Hunt planning blues

VAspeedgoat

Well I am done planning my first mule deer trip and currently waiting on draw results. My hunt of 4 has fallen to a hunt of 2 and was curious if this was the norm. When I planned my first pronghorn trip it fell from 7 to 3. So far its been little league coaching, divorce, new job, and a lot of short leashes. It all works out in the end but I'm starting to wonder if its just me. Oh well, I just talk/brag about it in front of them if they start giving me lip about how "lucky" I am just to go. I guess my luck starts about 2 years ahead of time when I get started planning and researching the trip.

My group is now only 2. Cause that's all that ever ended up going after the 1st year anyway.

I like it better that way. There was always someone bitching about the "big hill" they had to walk up or down or the "thick stuff" they had to fight their way though or they were hungry or blah blah blah. "Are you here to eat or kill critters? If you wanted to whine and eat I would have left ya at chucky cheese!"

They never killed anything anyway cause they didn't want to work.

I'm sure it's nice having a few others to help with expenses coming from VA but you need to get out and go regardless of others. Ya, it's nice to share the experience with a few others but I would rather be hunting than sitting at home letting others dictate my hunts. I started doing the majority of my trips each fall solo because of this exact thing. I hate excuses and depending on others because most of the time they are going to let you down. It's also more fun hunting solo and making your own decisions in the field IMO. Plan your hunt, load up your gear, and head west! You will have a great hunt! Take lots of pictures so they can see what they missed out on :)

Anything above one is 'normally' unreliable and attrition, in my experience, is a given above 2.

My hunting trip plans never rely upon anyone else any more. I might coordinate my plans with the plans of someone else, but I never count on them. Nearly every one of my out of state hunts has been solo. That way, I never get the blues!

Just wait till you put in all the hard work, get the reputation with all your coworkers and friends back east for killing critters out west, and then see how your recruitment efforts go. :D

In my experience, this is pretty common. This type of hunting is a big mental leap for alot of first time guys.

Just wait till you put in all the hard work, get the reputation with all your coworkers and friends back east for killing critters out west, and then see how your recruitment efforts go. :D

In my experience, this is pretty common. This type of hunting is a big mental leap for alot of first time guys.

x2.
My 1st elk hunt out west was a real eye opener. You have to be mentally ready as much or more than you are physically. I was neither on my 1st trip.
'
My 1 buddy that I hunt with is about as reliable as they come. for which I'm very thankful.

Yep! Lots of guys I know here in IN want to go with me on a hunt west. Until it's time to commit money or time. Then the group gets really small really fast.

When I post for Alaska hunt partners, I typically get a bunch of responses, until I send them info on the time and cost requirements. That weeds out most of the traffic, and gets me down to a few guys who really want to do it. I've been fortunate to hunt Alaska with a few different partners, most of whom were found on this forum.

Keep plugging away - over time you'll find a few partners who you can count on.

Yes, this!!
After years of figuring out a few spots, gear, draws, timing, logistics, and everything else involved - NOW everybody wants to 'try hunting out west' with you.

I have always thought that 2 was perfect number, Depend on each other! Hard to back out if your are planning together.

Of course shit happens.

I have found that the more people you have planning to go hunting with you, the more chances you have of them backing out.

I am lucky that all 4 of us in my camp are active or retired military. We plan like an Op, are good with division of labor and the bitchin'/moanin' is very minimal. It is funny to watch how our camp sets up and what we get done versus some of the folks that seem "lost in the sauce". In 4 years we have yet to be skunked while many of the camp in the area seem to have trouble. Hard work is pretty natural to us.

I blame Mdhunter61 for my new found Alaska addiction.You think finding someone for muleys/antelope is tough.Try finding someone for Alaska
My western hunts are planned solo and I invite a couple guys which I know for sure the will go.You have now found that one guy.You may get lucky and find another one maybe two who you can count on.I've gone out a few times solo.Don't let others decide your hunts for you.Any antelope or muley hunt can easily be done solo

I am pretty lucky with the one going. He has taken it as serious as me. We both have started exercising more and talk several times a week about new things we have read, seen, or talked with people about. He even joined hunt talk as vaslickhead so that says alot too. Things do seem to work out for the best. Its nice to have somebody with similar goals and expectations. The last guy to back out always wanted to talk inches and score. Thats not my cup of tea on a normal hunt much less my first mule deer hunt. I kinda feel like a weight has been lifted off my shoulders. Nothing like having to babysit an adult!

I hear ya. It gets hard to get people to commit and even harder to help with the planning. One of the hunts I've been planning is Wyoming elk for a few years down the road. Last year my friend told me that he bought his elk point after the third time I reminded him. Then, a few months later we're talking about the hunt and he says that he just told me he bought the point so I'd quit reminding him but ended up forgetting to buy it. Any more, I just plan a hunt and tell a few people what I'm doing and they can come if they want.

I coudn't agree more. I have people hint or ask about going all the time. Quite honestly, the group of people on this earth that I would want to hunt with for an extended period of time on camp type hunts is very short..... and the list hasn't grown in the last 10 years...

Also, It's not lucky that you get to go. It simply takes some research and "want to". I've heard this one as well. People say that I'm lucky to go on all the hunts and remote fishing trips that I do. The truth is that it doesn't cost that much if you make it a priority and don't waste money on other crap.

We go on a lot of remote canoe trips in far northern Ontario (close to Pickle Lake), float down the river for 40 or 50 miles and get picked up 7 days later via a float plane. I can't tell you the number of people I talk to, who can't fathom not being connected to the outside world for 7 days and are worried that "something might happen". You are spot on with the mental leap. Some people don't want to take the jump because they can't take the mental leap. I think they'd change that if they experienced the thrill of stalking a pronghorn, sitting on a mountain top glassing some monester mule deer or catching 100 walleyes in a day. They have no idea what thye are missing!

Happens every year. I don't even ask people anymore, they ask me about going, then back out at the last minute. If they come they come, if they don't I go without them.

Having said that,there have been a couple hunts I've shared with friends (or made new friends along the way), and that does help with my morale as well as keeping my mind off of home.

I think many of have delusions of grandeur when it comes to the idea of going on a hunting trip. They think little of of the logistical, financial and time commitments. Hopefully they return to reality sooner rather than later.

While I haven't had a lot of hunting partners, those that tried fell off early and I was able to make additional arrangements. Those that I have gone hunting with or am still planning too if we can get drawn are solid and for that I've been blessed with no drama.

I got my buddy to go to Montana for his first elk hunt last on less than a months notice, convo pretty much went like this.

Since your schedule is now open you want to go elk hunting with me?
Yes, what do I need to do
Buy a big game combo from MT FWP
Okay, should I book us flights
Yes that'd be awesome, I'll get the truck rented
Cool, where are we sleeping
I'll book a hotel
Sweet, done.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno