Video: Ideal Backpack Hunting Gear Setup

sureshotshane

I made a video of my backpack hunting gear. I've been through a lot of gear and I'm quite happy with my current setup so I wanted to share with folks. There are similar videos out there with backpacking setups but I feel like they have something to sell, are sponsored, or some other bias. I have nothing to gain, except I hope my hunting buddies watch the video so they can have more energy on the mountain.

There is so much good gear out there, this is just one combination.

You'll probably get a little sticker shock once you find out the price of some of the equipment. I didn't purchase this stuff overnight. It's been years, I like to use gear until it breaks or falls to pieces and I'm the type that would rather spend my money on tags and fuel, even if it means I have to suffer a bit with older heavier gear. With that said - now that I have it, I'm really satisfied.

My typical hunting tactic is to be where I want to glass, and that's where I'll setup a camp. I do not like having to wake up 3 hours before sunrise and hike 5 miles up hill just to get there a little late and have the deer already bed down for the morning. I assume just camp where I want to be. I've shot deer and bears from camp. Most my camps are on the tops of mountains or ridges where exposure is terrible and water often nonexistent. It's not uncommon to have to pack in all my own water, or hike out of my way to find it. I like to be mobile so when hunting pressure increases or the game scarce, I pick up and leave. I almost always have all my gear on my back. I got tired of walking back to a camp when I ended up finding game 2 miles away or killing something off the backside of the mountain. I can sleep practically anywhere and be content.

This setup is ideal for 3-4 day hunt. If I'm going out longer I would bring more spare batteries and stove fuel. This is the same gear I would bring for a solo hunt or with friends, I'd try to split some weight for community items with them but I always insist on using my equipment. Even when using pack stock or river rafting I like to keep it as light as possible and my pack wouldn't look much different.

I could definitely make my pack a little bit lighter, for example, my tripod is ridiculously heavy. I just haven't built up the courage to spend the cash on the tripod I want because my tripod is functional and very sturdy. I do include a couple of luxury items that I certainly could live without. Also I do like certain redundancies.

I'm not a videographer or editor, video is for information over entertainment. I just know enough to get by, so apologies for the imperfect quality.

I hope it's not against the forum rules to link to YouTube.

Click here for video

Backpack Hunting Gear Weight.png

Attachments

• Backpack Hunting Gear Weight.png
    Backpack Hunting Gear Weight.png
    397.5 KB · Views: 26
Hahaha, what more could you want? This is my list for when I want to backpack in luxury. It definitely can get more primitive than this.
I like your setup it's relatively close to mine.

Thanks for sharing

Inlik4 seeing pack lists and see new gadgets that little block and tackle is going on my wish list and in my moose kit.
I had to watch the video after I saw that. That little bugger is pretty slick looking especially for larger moose and such.

Cool gadget!

I like seeing pack lists and see new gadgets that little block and tackle is going on my wish list and in my moose kit.
Those Pack-A-Pulls are great. I've got a couple and have bought them for friends too. Makes hanging an elk a lot easier, especially solo.

Excellent presentation. I’d definitely be interested in viewing videos for food and clothing if you get the time. I’m one that isn’t in the greatest shape, and I’ll be honest, I’m a touch lazy…😂😂😂. Those are the justifications I give myself for spending extra and trying to find the lightest gear I can. I need all the advantages possible. Thanks for sharing!

Excellent presentation. I’d definitely be interested in viewing videos for food and clothing if you get the time. I’m one that isn’t in the greatest shape, and I’ll be honest, I’m a touch lazy…😂😂😂. Those are the justifications I give myself for spending extra and trying to find the lightest gear I can. I need all the advantages possible. Thanks for sharing!
Thanks Derek. I’ll be making some more videos but it might have to wait until after turkey season.

A note on being out of shape… I definitely haven’t lost my entire Covid-50 lbs. I know guys that look like they are in good shape and huff and puff up mountains and give up. Meanwhile, I have friends that look out-of-shape but have the mental strength to tough it day in and day out. I also know some older average looking overweight guys who can flat move in the mountains.

Like the old wrestling coach used to say and nobody believes at the time - it’s all mental. I say… well mostly.

Mental drive and positivity are more important. I always keep a disgustingly positive attitude and my hunting partners hate it.

Back