Hunting Gear Thats Punches Above its Pricepoint

+1 Wrangler pants
+1 Allen Game Bags
+1 BlackOvis merino

Condor Base II grid fleece can be found for $20-26 on Amazon. Have one and want a couple more

Finally got to try out my HammockGear 0 degree EconoBurrow quilt and I gotta say, that thing is better than I expected. I was nervous about using a quilt, and I was actually too warm a couple nights (but too stubborn to shed a layer of clothes)

I used a set of $60 recovery boards off Amazon to help a couple of guys get their truck out of the gumbo in Eastern Montana this past weekend. I will never be caught without them again.
I have a pair of tire chains I use. Never used the boards. Is there a big difference between the two?

I agree on the Wrangler brand outdoor pants. A steal @ $20
I wear the fleece-lined version all winter long up here in Alaska.
Problem with nylon/fleece/wool is they get holes from flying embers around the campfire.
For sitting around the campfire, I like lined Carhartts.

Darn tough merino wools socks...made in USA and you can send them back if you ever wear them out
and you get a new pair, no questions asked.

Not for backpacking, but I like plastic jet sleds and Koplin gun boots...mine are over 30 years old,
take a licking and still very functional. I abuse my jetsled all winter long hauling firewood at
extremely cold temperatures and they are bombproof.

Also Helly Hanson commercial rain gear...my pair is from 1989 and always on my boat.

Vanguard Endeavor XF 15-45x60 Spotter. I've had this spotter for over a year and half now and it bats way above it's average considering you can pick it up for under $250. IMO it should cost double or triple that. Its a really solid spotter.

Costco lightweight hiking pants and puffys, pretty darn good quality for what you pay. Smartwater bottles for use with sawyer filters.

Reactions: JAG
For those who identify with the camp for either the Eddie Bauer Guide Pro Pants and Wrangler Nylon/Spandex pants, what is your jacket preference?

I love my Wrangler Nylon stretchy pants; fit great, dry fast, cheap, and functional.

Maybe not above, but the following have been at minimum well worth the money.
5.11 Apex pants. Very comfortable. Love the variety of pockets.
Firstlite Kiln 1/4 zip. It gets worn on more hunts and outdoor activities than any other piece of clothing I own.
Darn tough socks. Need I say more?

Benchmade Bugout. With an REI discount you can get it just over $100 bucks. It's hands down the handiest knife I've ever owned. With a reprofiled edge to make it slicier, I skinned and deboned my entire bull last fall without touching it up. It still rough shaved hair when I got back to the truck.
IMG_3120.jpg

Outdoor edge butcher kits are a pretty good deal. They are fairly sharp straight out of the package, resharpen pretty easily, has everything you need to do a basic butcher job, and fit nicely into the molded plastic case.
Second, a work sharp sharpener. That thing can put a shaving sharp edge on any knife in a matter of minutes and is virtually foolproof. The basic model runs about 80 bucks, which isn't cheap, but if you do any kind of butchering it is worth it's weight in gold.
Finally, I absolutely love my drake waterfowl pullover. I wear it for everything these days because it is warm, fairly light, and the assortment of pockets come in handy all the time.

When out in the field there are two things that I absolutely ensure that I take care of: my feet and my multi-tool. Darn Tough socks are great. For boots, I’ve been very pleased with my Rocky boots. For my multi-tool it’s my Leatherman Surge. Dependable, stainless steel, it’s never failed me.
interesting. Rocky boots have always been what I considered junk boots. And never even use a multitool when hunting.

Darn tough socks. yes.

Yes. Awesome piece of gear.
I sharpened my Buck 110 before heading out, using the one my Bride got me last Christmas. I am a guy that can sit with a stone and a blade and end up with a butter knife.

Of all the sharp I have ever managed to get on knife blades in my 63 years, add it all up, and my Buck is sharper than that. In less than 10 minutes.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samcarp
Back