Hunting Gear Thats Punches Above its Pricepoint

1. Another vote for Mora's. I have the Allaround with the 5 3/4in blade and the grippy handle (all $16 of it) and it is nothing short of amazing. Last year in WY one of the locals was helping me skin my elk and his custom skinner lost it's edge. I handed him the Mora to try and he liked it so much he skinned the whole thing. He didn't believe the price. I have about 5 different Moras (between me and the kids) and love all of them.

2. Another vote (again) for the Butt Out. On deer sized game it is a great little tool if you need to gut and keep the carcass whole. I keep a couple in my kit. One of those and a length of 550 cord make for a quick pull through.

The best buy I got from a sale bin was at a PX when I was stationed in Italy. Somehow they got a small shipment of Jack Wolfskin 2 man backpacking tents on clearance. These jokers are bombproof with 2 vestibules. For some reason nobody was buying and I got one for $40. I have used that tent since 2006 and it is great. Very stable and never a drip in some very strong storms.

Warming up by the fire.
IMG_2510toyotacorollacarfire.jpg

Porta-roof. I get a new one every year just because it makes me feel good. lol

Reactions: T55
Those wrangler outdoor pants are indeed the bees knees.

I bought a cheap puffy jacket for $8 at my local farm and ranch store, it’s been though the ringer and keeps on going.

I’ve spent many nights under a Costco down blanket. Cheap, light and very packable.

The Nomad branded clothing I have has worked very well also.

These would be a few of my heavy hitters for a low price

From Amazon:

Etekcity Ultralight Portable Outdoor Backpacking Camping Stove with Piezo Ignition
and
GOODCAMP Camping Cookware Outdoor Pot Pan Cooking Equipment Heat Exchange Desigh for Hiking Backpacking

Have been fantastic for me. A combined price of $26 is fantastic in my book. Not as slick as a jet boil, but does the job for a fraction of the price.

Coleman Trailhead II Cot is a bargin at $35, great for truck camping in the tent, or having a buddy stay in the single bed camper while hunting

Black Diamond Storm Headlamp, Dark Olive Great headlamp for $35 that includes multiple colors and intensities

I used a set of $60 recovery boards off Amazon to help a couple of guys get their truck out of the gumbo in Eastern Montana this past weekend. I will never be caught without them again.

Allen game bags, 4 pack is $35, breath well, wash easy, last years, and flies can’t blow through them like the cheesecloth type crap most stores carry.

Apparently I need to try a mora knife, thanks for the advice!

Allen game bags, 4 pack is $35, breath well, wash easy, last years, and flies can’t blow through them like the cheesecloth type crap most stores carry.

Apparently I need to try a mora knife, thanks for the advice!
I use the Alaska game bags from cabelas, they're really stretchy, you get 4 bags for under $20.

Another vote for Morakniv for rugged use.

$4 Victorinox 3” paring knife for caping. Very easy to get razor sharp. Doesn’t hold an edge but who cares when it takes 10 seconds to resharpen. I actually just use this knife for everything, including breaking down elk. It’s about knowing where to cut not prying/hacking through bones.

Concur on Mora knife, Duracell headlamps and flashlights at Costco, the BRS stove at Amazon.

TOAKS titanium pot paired with BRS stove.

Cascade Mountain Carbon Fiber Poles: https://www.amazon.com/Cascade-Moun...&sprefix=trekking+poles+carbon,aps,235&sr=8-3

Tyvek sheet for emergency tarp, tent footprint, butchering table. Free (I have a leftover roll if anyone needs some) because I got it out of a dumpster at a build site and it weigh half of what an equivalent footprint or tarp.

Sawyer Squeeze with reused Smart Water bottles.

Costco's Mountain House Emergency 15pack kit when it goes on sale for $70 with free shipping.

Costco wool trail socks. They have a new type that has the same makeup as the old Smartwool PhDs https://www.costco.com/kirkland-sig...ool-blend-sock,-6-pair.product.100771254.html

Mini Bic lighter paired with cotton balls rolled in petroleum jelly. Always works and is way cheaper than special fire starters.

Mora Knife is a good fixed blade for cheap-$15
Wrangler stretch hiking pants- Awesome for $20
BRS stove from Amazon-$8
Luci Light- Lightweight and great for tent/camp lighting.
I have a couple of those Swedish Mora knives. They just about blow away any of the "affordable" knives made in the US or China. The carbon steel ones take a much finer blade but corrode easily so keep them clean. Look at the marking on the blade to see if it's stainless. Both knives appear identical.

Bought a pair of those jeans to try in Africa this summer (Wrangler no longer makes relaxed fit cotton jeans in green color). I was pleasantly surprised.

Rapala's Martini filled knives are perhaps the best buy of all. They hold a blade like no other. The leather sheath is classic ... but also gets smelly. I bought a cheaper plastic handle Rapala knife with plastic sheath, tossed the knife (which absolutely WILL NOT take a blade), and use the sheath for Martini. The birch handle on Martini knife is also "classic" but doesn't wear well. I suggest stripping the varnish which doesn't hold up and replace with a couple coats of good gun oil or linseed based finish. My Martini is my go to for boning birds and deer and skinning client skulls for euros. It's a bit long for cape skinning but will work if careful.

I use the Alaska game bags from cabelas, they're really stretchy, you get 4 bags for under $20.
I’ve used those too but after carving fly blow off my spring bear meat I started spending the extra $15, could spent $80 more for other brands that are also great I’m sure.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back