Caribou Gear

How important is it to you to own a Handgun?/ Tangent CAR THREAD

Own a couple of revolvers and a 9mm. Never carry 9mm. Do carry one revolver. Spend alot of time in the woods by myself. As Huntmt28 stated "2 legged" critters more of a concern. 15 years ago or so ran into strange dude in the Jemez and he was carrying and asked for my pack. I didn't hesitate to give up the goods because I was in no position to argue as I was unarmed. I'm not paranoid about it but when I'm solo in the forest I just carry my revolver as habit now.

I feel like I've been running into more and more people of questionable character in the mountains over the past few years. I now sometimes carry a pistol because of who I might run into when I get back to my truck at the trailhead. I'm not paranoid, I'd just like to come home to my family at the end of the day...

I have one that I bought and two I inherited. They are by far my least used guns, BUT I'm very happy to have them.

I don't collect guns, to me they are tools. Decades ago when I raised a lot of exotic pheasants in the foothills of the Sierra Nevadas I bought a double action 9 shot .22 revolver that I wore every time I went into my aviaries and it was loaded with shotshells so that I could kill every wood rat that I saw. Those wood rats were drawn in by the bird feed but they would on occasion kill birds too and eat the face.
Later I bought a .44 mag for hunting and the only thing that I have killed with it is a javelina and some quail.
IMG_1983.JPG20210827_095535.jpg

Last edited:
I have all ways been into arrow launchers and bullet launchers but the past 15 years or so I find I shoot my hand guns more frequently than all other weapons. I really believe they are great practice for the shooters mind/trigger pull etc. I used to carry a 222mag as a varmint truck gun but now a glock 10mm got the job.

Do you feel like you need a handgun in your collection?

Up until this March I had a Ruger revolver in .357/.38 and I really kind of forgot I had it. I seldom wanted to carry it, and I sure shot my bow a lot more when I needed "target therapy". I've never been in a situation where I felt I needed it to protect me, and the only animal it killed was a Cancer Eye Cow in 1996.

Now that I DON'T have it, I feel empty. I've been eyeing a Taurus 608 as its replacement. I don't want an Automatic. I want something jamproof and mechanically simple and safe. To me that means a double action revolver. I like the idea of 8 shots. I like the ported 4" barrel.
100%. I've sold my pistols a couple times and always regretted it. My Dad gifted me his Ruger American Super Blackhawk (full with 7" barrel) that I've always kept and I also shoot my bow and rifles much more then my pistols. But I think it is important to own and know how to use competently a handgun or 10.
I have plans to buy more then the 3 that I have but they don't see a lot of use.
I'd recommend looking at the Ruger's again but or even 'bumping up' to a S&W - but if you like that Taurus then definitely get it.
Ruger Super Blackhawk .44 Mag
H&R .22LR
Sig P365 9mm

I am not sure I could live without one. All the times I have spent shooting cans, bowling pins, etc... with family members no longer living, my daughters, and hopefully grandkids someday...

There is just something about seeing a kids face when they squeeze the Ruger Single Six off and knock the can over. That will never get old for me. Builds hand eye coordination and memories.

Meh, I could go either way.

I have one but I cant tell you the last time I have used it. It just sits in the locked gun cabinet... I suppose it gives my wife a little comfort knowing that its there (and knows how to use it) in case some awful thing happens while I'm out in the backcountry. It wasn't expensive and it wouldn't sell for much, so it stays... but honestly, I don't think I care to have it.

I started shooting handguns very young. I talked my Dad into letting me shoot his off duty gun, a 38 spec. Colt Detective special. This was prior to me being old enough for grade school. He knelt behind me and caught my hands due to recoil. Now that was a hand cannon to me LOL.

After that I got a little older and started with 22's, then onto 38's & 357's. Since then I have shot and owned 22's, 38 & 357mag, 9mm, 40s&w, 10mm, 41mag,44mag,45acp,45colt,454, 7mmtcu, 221fireball & 7mm br.

Some were my duty guns and some are just because I want them guns. I suppose over the years I shot my duty & off duty handguns 10's of thousands of rounds over the course of 28 years in law enforcement. I've taken mule deer and antelope with my handguns and countless gophers and prairie dogs plus grouse.

As you can see by the various reply's everyone has their own level of comfort of handguns. I think it is because of where you live and how your elders thought/felt about them. Or if it involved your job, some of our new Deputy's had no experience with firearms much less handguns. Again it depends on how you grew up, as for me I'm still in the growing up phase :)

To each his/her own just don't try to tell me I need to change to meet your standards.

Dan

Never owned one, never really wanted one. Others, legally living in USA, go for it.

Now in WY, it's crossing my mind more and more, for two reasons:
1) Coyotes. While blood trailing a deer bow shot at sunset, they started howling. By the time I was done gutting there were CLOSE and several. Made me nervous.

2) Supposedly wolves in this area now, no grizzly, but coyotes, mountain lion and now wolves. Hmmm, maybe it's time. Wouldn't carry routinely, but hunting and hiking, maybe.

Not real important for me personally. They work when working the traplines, but I prefer the lever rifle for protection. One of the problems here is the weather and clothing make them harder to use than a lever rifle in an emergency or even a shotgun from a canoe or sled.

In the U.S., if you have a concealed carry permit in one state, does that allow you to conceal carry in all states or just the state your licensed in ?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrGeauxNewMexico
Back