Hunting Gear Thats Punches Above its Pricepoint

I am with you on this. My dad has had a bunch removed. Years and years of playing baseball without sunscreen and fishing on Lake Erie have taken its toll on my face/ears/arms. Not too mention 10 years riding a Harley pretty much 10 months a year all over this country for work. I am bound to have it eventually. I lather the 70 on now. Wish I would have years ago.
People in my family either die of old age at 95 or of cancer way too young… dad and grandfather before they turned 60.

So to that end if I’m going to hunt sheep or be their at a future daughters wedding I need to stop f-ing around.

I use a lotion SPF 15 every day and then a 50+ SPF when I’m outside all day. I ordered a bunch of fishing hoodies and pants, free fly, etc for the summer…

Takes 10 seconds a day, worth it to me 🤷‍♂️

I'll play a different angle/take on this thread.

Anything from Vortex. Let me explain.

Last year, I dropped my gun while trying to get it out of my pack sling and it landed right on the Viper scope. I could hear glass was broke. Returned home and called Vortex about how to go about returning the scope for their lifetime warranty. Phone rings, a real person immediately answers. Most helpful person. Scope replaced and back on my gun in about 3 weeks time.

This year, not sure how it happened during travel but I get to my hunting spot and when I started to glass, I noticed my adjustable eyepiece was broke on my bino. By the end of the trip, it was completely broke off. Same drill - get home and call Vortex to setup the warranty replacement. Not only did a real person answer but once he got my address and saw where I was from, he started talking waterfowl hunting with me in the area.

So, in conclusion Vortex has top notch customer service and I will never have to buy an optic again in my life unless I just want to own more of something. I now own 3 rifle scopes, 2 binoculars, 1 spotting scope and 1 rangefinder. Are they the best optics on the planet? No. Are they American made? No. Are they the best value on the market? YES!!!
But had it been a leupold, meopta, Swarovski, ect, it would’ve been just fine🤣

People in my family either die of old age at 95 or of cancer way too young… dad and grandfather before they turned 60.

So to that end if I’m going to hunt sheep or be their at a future daughters wedding I need to stop f-ing around.

I use a lotion SPF 15 every day and then a 50+ SPF when I’m outside all day. I ordered a bunch of fishing hoodies and pants, free fly, etc for the summer…

Takes 10 seconds a day, worth it to me 🤷‍♂️
Yeah my grandpa died at 52 from melanoma. Gotta wear that sunscreen.

Leupold- super tough, great warranty. Dropped my first pair of cascades about 500+ times and they lasted 13 years before I had to send them in for a diopter going bad. They sent me a new pair. I’ve had a vx3 on my rifle for 22 years and it’s still crystal clear. Never been knocked out of sight.

Leki- they have amazing customer service. They don’t need proof of purchase when you break a section. Just your address and model, ship it to you for free.

Remington core lokts, and hornady interlocks. They kill game quick! And are cheaper than most.

Darn tough and Omni wool tactical socks are awesome.

Pb and j. Cheap and easy to make! Quick energy. Never gets old!

Yeah my grandpa died at 52 from melanoma. Gotta wear that sunscreen.
I lathered crap on myself for most of my life. Lost my freckles by 12,they burnt off. Had lots of basil cell stuff removed. Wore every expensive brand of sunscreen,til they were recalled....50 plus.
Long sleeves & hats work for me now. That and no more lake patrol nor surfing everyday I'm off.

Honestly, can’t believe I forgot about this one… and I know a lot of you will think it’s silly.

Best face sunscreen period. It's a little on the pricey side especially compared to banana boat, but I usually wear long sleeves with hoods hunting so I only use it on my face and therefore it lasts forever.

Why is it awesome... waterproof, high SPF, and it's not oily and doesn't leave a white cast to your face like many sunscreens (esp) those with zinc tend to do.

My wife bought it... I was like... OMG WTF is this stuff... took it hunting this fall both my buddies were really surprised by it as well.

Bottle also is small and non-explodey which is nice.

View attachment 210709
Good info. I spend a lot of time on the boat in the summer and have at least 2 bottles of screen in their at all times. Also, have invested in good UPF clothing as well. As a fair skinned freckled guy of northern European descent it doesn't take much for me to crisp up.

Last edited:
I have a pair that's worked very well for me. At $400, though, I don't know if I'd call it punching *above* it's price point. Been worth the money for me though!
they had tibets on camofire for $290 the other day, could not resist. been wearing tibets for many years.

