Hunting Gear Thats Punches Above its Pricepoint

Helly Hansen rain pants. On the Alaska moose hunt where the thick brush is always soaked, they do a great job. They don’t rip and don’t leak. They cost $70 instead of $350 like less durable but breathable hunting brands.
I'll second this. I have a pair of HH rain pants that I've had for at least 10 years. They've been to Alaska both fishing and hunting multiple times and still not one rip.

Helly Hansen rain pants. On the Alaska moose hunt where the thick brush is always soaked, they do a great job. They don’t rip and don’t leak. They cost $70 instead of $350 like less durable but breathable hunting brands.
Pvc?

Crispi Nevada GTX’s. Expensive but worth every penny and more for my tired old feet!!

Unsure if anyone has said CVA Wolf. Stopped by a Walmart in February a few years ago to pick up a lightbulb for my truck and saw it on clearance for $100. It has since fired 3 rounds at deer and harvested 3 whitetail bucks over 120". Gotta be the best hundred bucks I've spent in the world of the outdoors.

Screen Shot 2021-12-27 at 8.14.25 PM.png

I have a pair of Helly Hansen commercial fishing gear that has a permanent home in my boat.
I bought them for halibut fishing in 1989 and they are still really good rain gear on windy, rainy days.

Unsure if anyone has said CVA Wolf. Stopped by a Walmart in February a few years ago to pick up a lightbulb for my truck and saw it on clearance for $100. It has since fired 3 rounds at deer and harvested 3 whitetail bucks over 120". Gotta be the best hundred bucks I've spent in the world of the outdoors.

View attachment 206849
They really did a good job with the upgrades. The previous version of the Wolf had a breech plug that required a two piece wrench, and the action release was in a metal bar just behind the trigger guard that no matter how I adjusted my hand I ended up with a knot on my middle finger every 3-4 shots at the range. The one in your post is a much improved product.

I just read a thread about winter tent and heat but felt i should add this here. If you use a buddy heater in your tent or trailer, this offseason build a "chinese diesel heater" setup! Need a 12v (charge regularly) battery but amazing and has made my hunting trailer so much nicer. If your slightly mechanically inclinded its easy and way cheap when you compare and will replace your buddy heater! I paid =$150 for kit, amazon sells several models get digital control with remote (turn on/off from sleeping bags). Anyone want to buy a big buddy heater with 20lb hose?

Jet sleds are versatile and durable and are available in a wide variety of sizes.
I have 3 and use them for over a decade hauling firewood daily during the winter.
Great place to keep the dog warm and dry during duck hunts.
Great for putting out and picking up decoys.
Handy for hauling moose quarters back to the boat
Useful to put under the outboard to catch any falling parts when working in the field.
Handy for low-profile layout shooting of ducks/geese
Handy for moving snow from areas plow can't get.
Handy for moving big 100lb propane cylinders.
moose_rifle.JPG

They can come off and if the snow is deep you will lose them. I tied some p-cord to the heel as a “safety strap” so I wouldn’t lose them. It turned out to also keep them snug so they wouldn’t slip. And keep the snow out of my boot when punching through deep snow.
Had this very issue first season this year. Tha ks for the tip

I just read a thread about winter tent and heat but felt i should add this here. If you use a buddy heater in your tent or trailer, this offseason build a "chinese diesel heater" setup! Need a 12v (charge regularly) battery but amazing and has made my hunting trailer so much nicer. If your slightly mechanically inclinded its easy and way cheap when you compare and will replace your buddy heater! I paid =$150 for kit, amazon sells several models get digital control with remote (turn on/off from sleeping bags). Anyone want to buy a big buddy heater with 20lb hose?

Just got one of those.

we use a more expensive version of these in some of the semi's I work on. they will keep a sleeper warm enough to run you out. Great units. easy to repair too.

FYI, the tip just broke off a pair we bought for the kids, less than 6 total uses. The carbon itself snapped. I will saw my daughter was skiing with it, so it was very cold, but it didn't break during a wreck, just trying to pole back to the truck in the parking lot.
bummer...I've had pretty good luck using mine. Everything from hiking to snowshoeing to skiing. Might be worth a talking to the store you purchased them from. I think Costco is where 90% got them so they may offer a replacement or refund.

bummer...I've had pretty good luck using mine. Everything from hiking to snowshoeing to skiing. Might be worth a talking to the store you purchased them from. I think Costco is where 90% got them so they may offer a replacement or refund.
That's a good call, it was costco.

Back