Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Hunting gear that punches BELOW its price point

kenetrek gaiters for me as well. Elastic and velcro would work so much better on the top. that stupid clasp always comes undone, and I cannot get them tight enough with the length of the strap.

Interesting that some of my go to gear is on the list. I use the heck out of my Havalon knives. I have probably quartered up 6 or 7 elk, over a dozen deer, about as many pigs along with a few pronghorn and bears with them since the last time I broke a blade. The first couple times I used it I did break a blade or two but since then I haven't had any problems.

I also like my Kuiu Yukon gaiters although I haven't used them a whole lot.

Kenetrek gaiters here too. Lasted 1 trip I riveted them back together and they finished the year but are toast.
20211221_210945.jpg

This thread reminds me of a free farm paper my Dad reads. "Tell us your best and worst buys" is one of the monthly features. One guy crucifies Brand X combines and farm equipment and the next thinks Brand X is the handiest thing since sliced bread. Guess it's all perception.

My first couple of pairs of K-Treks were awesome. The last set (2019), junk...
Doesn't really belong on this thread but I had a similar experience. Bought a second pair of cheap Red Head Cabelas boots before going to Africa in August. I had good luck with the first pair but these didn't last into November before soles separated when I was in Montana. In a bind because of COVID supply shortages I bought a pair of relatively inexpensive Georgia hiking boots in Havre. Though not expecting much, I have been pleasantly surprised. They're probably the most comfortable thing I've ever put on my feet and they held up fine through some very hard work in awful conditions. And they still don't leak! Now that's amazing.

Interesting that some of my go to gear is on the list. I use the heck out of my Havalon knives. I have probably quartered up 6 or 7 elk, over a dozen deer, about as many pigs along with a few pronghorn and bears with them since the last time I broke a blade. The first couple times I used it I did break a blade or two but since then I haven't had any problems.

I also like my Kuiu Yukon gaiters although I haven't used them a whole lot.

Me too, love my Havalon and my Yukon gaiters are something like 7 seasons old with fairly heavy use and still performing great. Maybe it has to do with how folks use and maintain their stuff? 🤷‍♂️

I'm going to go a little different direction. This is gear that I really like, but at the same time can't understand why they cost so much.

-Benchmade fixed blade knives.
-Exo K3 pack system.
-Outdoorsman bino/tripod adapter.
-Anything Sitka.
Oh man, I have a whole list of those! Love it, would buy again in a heartbeat, but the prices still hurt every time.

I'm going to go a little different direction. This is gear that I really like, but at the same time can't understand why they cost so much.

-Benchmade fixed blade knives.
-Exo K3 pack system.
-Outdoorsman bino/tripod adapter.
-Anything Sitka.
Direct shot! I own all of those things, what does that say about me? I like the benchmade but I have other knives I paid way less than that I use just as much if not more and I can say I’d have way, way less Sitka stuff if I had paid full price for it

In the old days I preferred hunting in OD green Wrangler jeans. Not made any longer so I switched to Dickies canvas carpenter pants. About half the price of Carharts, wear longer (much longer!), and available in green (not Carharts). Canvas can get a little rough on the inside of thighs especially when new, but does a better job protecting against thistles and rose thorns. Dickies waste sizes are on the tight side and tough getting stuff out of deep front pockets.

Recently I picked up a pair of Nobel work pants, mostly because they were the right color (green). Not their canvas carpenter pants with hammer loop (which I find to be useless anyway ... when I'm carpentering I wear a carpenter belt for that). These pants are not canvas but rather a material similar to Wrangler ATG stuff, only slightly heavier. A bit stretchable like that stuff, but a helluva lot cheaper than ATG! These are extremely comfortable pants with several features I really like. The designated cell phone pocket on front of left leg is mega handy. I can get at the phone when sitting down. Also my cell's protection cover tends to pull anything else in the pocket out with it. Nice if it's in its own pocket. The stretchiness of fabric makes it easy to get into pockets and button up. No shrinkage so what you try on in the store is what you'll have after the dryer is done with it. The inseam sizing is just a bit short ... but only a bit. Ample belt loops and they are right width and mega size! No worries about wearing out or belt rotating inside them (don't ya hate that!). A curious feature is doubling the fabric at back of the heel. These cost $35 which was not expensive nor a bargain. They are comfortable, fit well, and look pretty good. I can wear my hunting pants out to dinner and not look like GI Joe or Dork Commander. Heck, I wore them to church. Personally, I don't care for camo pants. It's not necessary and looking the same head to toe is boring. I'm a hunter and not ashamed of it ... but don't care to look like a fanatic ... of anything. I plan to order several pairs of these pants ... before they're discontinued.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alexn
Back