Mora knife.
Energizer headlamp.
My bow from 2009. Every time I do my job, it has done it's job. :)

Wrangler Outdoor Pants and Costco Travel Pants. I wear those bad boys in everything from Summer Scouting to December Elk Hunts
Walmart Camo Shirts. People hate on them, but for like $4-6 I can get a long-sleeved polyester shirt in a camo pattern I like.
Outdoor Edge replaceable blade knife. Enough said.
I get pullovers and jackets from REI and Bike Clothing Stores - they seem to go on sale more often than hunting clothing and have great performance.
Camo buffs/facemaks from Amazon: decently breathable, keep my face concealed (definitely helped on my buck this year), and you can get a pack of 5 for like $8.

EDIT:
Also had to add the Sig Kilo rangefinder. Works incredibly well for the price - haven't seen it mentioned yet.

Last edited:
Ebay Merlino wool. Seriously. I have purchased two olive green sweaters that are amazing. 7 bucks for one and 9 for the other. One was Brooks Brothers can't remember the other but it was made in Italy.
eBay or thrift stores can be a great way to find merino and other hunting clothing. I scored a Kuhl merino shirt and a Kuiu long sleeve shirt at Goodwill.

Wrangler Outdoor Pants and Costco Travel Pants. I wear those bad boys in everything from Summer Scouting to December Elk Hunts
Walmart Camo Shirts. People hate on them, but for like $4-6 I can get a long-sleeved polyester shirt in a camo pattern I like.
Outdoor Edge replaceable blade knife. Enough said.
I get pullovers and jackets from REI and Bike Clothing Stores - they seem to go on sale more often than hunting clothing and have great performance.
Camo buffs/facemaks from Amazon: decently breathable, keep my face concealed (definitely helped on my buck this year), and you can get a pack of 5 for like $8.

EDIT:
Also had to add the Sig Kilo rangefinder. Works incredibly well for the price - haven't seen it mentioned yet.
Wrangler outdoor pants are great

MoraKniv's for the Field. I have two with orange handles. I used to have a Benchmade Hidden Canyon that I love but left somewhere in Montana with its leather sheath. I now use the MoraKnivs that I got for under $30.

I use Victorinox Boning knife for processing at home.

Meopta and Kowa for glass. Get alpha level glass and save a couple thousand.
Good suggestions on the knives!
I like to use carpet hook utility blades for skinning.

$9 Mora knife from Murdochs. When my Benchmade got dull I grabbed it out of a friends pack and dang if it didn't work wonders. I bought 2 blaze orange ones in town the next day. They are carbon steel not stainless so you do have to take care so they don't rust

Wrangler Outdoors stretch pants...basically Prana Zion but like $20
100% on the knives and pants!

i'm a huge fan of that outdoor edge knife.

so far my REI magma 10 degree bag has been awesome, quite cheaper than some pretty premium bags.

i found a pair of sitka mountain gloves in the bargain cave for like 45 dollars 4 years ago... holy shit i am in love with those gloves. i'd argue they probably punch above their current retail price of 119 bucks. i'd buy another pair in a heartbeat if i needed to, i honestly just can't tell when in the heck i will need to replace them.
Back when the bargain cave still had bargains :(

I’m definitely going to check out the mora knives! Are you all running the carbon or the stainless ones? I have a Benchmade saddle hunter right now and love it but wouldn’t mind have a secondary.
7629D372-1EC0-421C-967D-DC624B951A12.jpeg
I used this last year and definitely a upgrade from what I had prior. I think I paid $80.

Just bought a Gerry Performance Hoodie for $10 from Costco - that thing punches way above its price point. Planning to use that for everything from summer scouting to a base layer for rutting bucks.

Powdered meal replacement. I use Huel and Kachava.

Most people opt for things like mountain house which are not great nutritionally, loaded with garbage, and can cause "logjam" of you are not used to eating them. Not to mention being expensive. Or they go for sugary granola bars, candy bars, spam, chips, gatorade, and other low quality food when hunting which adds up quick.

Powdered means are much better for you, easier to prepare, help you hydrate, ultralight to pack, and are loaded with things that are actually good for you. Not to mention cheap, which was the point of the thread. For $3-5 you can get a good bit of nutrition.

I think hunters often overlook these food options.

Powdered meal replacement. I use Huel and Kachava.

Most people opt for things like mountain house which are not great nutritionally, loaded with garbage, and can cause "logjam" of you are not used to eating them. Not to mention being expensive. Or they go for sugary granola bars, candy bars, spam, chips, gatorade, and other low quality food when hunting which adds up quick.

Powdered means are much better for you, easier to prepare, help you hydrate, ultralight to pack, and are loaded with things that are actually good for you. Not to mention cheap, which was the point of the thread. For $3-5 you can get a good bit of nutrition.

I think hunters often overlook these food options.
Are you eating any solid foods with these? I have no experience with meal replacement shakes

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ambushpredator
Back