Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Backpack hunting gear for kids

Moserkr

Creating this thread for a reference of gear for backpack hunting with kids. Im looking for recommendations for my soon to be 5 year old kid, but would like to hear about what gear works, and what doesnt, for all ages of kids.

My boy is already set on going with me and pretends to hunt constantly. He proved himself this year when I took him on a truck camping hunt. He woke up early, hiked as far as he could, and never complained. For all purposes his hunt was more successful than mine - he “shot” an elk, deer, and antelope. Most of my best spots are around 3-5 miles in and he can make that trip one way no problem. With rest and food, Im sure he can hunt from there and be able to hike back out too.

I will probably need to get new clothes and boots for him for next season but the cheap amazon stuff I got this year worked great. I have family and friends to pass it down to so Im not worried about buying more.

Gear from this year:

Merrell Chameleon 7 Boots - highly impressed with these boots for him. Velcro closure so he can put them on himself. Waterproof, rugged, comfy.

Basic amazon synthetic pants, shirt, soft shell jacket, base layer, wool socks, gloves, beanie. Fleece sweatshirt and a syn puffy - he was just barely warm enough at 30*. He already had some of this stuff so including the $60 boots, I was only in around $120. Wish my clothing/boots were that cheap lol. Also got him a hunter orange thin fabric vest for safety for $5. Rain gear - figure cheap frogg toggs if it comes down to it, or sit him out for those days?

Next year Im looking at a nest for the tipi for him and Ill use my bivy. Will hand down my sleeping pad to him and get a better one for me.

One recommendation I could use is for a kids sleeping bag, preferably made with down, under 2lbs, and not over $150 hopefully - 30* range. He is only 3’6” tall right now so something short that he can grow into would be nice. Figure he will need a whole new setup by age 8 or 9 and again in his teens. My daughter and friends will get hand me downs.

The other recommendation I could use is for a pack. Thinking something not too beefy, but big enough for basics. One I have my eye on is the Osprey Ace 38 kids pack. Its a granola eating type pack but light weight. He weighs 40lbs so 25% of bodyweight to carry is 10lbs. I only expect him to carry his water, snacks, and layers. As he gets older, add his sleep system. Again, past 8 years old, a bigger pack and keep the old one for the next kiddo.

5 years old may seem kind of young to some people but he has gone above and beyond my expectations. I feel like hes capable, willing, and its up to me to get him ready. Thanks in advance for the help and I hope this thread helps other people start em young in the future too.

Wyatt: Day 4, over a mile deep, up before dawn daily. Packing out a “deer” in this pic.
BA82CF15-C449-4DCC-B5A4-A83E6406D18C.jpeg

Priceless hunting with my father and my son.
0064365E-2B80-4E5F-8113-AB4B9281F3DF.jpeg

Future hunts with him will always be successful if he enjoys being out there as much as I do. When we get our first animal together it will be the cherry on top.

I got my son a Deuter Climber pack when he was 5, he was still using it last summer at 8, about due to size up though, holds sleeping gear, clothes, water and snacks easily. Got my daughter a Gregory pack when she was 7 that I think is 38 liters, will last her a long time. Got them alps quest 20 down bags for a bit over $100, they're full size, around 2lbs, should last a long time as well, not high end but good for them.

Awesome thanks for the intel @kwyeewyk Ive seen those packs on amazon so Ill look at them closer. Will check out the bag too cause thats exactly what I had in mind. Full size is fine if it makes do til he grows. Ive been using a kelty cosmic down 20* bag for years and its definitely a budget model.

My little guys have youth backpacks from Sportsmans Warehouse and they have done really well with them. Currently they are 7, 6 and 4 but they have all been going with us on hunts and hikes since they were 3 and love to have their own packs with drinks and snacks. The backpacks are pretty adjustable and have enough pockets but they aren't heavy when empty which helps.

Thanks @270.Rose I will check out what SPWH has to offer. 3 is an awesome age to start them! And I thought 4 was young haha. I agree, give em the means to be self sufficient and pull their own weight, they tend to love it.

