Caribou Gear

How important is it to you to own a Handgun?/ Tangent CAR THREAD

I don't own a handgun. Have never owned a handgun. I do enjoy shooting them though.

I think one day I will have one just for the heck of it.

My woman keeps one in her car/nightstand all the time so if I ever need to use one I will commandeer that one.

S&W 629 classic which is a safe queen, and a S&W 622 that I use and abuse on a regular basis. Killed several grouse, squirrels, coyotes, and miscellaneous other vermin with it plus it's cheap to shoot. Had a couple other revolvers and let them go. Maybe a Glock some day.

Had to have one, bought a ruger blackhawk in 41 magnum in about 1988. Shot it a bunch, tried to hunt with it a couple times. I missed a couple deer with it and its been pretty much a boat anchor since.

Last year I shot it couple times and took it to AZ on a javelina HAM hunt but used my muzzleloader instead.

I've been shooting it a bit again and thinking of trying to shoot a deer with it this fall...I have the perfect place to try it.

Also have my late Grandfather's ruger single six that I shot quite often with him when I was very young. Used it on my trapline quite a bit. I enjoy shooting it every now and then with the .22 mag cylinder, pretty darn good with it to 50-60 yards.

I don't have a lot of use for them, but I like the ones I have.

Yes! I couldn't imagine range day without running ammo through a handgun or 3...

Had to have one, bought a ruger blackhawk in 41 magnum in about 1988. Shot it a bunch, tried to hunt with it a couple times. I missed a couple deer with it and its been pretty much a boat anchor since.

Last year I shot it couple times and took it to AZ on a javelina HAM hunt but used my muzzleloader instead.

I've been shooting it a bit again and thinking of trying to shoot a deer with it this fall...I have the perfect place to try it.

Also have my late Grandfather's ruger single six that I shot quite often with him when I was very young. Used it on my trapline quite a bit. I enjoy shooting it every now and then with the .22 mag cylinder, pretty darn good with it to 50-60 yards.

I don't have a lot of use for them, but I like the ones I have.
Those are two good ones to own.

I own several. Here in the Hoosier state we can carry them when archery hunting and a bullet on a coyote is much cheaper than a arrow. Before they allowed rifle hunting you could use rifle cartridges in a pistol to deer hunt and my T/C Encore pistol in .308 is scary accurate from a rest at impressive ranges. I find them quite useful when doing any outdoor activities where carrying a long gun is just cumbersome. The guys that are good with a sidearm can do some amazing things with them!

Can’t say that it’s necessarily important but it’s enjoyable and a right I wouldn’t want to have taken from me. Have a couple of 9’s, .22/.22mag, .44mag, .357, and a black powder in .44

Handguns are just plain fun and challenging to shoot. Not sure why one would be considered "paranoid" for owning or carrying one, when did being prepared become a detriment?
Consider some hunters live in a place that "Handguns" are not hunting tools, some may be put off but them. BUT if you have one you need to make it an extension of your arm. Not a trivial thing. More people are hurt by someone not knowing what they are doing with one.

Case in point- in a class for CC there was a woman that NEVER handled a hand gun and when it came to Range time she started waving it around with her finger on the trigger like she used her hands to talk. Instead of taking a class on proper handling of hand guns first.
Needless to say the instructor disarmed her and told her to leave. And have her husband come get the boxed hand gun.

With everything training and retraining are essential. Just collecting is ok, but not in a situation were life is on the line.

For people who know me pretty well It blows their mind when they find out I don’t own a handgun. I like shooting them and a have a lot of fun with them on occasion, but anytime when I’ve had a little disposable income there’s always been something else I've wanted more. Eventually I’m sure I’ll end up with one or two, I’ve thought on it a lot over the years.
I’ve never felt the need to carry one, I always feel pretty safe even when crawling through brush after a wounded hog and such. If I had one I doubt I’d ever hardly carry it around much. I rarely even carry a knife in my pocket cause I don’t like toting stuff around.
I for sure support everyone’s right own them and to carry them, open, concealed or however they choose.

I’ve definitely thought about selling my 1911.
I don’t really enjoy shooting it and it just sits under my bed.
Ahem.

Talk to me if you keep going down that road, lol. I've always wanted a 1911, haven't tried to convince my wife to let me buy one yet.

Regarding the topic, I agree with @BrentD above. I'm passionate about the right to own, but not very passionate about owning. I've told several people that I'm a hunter, but not a "gun guy" per se. I only care about having enough guns to get the job done on the hunts I do, with a couple just for fun (like the AR I picked up last year). I will likely never have an extensive gun collection, and certainly none that I don't use (safe queens).

Consider some hunters live in a place that "Handguns" are not hunting tools, some may be put off but them. BUT if you have one you need to make it an extension of your arm. Not a trivial thing. More people are hurt by someone not knowing what they are doing with one.

Case in point- in a class for CC there was a woman that NEVER handled a hand gun and when it came to Range time she started waving it around with her finger on the trigger like she used her hands to talk. Instead of taking a class on proper handling of hand guns first.
Needless to say the instructor disarmed her and told her to leave. And have her husband come get the boxed hand gun.

With everything training and retraining are essential. Just collecting is ok, but not in a situation were life is on the line.
So you agree that being prepared is a good thing?

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joe Orth
Back