how about quality solids for hunting & work?

Just ordered some Darn Tuff from the factory.
Back ordered some American Made Jeans too. I am tired of my jeans being made outside the US. No more Wranglers or Levis.

Will be trying some more Duluth jeans,but very mad they are also made elsewhere or with foreign materials. Loved the vest I had,but the damn ykk zipper broke and they did nothing. I have a great jacket I got as a gift.
I have bought stuff from them since they started,with no ads. Not what they were...

I do have a hard time with this subject. Buying American,quality.

Still can't swallow $124 for a pair of Origin or Jocko jeans,when you can never speak to a person at the factory/store. They say they are coming out with some camo...how about quality solids for hunting & work?
Hank

Quality solid pants for hunting/work= Kuiu attack pants! They aren’t cheap but do go on sale sometimes also.

Hank

Quality solid pants for hunting/work= Kuiu attack pants! They aren’t cheap but do go on sale sometimes also.
A couple of the hunters here this year wore them and they looked good,even the old ones that were stitched up.

I like the duluth flex firehose pants for summer work here,but too cool & noisey for hunting. And not American made....

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tinhunter
Back