Wrangler ATG dwr insulated pants was probably the only item I bought year after year. Kids loved them and preferred them over high end "hunting " pants.
I bought women's packs for the kids up until about 10yrs old, nobody could tell the difference.
I've got some small packs laying around that will fit your boy, I'll take a look this week

Thanks @270.Rose I will check out what SPWH has to offer. 3 is an awesome age to start them! And I thought 4 was young haha. I agree, give em the means to be self sufficient and pull their own weight, they tend to love it.
It's amazing how much kids are capable of if you keep things low pressure and make it fun. And it gives them a whole new appreciation for supper if they get to put a backstrap or the tenderloins in their pack and carry it out after the harvest!

I took my 13 year old on a backpacking hunt where he had a youth tag. Having a tag meant he was also carrying a muzzleloader. He carried a 48” long sleep pad (plenty big), eureka solitaire tent, and his own food and water. For a backpack I found a Gregory pack in extra small size. Kids are durable :)

Awesome responses all, thanks! Not sure why my notifications missed them.

@millerkiller77 Those wrangler pants sound good will definitely take a look. Ive considered women’s packs and bags too for him, especially since I want to outfit my daughter/wife in the future.

@270.Rose Absolutely right! Kids are far more capable and mature when given the opportunity to be that way! When my son hiked 3 miles with 600’ of elevation change in 2 hours carry his pack of water n snacks, I was blown away! He could have backpacked with me this year if I had the gear earlier.

@cahunter805 Ive looked on amazon for all kinds of stuff including bags. Off brands make me nervous but so long as its returnable, I may try it.

@95tigerbill Those gregory packs look nice and much more affordable than osprey. Cant wait to hunt with him on his tags! Im so excited just to bring him along you’d think I was holding a LE tag for elk in UT!

Ebay and REI used.
I don't get my kids anything "hunting" related to go hunting.

I've regretted buying a "kids" sleeping bag. Full sized is the same price (or cheaper).

If he's not getting cold then you're lucky. I have one of each, a hot-blooded boy, and a cold-blooded girl. He hardly needs gear, she needs a bag full of handwarmers.

Good advice @neffa3 Definitely looking for stuff that works over it specifically being for hunting. My other option is hand him down my sleep system and upgrade mine to a really nice one lol. Sounds like a full size bag is worth the trouble now for later.

Sounds like my kids will be similar to yours. My boy got my Norwegian genes for warmth. I can hold an frozen ice pack in my hand and warm it up, vs my wife who is the ice pack. Can already tell my baby girl is like my wife. If the room temp if off a few degrees she is screaming and freezing (5 mo’s old).

Im open to quilts for me, not sure about a 5 year old. But we will be hunting early-mid season so it shouldnt be that cold.

Warm weather gear - catch and release apparel, there DWR set and the kids grow up plan cannot be beat! Buy a set for regular price and when they need a bigger set you return it and pay half price for the bigger set! Our own @Moosie is the owner!
Matt

@Duck-Slayer Great intel there! Has anyone used a setup by @Moosie or maybe he can chime in? Website was easy to find. Wondering what a full kit costs for the first time and an average guess on replacement (cost vs years of use). Also how does trading in work with kids abusing the gear? I expect it to be destroyed.

@Duck-Slayer Great intel there! Has anyone used a setup by @Moosie or maybe he can chime in? Website was easy to find. Wondering what a full kit costs for the first time and an average guess on replacement (cost vs years of use). Also how does trading in work with kids abusing the gear? I expect it to be destroyed.
Both my kids have used his kid program the past 4 years. Initial cost is great, very affordable and awesome durability. I’ve used all his stuff the past 4 years. I have no complaints. You also just send the kids used DWR set and he sends you the size they need. Or he does exchanges at Sportsmans shows also. All use gear goes to a seamstress and then donated.
Matt

That sounds great! Thank you for sharing. I will be giving him a call in the future.

Ebay and REI used.
I don't get my kids anything "hunting" related to go hunting.

I've regretted buying a "kids" sleeping bag. Full sized is the same price (or cheaper).

If he's not getting cold then you're lucky. I have one of each, a hot-blooded boy, and a cold-blooded girl. He hardly needs gear, she needs a bag full of handwarmers.
I’ve had pretty good luck with REI used too. A few pairs of hiking shoes, headlamp, and a rain jacket.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back